Opening weekend of squirrel season (Grandpa's Gun)

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Opening weekend of squirrel season (Grandpa's Gun)

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue May 30, 2023 8:34 am

I remember grandpa's Auto 5 sitting in the closet. It was rusty with broken parts. He never got it fixed but constantly talked about how good it shot. I always wanted an Auto 5 because of that gun.

When grandpa died my dad got the Auto 5. He had it rebuilt and restored. New blueing, new wood. It looked like a new gun. It sat in his safe and was rarely fired for 20 years.

Last fall dad gave me the Auto 5. A beautiful gun with a fixed full barrel and a modified barrel. I researched it and couldn't"t wait to hunt with it.

I found a newer barrel with choke tubes online. This would make the gun more versatile. The new barrel could be used with steel shot as well if needed. This would be my new all around gun. Couldn't wait to use it.

Memorial day is the 3rd day of squirrel season here. This would be a great time.e to use grandpa's Auto 5.

The night before I dug out a box of 12 ga. high brass 4"s. I screwed in a full choke tube and put the gun in its case. I couldn't wait for the next morning.

Morning came. The sun rose above the horizon. Turkeys gobbled. I walked down a logging road in search of squirrels.

As stopped to listen a gray squirrel stooped on a limb. I shouldered the gun, settled the bead on the squirrel and fired. The 12 ga barked and the squirrel fell to the forest floor. I had my first squirrel of the morning. This was shaping up to be a good day.

I continued to walk down the logging road. A hen turkey ran off putting. She kept a tight circle. It was cool seeing her.

I walked a bit further and spot a few squirrels in the distance. I snuck with in range and shot another young gray. Squirrels ran everywhere. I sat for a bit to let the woods settle down. I got up to collect my squirrel and a big fox squirrel San up a tree. I fired once and he struggled. Second shot and he dropped with a thud. I now had 3 squirrels. Great morning.

I walked back toward the truck. A made it about halfway back and a squirrel ran in front of me. It ran up a tree stopping on a limb facing me. The Auto 5 barked and he fell to the ground. Another young one.

As I walked back I missed one more squirrel but it was ok. I had 4 which was enough for my family.

I sat by my truck skinning the squirrels. I reflected on the day. I had given Grandpa's gun a workout. It was almost like he was with me. This was a great morning with a great old gun and great memories. Can't wait to do it again. The old gun has allot of life left in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Opening weekend of squirrel season (Grandpa's Gun)

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed May 31, 2023 1:19 am

Isn't it neat how a favorite old firearm with some personal history and sentimental value can re-connect you on a hunt with old memories of lost loved ones?
The smell of burnt gunpowder and Hoppes #9 bring it all back in a rush.

Did some of that yesterday myself; I took my sons out to shoot my deceased Father's old 8mm Mauser rifle, and some other favorite firearms, at dirt clods in a back-stopped, plowed hillside way out in the country.

Gorgeous Memorial Day, we all had a blast, and it forged a connection between them and the Grandfather they never got to meet or know.

I might have actually teared up a little bit a couple times...( I miss you, Dad! ):cry:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed May 31, 2023 1:24 am

8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 31, 2023 4:40 am

That’s awesome. I have my grandpa’s old .410 that he killed 100’s a squirrels with over the years. I really need to get out and make that gun proud. Once I retire I’ll have plenty of spare time to start some new memories with that gun. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”