Just 8 days left.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Just 8 days left.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 pm

The local squirrel population have 8 more days to run around in the woods foot loose and fancy free. On the 15th bright and early I will be in a deer blind with my Rugar 22 hornet and picking squirrels off near and far.

Yes set in a deer blind is not a typo. Those squirrels left when deer season opens don't have a clue I am there, and sure don't before deer season.

Yes I do have a couple of 22LR rifles but quit trying to find ammo a few years back and started down loading the hornet to 22LR speed.

I like my squirrels bacon wraped and baked.

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
beer
garlic powder
pepper
salt
minced onion
hickory smoked bacon

Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

If you rather not waste the beer omit that part.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
NH Teufelhund

Re: Just 8 days left.

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Sounds delicious. Godspeed to any squirell who dare enter your WMA
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:42 pm

They taste great no matter how they are fixed. Early in the season I find I have gottem mostly the young more tender ones. Later in the season more are older smarter and tougher so they get par boiled in a pressure cooker first. Or slow cooked in a sauce.

Hideing in the snow doesn't help either.

The red phase tend to run bigger. The black ones are the lesser numbers and the grays seem to be the larger number.

Years when they(farmers) plant corn beside my woods and behind is when the numbers are highest. Some years if the fields are into soy beans and the mast crop is down the squirrels nearly disappear.

Go a half mile down the road to a wood lot next to a corn field and the woods will be full of squirrels.

strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:22 am

Great photos :L: :L: !!
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:49 am

Nice,I will have to give that a try!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:00 am

That sounds good! I might do a squirrel hunt before oct 1. I use to do them every year with a bow. Stalking them. Good warm up for deer season
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:04 am

Hunting them from a tree stand with blunts, Judo points is a good way to collect a few and sharpen the shooting skills and scouting skills at the same time.

Search for a area in hard woods, along a corn field hang a tree stand and wait about an hour for the woods to settle down and the squirrels start their searching.

I have a story about collecting a squirrel with a bow. But I was deer hunting. Only one person left who was along on that deer hunt that remembers the story other than my self.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:40 am

50% of my hunting is Squirrel hunting. I use a .177 caliber spring piston air rifle. Being forced to use the "Artillery Hold" has forced me to limit my shots to 20 yards. If I used a shotgun it would be a different story.

These City squirrels that surround me are Not like the public land squirrels I hunt.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 pm

john1984 wrote:50% of my hunting is Squirrel hunting. I use a .177 caliber spring piston air rifle. Being forced to use the "Artillery Hold" has forced me to limit my shots to 20 yards. If I used a shotgun it would be a different story.

These City squirrels that surround me are Not like the public land squirrels I hunt.

My brother and cousin will not allow me to use a shotgun or .22lr rifle. I have to use my Ruger Targis .22 air rifle. Beer can accurate at 100 yards off a rest with no wind. The squirrels have no chance!!! Bring it with me to the farm in KY every year and load up on the fuzzy tailed tree rats.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 pm

4 more days only left for thre squirrels.

"Slow Cooker Squirrel and Veggies
Ready in: 8 hours 25 minutes

1 onion, cut into chunks
2 cups baby carrots
4 large potatoes, cut into small chunks
1 large green bell pepper, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic
4 cubes chicken bouillon
salt and pepper to taste
3 squirrels – skinned, gutted, and cut into pieces
water to cover
2 tablespoons flour
Place the onion, carrots, potatoes, bell pepper, garlic, chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper in a slow cooker.
Lay the squirrel meat on top of the vegetable mixture. Pour enough water over the mixture to cover completely.
Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours.
Stir the flour into the mixture and cook another 2 hours."

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”