My hunting partner & mentor

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

My hunting partner & mentor

Unread postby alleyyooper » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:52 pm

His name was Rick about 5 years older than my self, married and 2 young sons, skilled trades machine setter was how he earned his living.

He like me had grew up on a small farm mid Michigan near the town of Clare.
Unlike me he had family on his mothers side who were hunters and fisher persons. They were always getting him to spend a week end hunting with them.

Unlike me he left school after graduating, went south to find work ending up at a GM Lansing plant.
He lived in a subdivision when we met but was working on moving to a country home. Our first hunt was a small game hunt on a coworkers farm for rabbits.
Later when Pheasant season opened we hunted those there too.

The coworkers name was Tom and fell right in the same age bracket. Tom had 2 red Irish setters beautiful dogs and very good with pheasants pointing and retrieving. We hunted Toms farm on a Saturday and got several rabbits hunting them with out dogs but on a property done up right. They burned fire wood so piled brush to make habit for the rabbits
Walk up to a brush pile and one person climb on and start jumping. Rabbits many times would run out of the piles for us to get a shot. We took turns doing the jumping.

Next day we went to some public land and I was taught how to hunt southern Mi squirrels. We didn’t have many around the farm growing uo except the pesky red squirrels.

Rick taught me to rub the edge of two quarters together as a squirrel call, also the edge of a shot shell hull worked too. Rick taught me you could walk thru. Wood patch slowly and not see a squirrel but the same wood patch a hour later walk in and set down for a bit and have them running all thru the trees you were setting beside.

Was a fun week end for me and very enjoyable. I invited him up to my folks farm for the following week end to hunt partridge we always called PATS.

Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
backstraps

Re: My hunting partner & mentor

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:07 am

Thats neat Al. I have never used the 2 quarters trick. I will have to give that a try!

I remember as a kid, the brush piles from cutting firewood held rabbits like crazy. I was the one that had to always climb and jump the piles to flush though :lol:
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:39 am

Surely you got a turn to be a shooter? Boy if we didn't share the jumping on the piles and shooting I would have just quit. Can't kick this dog much with out a revolt LOL.

Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:50 am

It was kinda funny because I wasnt much of a shot as a kid. My older brother didnt have to try much, like he was a gifted shot hahaha so he handed me the .22 and said he’d flush me one out.

He was about to climb on a brush pile making his way to the backside of the pile. A rabbit flushed and I got lucky with a fast head shot. I never let on like it was luck...but dang, it was ALL luck!

After granny made us rabbit stew, ( from my one and his 3) we were eating and my brother finally heard enough about my .22 headshot and said “now crap Tony that’s about enough, we both know you couldn’t normally get one with the 20ga“ ..hahaha we laughed for 5 mins over that because it was true

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”