Everglades snake hunt?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KRONIIK
500 Club

Everglades snake hunt?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm

So I know a couple local guys who are going down to Florida for a few weeks this spring to hunt pythons for bounty money.

Anybody here ever done anything like that?

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Re: Everglades snake hunt?

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:57 pm

I have not but keep us posted on how they do.

I have watched many YouTubes on this and it can be intense plus doing it in darkness.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:32 pm

Supposedly there’s a lot of them down there. Watched a documentary years ago about all the critters that escaped during hurricane Andrew. Pretty crazy.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:00 pm

I know people who regularly mow them when they cut grass. I don’t think that counts though
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:46 am

Buckshot20 wrote:I know people who regularly mow them when they cut grass. I don’t think that counts though

They told me that it used to be that you had to bring them in alive if you wanted to collect the bounty money, but that has since changed and you can bring in dead ones now.

I'm not sure they really know all the ins and outs of what they're getting into, though.
I don't know how the bounty is paid, (based on length?) etc., or if there is a market for skins and meat?

It'll sure be interesting to see what they learn. (If they actually survive!)
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:23 am

If they are looking for a unique experience, they will be happy. If they are looking to make easy money, may god have mercy on their soul.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:16 am

PK_ wrote:If they are looking for a unique experience, they will be happy. If they are looking to make easy money, may god have mercy on their soul.

This is what I was thinking. These snakes love alligator habitat. Mangroves. I saw a video of a hunt... this is beast-style hunting. It ain’t pretty.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:04 am

PK_ wrote:If they are looking for a unique experience, they will be happy. If they are looking to make easy money, may god have mercy on their soul.

LOL.
Thats exactly what I thought, too.
It sounds absolutely miserable to me.

They are hoping to get an adventure out of it, and ideally break even for travel expenses.
Even that sounds pretty optimistic to me.

Serious question: should they be concerned about contracting malaria?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 pm

I’ve watched the TV show go after them and always scratched my head why they catch em the way they do. Suppose for Hollywood effect. But in a game of money they waste a lot of time.

As a kid/young adult I use to partake in a rattlesnake round up competition held annually in Sweetwater, Tx. Made homemade “catchers” out of pvc pipe, cat 5 cable, and a broomstick handle. Run a loop through the pvc, tie it to the handle and presto. Get that loop over the snake rare back on the handle, throw that sucker in a onion sack and press on.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:30 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I’ve watched the TV show go after them and always scratched my head why they catch em the way they do. Suppose for Hollywood effect. But in a game of money they waste a lot of time.

As a kid/young adult I use to partake in a rattlesnake round up competition held annually in Sweetwater, Tx. Made homemade “catchers” out of pvc pipe, cat 5 cable, and a broomstick handle. Run a loop through the pvc, tie it to the handle and presto. Get that loop over the snake rare back on the handle, throw that sucker in a onion sack and press on.

That's a good idea.
At least it would keep the fangly head away from you.

With your snake handling experience; what's would be the biggest python you'd be willing to tackle by yourself?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:36 am

KRONIIK wrote:

LOL.

They are hoping to get an adventure out of it, and ideally break even for travel expenses.

I mean I have spent lots of time out there and it never has crossed my mind. But there have been a couple times where I forgot the thermacell(or dropped it in the water) and ended up so mosquito bit that I got physically sick but it never lasted more than a day.

Are they going to be out at night or during the day?(I don’t know an awful lot about the details of hunting them, but I know I see that some hunt at night and some during daylight). Thermacells, back up thermacells and bug tamer suits would be musts if they want to cut down on how much they get bit. And not being out at night, dawn/dusk...

I may need to start an outfitting business for snakes/iguanas with how much I have heard of people coming down to do this stuff :lol: :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:56 am

PK_ wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:I may need to start an outfitting business for snakes/iguanas with how much I have heard of people coming down to do this stuff :lol: :lol:

Don’t forget tugu lizards and of course Polk City chupacabras!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:02 am

PK_ wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

LOL.

I mean I have spent lots of time out there and it never has crossed my mind. But there have been a couple times where I forgot the thermacell(or dropped it in the water) and ended up so mosquito bit that I got physically sick but it never lasted more than a day.

Are they going to be out at night or during the day?(I don’t know an awful lot about the details of hunting them, but I know I see that some hunt at night and some during daylight). Thermacells, back up thermacells and bug tamer suits would be musts if they want to cut down on how much they get bit. And not being out at night, dawn/dusk...

I may need to start an outfitting business for snakes/iguanas with how much I have heard of people coming down to do this stuff :lol: :lol:

I don't know whether they plan on doing mostly daytime or nighttime hunting, or some of both.
I think it's going to be mostly a learn-as-they-go type of thing.
I understand that the State pays minimum wage in addition to the bounty/bonus, up to ten hours a day of hunting in the Everglades.
They monitor that by a GPS tracker that you must agree to wear when you sign up, so they can verify that you're actually out there hunting for them and not sleeping in your motel all day.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:06 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:
PK_ wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:I may need to start an outfitting business for snakes/iguanas with how much I have heard of people coming down to do this stuff :lol: :lol:

Don’t forget tugu lizards and of course Polk City chupacabras!

I think you quoted the wrong guy.
I sure don't want to start a snake/iguana outfitting business; I hate snakes and wouldn't know an iguana from bat guano!

:shifty:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:50 am

KRONIIK wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I’ve watched the TV show go after them and always scratched my head why they catch em the way they do. Suppose for Hollywood effect. But in a game of money they waste a lot of time.

That's a good idea.
At least it would keep the fangly head away from you.

With your snake handling experience; what's would be the biggest python you'd be willing to tackle by yourself?

My snake handling experience is that of a meathead. I dang near lost my foot from a bacteria infection I got from getting bit by a non venomous snake.

Personally if I was hunting pythons I would first line up some alternative buyers who specialize in bow backing, hatbands, belts, boots, etc.... Then I would handle my business with a 12 gauge shotgun.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”