Anyone squirrel hunt?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
Wlog
500 Club

Re: Anyone squirrel hunt?

Unread postby Wlog » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:43 pm

KRONIIK wrote:I do! I do!
I have loved hunting squirrels since I was eight or nine. (Ok so legal hunting age was twelve back then, but the Statute of Limitations has long-since expired;)
I have vowed to do do more of it this year than the last few years.

Love your pic; I have similar pics of past hunts but with less than half that many kills; our Wisconsin daily bag limit is only five.
They seem to be an underhunted species; I kinda wish the DNR would raise the limit for those of us who do participate, but it's not a big deal.
Around here even a limit of five is a good day, or at least a good morning anyway.

I shoot a Remington 541-S that is an absolute squirrel eye-puncher-outer.Your rig seems like it likes to do the same.

(Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is not a crime, it's a sin as far as I'm concerned.)
Just kidding; just not my thing anymore though I had no qualms about blasting them with a .410 when I was a kid.

Regardless of what anybody chooses to shoot them with, you show me a good squirrel hunter and I'll show you a good HUNTER!!

If everyone hunted squirrels with a .22 regularly, I have a feeling there would be a lot less wounded deer. Really makes you a deadly shot.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 am

Wlog wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:I do! I do!
I have loved hunting squirrels since I was eight or nine. (Ok so legal hunting age was twelve back then, but the Statute of Limitations has long-since expired;)
I have vowed to do do more of it this year than the last few years.

Love your pic; I have similar pics of past hunts but with less than half that many kills; our Wisconsin daily bag limit is only five.
They seem to be an underhunted species; I kinda wish the DNR would raise the limit for those of us who do participate, but it's not a big deal.
Around here even a limit of five is a good day, or at least a good morning anyway.

I shoot a Remington 541-S that is an absolute squirrel eye-puncher-outer.Your rig seems like it likes to do the same.

(Shooting squirrels with a shotgun is not a crime, it's a sin as far as I'm concerned.)
Just kidding; just not my thing anymore though I had no qualms about blasting them with a .410 when I was a kid.

Regardless of what anybody chooses to shoot them with, you show me a good squirrel hunter and I'll show you a good HUNTER!!

If everyone hunted squirrels with a .22 regularly, I have a feeling there would be a lot less wounded deer. Really makes you a deadly shot.

I agree.
Of all the hunting scenarios in North America, probably nothing is more a "Rifleman's Game" than squirrel hunting is.
(With the exception of long-range "pest control" shooting, such as that of shooting prarie dogs, crows or woodchucks.)
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 am

john1984 wrote:I love squirrel hunting. Season starts on Saturday. I will be trying out my new PCP .22 air rifle.

So tell us about your new PCP!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:24 am

It's alot better than my 100 dollar spring piston air rifles.

Very quiet , stock and scope screws don't vibrate loose. It's not hold sensitive like a springer is. I can use a rest now or hold the barrel against a tree. I couldn't do that with my cheap springers because it actually decreased accuracy.

I get tighter groups now. In the past I always had to wait until the squirrel was under 20 yards. Now I just gotta get within 40 yards
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:08 am

john1984 wrote:It's alot better than my 100 dollar spring piston air rifles.

Very quiet , stock and scope screws don't vibrate loose. It's not hold sensitive like a springer is. I can use a rest now or hold the barrel against a tree. I couldn't do that with my cheap springers because it actually decreased accuracy.

I get tighter groups now. In the past I always had to wait until the squirrel was under 20 yards. Now I just gotta get within 40 yards

I once owned a Beeman R1 springer and I also hated it for the sproingy noise and not-so-great accuracy.
Nicely built, fine trigger, good fit and finish. Very powerful.
But too bulky, too heavy, too noisy and not super-accurate. So I traded it on a Remington 700 in .223!
Best trade I ever made.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:03 am

I got away from it for awhile. But may be back at it again this fall after one of my off-season projects last year.

Ruger charger takedown, binary trigger, suppressed.

Plan to use it to take a few squirrels out when I'm hunting a public land spot that doesn't turn out very well, and don't plan on returning to again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 pm

Love to squirrel hunt. Nothing but the .22 and head shots. If you use the "silent" ammo it just sounds like a high power air rifle going off and still deadly to 40 yards.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:43 am

Almost got shot by a squirrel hunter yesterday evening!

There is a small cluster of Hickory, maybe 15 trees, that butts right up against a 30 yard wide strip of red brush that turns into a thousand acres of cattails. Spot is full of squirrels. When i target squirrels i set up IN the trees so im firing up into the canopy. For whatever reason this guy was walking out on the cattail side of the red brush. So all he would be able to really see is the line of trees being leaf cover is so heavy now. Anything 10 yards back in the tree line would be obscured from his view for the most part. Well, a squirrel went up a tree right on the edge, got about 10 feet higher than i was up the tree and was about 6-7 yards ahead of me towards the swamp. I had no idea the guy was out walking along the outer edge of the red brush at this time being there were no cars anywhere near the area when i did my first drive by when suddenly BOOM and the leaves around that squirrel blow up, the squirrel drops, and the remaining pellets go ripping through the trees 10 foot above me. That woke me up!

But it got me to thinking about how it happened and really the safety of being in full camo up in a tree when small game hunters could be around. The onus is ALWAYS on the shooter to know your target and beyond but i do y want that on my headstone as this guy obviously didn’t abide by this as he just shot into a sea of green leaves never thinking a guy could be in there in a stand as i was. I talked to him, and i trust it was an honest mistake as he was as shocked to see me coming down the tree as i was having shotgun pellets zipping over my head. I feel like it shook him up knowing he fired basically right at me so i’m thinking he will probably think about this going forward.

Never happened to me in 32 years of bowhunting but definitely made me think about it as it could have been worse. I know i’m always safe but it really really made me think about others out there as their actions are out of my control. Not sure what i could have done differently but might think about it a bit more next time i’m setting up? At least for awhile

Safe hunting to all you Beasts.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:56 am

Might have to consider wearing some blaze orange. Glad your ok
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:01 am

john1984 wrote:Might have to consider wearing some blaze orange. Glad your ok

Yeah, I thought of bringing along a blaze orange hat going forward. 32 seasons of not doing that, definitely an isolated incident but really did get me thinking about it. Especially with the public lands around WI getting more and more crowded every year.

Gotta say though, this is the only fellow squirrel hunter i’ve personally encountered out there in easily a decade. Just too bad he almost shot me!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:15 pm

Something very rare happened to me this evening. I shot my limit of squirrel. 4 grays and one real nice sized boar fox squirrel. My first fox of the year. 3 of the grays were color phased red :shock: They were Not pine squirrels.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:59 am

john1984 wrote:Something very rare happened to me this evening. I shot my limit of squirrel. 4 grays and one real nice sized boar fox squirrel. My first fox of the year. 3 of the grays were color phased red :shock: They were Not pine squirrels.

Well done John! Bout time you killed something other than a 18 pack! :lol: Just playing bud. Good job! Show a pic of the finished product when u cook em up.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:47 pm

Funny this post popped up. I just took multiple 5 soon to be 6yo out for squirrels Monday. He carried his BB gun amd I carried my dads old .22 I used as a kid. We had a blast. Didn’t kill any but he had fun plinking stumps. I missed one at 50yds. He had a blast and want to keep him interested any way I can!
Canuck buck

Unread postby Canuck buck » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:11 am

I love too. Not many up here like too, so it’s pretty nice having my squirrel spots to myself. I use a .410 or my savage mark ii .22lr. Must not be as many here, because I’m lucky to get a limit of 5 most days. Our grey squirrels are mostly black, and I see some fox squirrel colours sometimes. I believe they could possibly crossbreed(has anyone else noticed anything like this?).
Not many people will talk to you if you tell them you eat the things, but I don’t give a darn. I invite all critics over for a squirrel burger, or squirrel wings. Everyone smart enough to accept my offer after the first taste”wow, it is good”. Happy hunting
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:11 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
john1984 wrote:Something very rare happened to me this evening. I shot my limit of squirrel. 4 grays and one real nice sized boar fox squirrel. My first fox of the year. 3 of the grays were color phased red :shock: They were Not pine squirrels.

Well done John! Bout time you killed something other than a 18 pack! :lol: Just playing bud. Good job! Show a pic of the finished product when u cook em up.

IMG_20211118_180003657.jpg

Squirrel stew tonight. I'm currently working on the 18 pack

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”