Close call today.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
Moose
500 Club

Re: Close call today.

Unread postby Moose » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:09 pm

It's crazy how fast things can happen. Glad to hear your ok. Add another story to tell now!

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:That in Tennessee? Didn't realize they had cottonmouths.

Yeah everywhere west of Nashville has cottonmouths.

Screenshot_20210729-193305_DuckDuckGo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:34 pm

No thanks
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:I cross paths with them often, just step side keep moving. I was bit by Copperhead when I was 10 years old. Always looking for them after that.

I'd be worried about those in the early season since their markings are a perfect match for the forest floor
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Yikes! I didn't realize cottonmouths were in TN.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:59 pm

In LA you would have tripped over 3 more running 60 yards lol. Glad you are ok and don’t sweat it, those aren’t holes from fangs, even big cotton mouths have needle sized fangs that wouldn’t leave holes like that.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 pm

JakeB wrote:In LA you would have tripped over 3 more running 60 yards lol. Glad you are ok and don’t sweat it, those aren’t holes from fangs, even big cotton mouths have needle sized fangs that wouldn’t leave holes like that.

I didn't feel a strike against boot so your probably right.

Not sure how holes could have gotten in boots though.

The other times I've been hit it their was a tremendous amount of force behind it.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:31 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:I cross paths with them often, just step side keep moving. I was bit by Copperhead when I was 10 years old. Always looking for them after that.

I'd be worried about those in the early season since their markings are a perfect match for the forest floor

Juvenile cottonmouths look very similar to copperhead just heavier bodied and darker patterns.

They blend in perfect on our leaves in the forest floor.

Juvenile cottonmouth photo . They do turn very dark brown and even black after maturity. I'll take copperhead anyday over a cotton mouth encounter. Though tbh im not a fan of either.

Screenshot_20210730-025613_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Eddiegomes83 wrote:That in Tennessee? Didn't realize they had cottonmouths.

Yeah everywhere west of Nashville has cottonmouths.

Screenshot_20210729-193305_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Crazy. Who knew.

We went on vacation up there and I was walking carelessly all around the water thinking i was safe.

They are all over here in Florida
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:33 pm

Man thats crazy. Id be checking my foot for holes and my undies for streaks...
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Today I was scouting a hardwood ridge and found some small rubs that went across a creek and decided to follow.
Their was a few ferns and some small plants.

The stream had just a trickle of water and was about 12 inches wide. I scanned all infront of me and saw nothing took the next step and on the backside of a plant was a 2 foot long cottonmouth.

My left boot was less then a foot from his tail.
When I saw him I immediately freaked jumped and ran about 60 yards onto the next point. I don't really remember crossing the creek it happened so fast.

My heart beating out of my chest and sweating in this heat.
I walked 20 minutes back to the car and began searching my feet and legs saw no puncture marks. And drove home.

Upon getting home I took my boots out and examined them the bottom had 2 marks in the leather. I didn't feel a strike but the boot looks like it occurred. Still feel ok no burning in foot, streaks, shortness of breath ect.

Definitely a scary experience and I'm still on edge.

I was so careful searching every next step I took.they blend in soo well.

Anyways its been 2 hours now and I'm still alive so thats a plus. Won't be going back to that creek anytime soon.

Bear Grease: Snake Bit

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0530261721
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:50 pm

buttonbuck wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Today I was scouting a hardwood ridge and found some small rubs that went across a creek and decided to follow.
Their was a few ferns and some small plants.

The stream had just a trickle of water and was about 12 inches wide. I scanned all infront of me and saw nothing took the next step and on the backside of a plant was a 2 foot long cottonmouth.

My left boot was less then a foot from his tail.
When I saw him I immediately freaked jumped and ran about 60 yards onto the next point. I don't really remember crossing the creek it happened so fast.

My heart beating out of my chest and sweating in this heat.
I walked 20 minutes back to the car and began searching my feet and legs saw no puncture marks. And drove home.

Upon getting home I took my boots out and examined them the bottom had 2 marks in the leather. I didn't feel a strike but the boot looks like it occurred. Still feel ok no burning in foot, streaks, shortness of breath ect.

Definitely a scary experience and I'm still on edge.

I was so careful searching every next step I took.they blend in soo well.

Anyways its been 2 hours now and I'm still alive so thats a plus. Won't be going back to that creek anytime soon.

Bear Grease: Snake Bit

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0530261721

Thanks for posting interesting podcast.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:57 am

Glad you're okay.

This past weekend we were yurt camping at a place that's near some hunting spots of mine. I'd thought about going scouting while my wife and some girlfriends of her's had nature girl time at the camp. I forgot to grab my snake boots and snake gaitors in my haste to leave Friday evening, though. I still thought about going, but decided against it as here in Georgia, there are plenty of slithery venomous things and didn't want risk getting hit, on my own, and away from cell coverage. Instead we did 3D archery and then floated in tubes in the lake the yurt's front up to with iced down beverages. Just decided the pursuit of hunting wasn't worth taking a risk like that. Like you, I've seen a bunch of snakes in the woods. They are unnerving!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:35 am

Sounds exciting! Glad you’re ok and sounds like it didn’t strike from what JakeB said so that’s good. I saw 4 or 5 rattlers this week and a couple big ones. I did get surprised by a juvenile that blended in perfectly but all the rest I just stayed away from. I don’t mind snakes just like to see them before they surprise me. I have stepped within striking range of a couple rattlers but never had one try to strike thankfully.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:54 am

As Jake said … we have so many down here in south Louisiana, my motto I tell the guys that hunt with me…

” if you ain’t looking for them you never see them. Hurry up let’s get on stand” :lol:

I usually smell them before seeing them. The six sense per say.
Glad you didn’t get hit man.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”