Coyotes: to kill or not to kill?

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trail

Re: Coyotes: to kill or not to kill?

Unread postby Trail » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:51 pm

I don't like killing anything that I'm not going to eat but I've experienced coyotes getting far too comfortable around houses and dwellings. All it takes is a rough winter and they start getting desperate.

Neighbor of mine had to shoot at a local pack multiple times before they left one night. They were trying to get after his three 90+ pound Labradors but luckily they were fenced in. Can't imagine living anyplace with wolves.

They're pretty bad around here. Not uncommon to go for a walk down the trail behind my house and see one slipping through the woods. We have pretty good deer numbers but I imagine our deer population would increase with a few coyotes gone.

blackwidow
500 Club

Re: Coyotes: to kill or not to kill?

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:18 am

You take the whole pack out with trapping and I guarantee it will make a difference. I trapped out a couple mile square area around my house some years back. It went from packs howling every night to quiet as could be. Took about 3-4 years before the population came back again. Shooting 1 or 2 isn’t going to eliminate the problem, but you can make a heck of a dent and make a difference when you trap them hard. For the record, I do shoot them every chance I get too. They play heck on peoples pets and livestock.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”