Anyone squirrel hunt?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
User avatar
austin1990
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 pm
Location: Arkansas
Status: Online

Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 pm

Best time of the year is upon us! Nothing beats ripe hickory trees and a good cool morning for killing some squirrels! I dont get to go as much as I used to, but I still manage to get in a few hunts, mostly while scouting for deer sign. This is one hunt from last weekend, gonna head out shortly and try to get another limit today.
20210906_093527.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


KRONIIK
500 Club
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:14 am

I do! I do!
I have loved hunting squirrels since I was eight or nine. (Ok so legal hunting age was twelve back then, but the Statute of Limitations has long-since expired;)
I have vowed to do do more of it this year than the last few years.

Love your pic; I have similar pics of past hunts but with less than half that many kills; our Wisconsin daily bag limit is only five.
They seem to be an underhunted species; I kinda wish the DNR would raise the limit for those of us who do participate, but it's not a big deal.
Around here even a limit of five is a good day, or at least a good morning anyway.

I shoot a Remington 541-S that is an absolute squirrel eye-puncher-outer.Your rig seems like it likes to do the same.

(Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is not a crime, it's a sin as far as I'm concerned.)
Just kidding; just not my thing anymore though I had no qualms about blasting them with a .410 when I was a kid.


Regardless of what anybody chooses to shoot them with, you show me a good squirrel hunter and I'll show you a good HUNTER!!
Chad Gus 715
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun May 17, 2020 2:52 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:12 am

As a kid there was nothing funner that hunting squirrels in the fall and cottontails in the winter. Got away from it for a good while, till i had a son of my own. He killed his first squirrel when he was 7, we would go 5 or 6 times every fall, now he's in high school and his sports schedule and buddies take up most of his free time. Gonna have to make it a priority to go a time or two this fall again.

Pretty sure this was his first one
attachment=0]20131013_111517_zpsab3hwk4l.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
equal opportunity hunter
User avatar
rfickes87
500 Club
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:27 am
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:07 am

austin1990 wrote:Best time of the year is upon us! Nothing beats ripe hickory trees and a good cool morning for killing some squirrels! I dont get to go as much as I used to, but I still manage to get in a few hunts, mostly while scouting for deer sign. This is one hunt from last weekend, gonna head out shortly and try to get another limit today.20210906_093527.jpg


How do you cook them? Whats some good recipes?
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
User avatar
austin1990
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 pm
Location: Arkansas
Status: Online

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:11 am

KRONIIK wrote:I do! I do!
I have loved hunting squirrels since I was eight or nine. (Ok so legal hunting age was twelve back then, but the Statute of Limitations has long-since expired;)
I have vowed to do do more of it this year than the last few years.

Love your pic; I have similar pics of past hunts but with less than half that many kills; our Wisconsin daily bag limit is only five.
They seem to be an underhunted species; I kinda wish the DNR would raise the limit for those of us who do participate, but it's not a big deal.
Around here even a limit of five is a good day, or at least a good morning anyway.

I shoot a Remington 541-S that is an absolute squirrel eye-puncher-outer.Your rig seems like it likes to do the same.

(Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is not a crime, it's a sin as far as I'm concerned.)
Just kidding; just not my thing anymore though I had no qualms about blasting them with a .410 when I was a kid.


Regardless of what anybody chooses to shoot them with, you show me a good squirrel hunter and I'll show you a good HUNTER!!



The remington 541s are great guns and accurate! The one I was shooting that day is a cz 452 and its deadly accurate. I've got a handful of good 22s I rotate through. Daily limit here in AR is 12, but most mornings I'll shoot 6-8 and call it a day.
User avatar
austin1990
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 pm
Location: Arkansas
Status: Online

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 am

rfickes87 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:Best time of the year is upon us! Nothing beats ripe hickory trees and a good cool morning for killing some squirrels! I dont get to go as much as I used to, but I still manage to get in a few hunts, mostly while scouting for deer sign. This is one hunt from last weekend, gonna head out shortly and try to get another limit today.20210906_093527.jpg


How do you cook them? Whats some good recipes?

Pretty much any recipe out there for chicken, you can substitute squirrel in and itll be great. My favorite is squirrel quarters from 4-6 squirrels In a crockpot on low for 8 hours or so with 1 can of cream of chicken, and 1 can of cream of mushroom. But fried squirrel in a pan is hard to beat, so is squirrel and dumplings. A friend of mine even batters the quarters and makes hot wings, he says it's great, I just haven't tried it yet.
User avatar
szwampdonkey
500 Club
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 am
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:18 am

On occasion i still do like once or twice a season when i need a little breather from bowhunting.

Prob go more if my 8yo wanted to go more but he really hasn’t seemed to take to it much the past couple years when i’ve taken him. Kids don’t seem to get into as much when they’re the only kid in the class that does it it seems. All we talked about when i was a kid was fishing and hunting.
KRONIIK
500 Club
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 am

rfickes87 wrote:
austin1990 wrote:Best time of the year is upon us! Nothing beats ripe hickory trees and a good cool morning for killing some squirrels! I dont get to go as much as I used to, but I still manage to get in a few hunts, mostly while scouting for deer sign. This is one hunt from last weekend, gonna head out shortly and try to get another limit today.20210906_093527.jpg


How do you cook them? Whats some good recipes?

The meat is very lean and can dry out and become a bit chewy.

I like them best quartered, dredged in flour and browned in fairly hot grease (or butter at a somewhat lower temperature), and then covered and slow-simmered or transferred to a crockpot for a long, slow cook.
Even the older ones will tenderize up if cooked slowly and not allowed to dry out.
Serve with hot biscuits and rice, or potatoes and veggies.
Gravy is good, too.

Unlike some wild game, squirrel meat is very mild with little or no "gamey" taste.
My kids ALL enjoy eating it, even though some of them are picky about any gameytaste in wild meat or even domestic pork, etc.
User avatar
john1984
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:08 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:41 am

I love squirrel hunting. Season starts on Saturday. I will be trying out my new PCP .22 air rifle.
User avatar
Sailfish_WC
500 Club
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 am
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 am

Love squirrel
Hunting and eating.

Last time we hunted, we didn’t get enough time to cook the meal
I took what I had that was marinading in Franks red hot that was in a baggie in the fridge for a few days, and threw it in the freezer.
When we were ready to eat, I thawed and cooked them like buffalo wings.

I don’t know if it was the salt in the marinade or the ice crystals in the meat when freezing, but they were amazingly tender. And tasty.
Don't blame me, I voted for the mean tweeter
Moose
500 Club
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:39 pm
Location: IOWA
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby Moose » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:07 am

Looks like you had a good weekend! Squirrel hunting sounds fun, I haven't gone in awhile. I need to put that on my to do list.
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5454
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:47 am

Why certainly!

Image
Image
Image
Eat the donut not the hole!
KRONIIK
500 Club
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:15 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Why certainly!

Image
Image
Image


Didn't go twenty...
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 5454
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:27 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Why certainly!

Image
Image
Image


Didn't go twenty...

Lol might have over did it a bit. But I shot one with a field point last year. Blew through him and he ran up the tree into his honeycomb hideout. Wasn’t risking it! Took a quartering to shot but felt confident in my equipment :lol: No blood trailing required
Eat the donut not the hole!
KRONIIK
500 Club
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 11:09 am
Status: Offline

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Why certainly!

Image
Image
Image


Didn't go twenty...

Lol might have over did it a bit. But I shot one with a field point last year. Blew through him and he ran up the tree into his honeycomb hideout. Wasn’t risking it! Took a quartering to shot but felt confident in my equipment :lol: No blood trailing required


No criticism from me!
I've shot dozens, maybe hundreds of squrirrels with broadheads.
(Always downward shots from elevated positions on grounded or very low ones of course.)
Results are not always pretty but usually VERY effective.

Got a nice black one last year; first black squirrel with a bow for me.


  • Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests