Close call today.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Close call today.

Unread postby muddy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:5th strike of my life I must have really bad luck.

How about the glass half full... you've been struck 5x and are still above ground with all your appendages? I'd call that better than average luck.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:10 pm

muddy wrote:

How about the glass half full... you've been struck 5x and are still above ground with all your appendages? I'd call that better than average luck.

I agree totally!
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:14 pm

:shock:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Scary stuff to think about. I am from WI and will be doing a southern KY hunt. Little worried about the cottonmouths as well. Seems unlikely but I know that it can happen. I think it might be best for me to know exactly where the closest hospital is just in case
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:26 pm

muddy wrote:

Looks like 4 strikes i never felt a strike. Though I can't explain the 2 holes in my boots either.

3 I had snake boots on.
One I was walking barefoot in front yard to get the mail had a baby copperhead attached to the top of my foot. Copperhead venom was extremely painful best way to describe it is being on fire internally it didn't swell up that much just minor swelling and turned red like a burn around bite . Was sick for three days just layed on the couch watching TV and slept alot. Took about two weeks to fully recover energy. Never thought I'd get bit in my own front yard.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:30 pm

UncleBuck3268 wrote:Scary stuff to think about. I am from WI and will be doing a southern KY hunt. Little worried about the cottonmouths as well. Seems unlikely but I know that it can happen. I think it might be best for me to know exactly where the closest hospital is just in case

Careful western Kentucky is full of Timber rattlesnakes.
While they aren't aggressive for the most part they are active in pines , ontop of hills , rock piles, piles of brush, swamps, high grasses ,and are very active in daylight hours on south facing slopes. They have killed more people in America then any other snake. They don't strike very often thank goodness but have a nasty bite.

Cottonmouths as long as your avoiding water shouldn't be too bad.They like copperheads have a nasty temper and like to strike.

If your hunting Lbl ,Peabody,western KY wma, Ballard or others they have alot of Rattlesnakes.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:22 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:Scary stuff to think about. I am from WI and will be doing a southern KY hunt. Little worried about the cottonmouths as well. Seems unlikely but I know that it can happen. I think it might be best for me to know exactly where the closest hospital is just in case

Careful western Kentucky is full of Timber rattlesnakes.
While they aren't aggressive for the most part they are active in pines , ontop of hills , rock piles, piles of brush, swamps, high grasses ,and are very active in daylight hours on south facing slopes. They have killed more people in America then any other snake. They don't strike very often thank goodness but have a nasty bite.

Cottonmouths as long as your avoiding water shouldn't be too bad.They like copperheads have a nasty temper and like to strike.

If your hunting Lbl ,Peabody,western KY wma, Ballard or others they have alot of Rattlesnakes.

Will be somewhat near Glasgow. Really good to know. Appreciate your input.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 am

Def a close call
I get lax with wearing my gaiters.
Thanks for the reminder.

I’ve had one close call, I need to remember that.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”