How many Pheasant hunters?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: How many Pheasant hunters?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:23 pm

BRoth82 wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I think i rather have a shed dog then a bird dog. We only have dumb stock birds here anymore im sure it would be different if i lived in South Dakota.

Unfortunately there are thousands of stocked birds in South Dakota that's why they have the bird numbers that they do. I raise roosters to release and I can't tell the difference between a released bird and a wild bird.

What do you mean? I dont even pheasant hunt but i think its a fair assumption the roosters i see hanging out in the parking lot picking at gravel at high noon or walking right down the middle of the path 20 yards in front of me when im on my way out to bowhunt are likely released birds. Am I wrong?

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:46 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I think i rather have a shed dog then a bird dog. We only have dumb stock birds here anymore im sure it would be different if i lived in South Dakota.

Unfortunately there are thousands of stocked birds in South Dakota that's why they have the bird numbers that they do. I raise roosters to release and I can't tell the difference between a released bird and a wild bird.

What do you mean? I dont even pheasant hunt but i think its a fair assumption the roosters i see hanging out in the parking lot picking at gravel at high noon or walking right down the middle of the path 20 yards in front of me when im on my way out to bowhunt are likely released birds. Am I wrong?

You are correct. Wild roosters can take off like a rocket. Late season wild roosters will flush before you get within 100 yards alot of times.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:57 pm

I hunt pheasants quite a bit. Finally trying south Dakota with my dad this October. Watching my dog work so instinctively is the best. Just wish we had a thriving wild population here in wisco.
Snapchat-298159938.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:55 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:

I've seen this with wild birds and pen raised birds. But when you get out in the field hunting and they flush alot of guys say pen raised ones don't fly as far. But let me tell you if that was the case I'd be able to keep them in the field I release them in, but I've seen pen raised ones fly 1/2 mile before loosing sight of them.

Also in South Dakota they're releasing 100's if thousands if pen raised birds each year. And this is for both private and public lands.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:25 pm

I've gone a few times and loved it but I'm living in a new state without a dog currently so wont be heading out anytime soon.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:32 pm

BRoth82 wrote:

Unfortunately we dont have wild birds here anymore.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:00 am

My understanding is that the only pheasants getting stocked in south Dakota are on preserves. I've found no evidence saying otherwise :think:
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:10 pm

I haven't pheasant hunted in dang near two decades. But hunting with well trained dogs is amazing to watch plus more fun. It seems like everyone starts out hunting rabbits, squirrels and pheasants. I used an old single shot 410 that had to be at least form the early 1900s. What good times! Anyhow, if I was gonna get serious into bird hunting I would definitely have a dog or 2. Brittany's and short hairs are what I've been around only a few times. Both are great dogs if trained properly.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:

Pheasant need/want the gravel to digest food in their stomach. So even the big wild roosters will do that.

I think it doesn’t matter if it was initially pen raised or raised in the wild. It’s experience. The big older roosters have figured out what to do to stay alive.

Bought a new pheasant/duck gun yesterday. Finally broke down and bought a Bennelli. Can’t wait.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:05 am

I went for the first time last week, right place right time and got invited.

Man that's a blast and they are tasty too.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:54 pm

My dad and I used to go to north Dakota every year and would chase pheasants and ducks. Was some of the best hunting times I've had. Havent went since 2015 or so. Dads back isnt up for it anymore and my dog got cancer a few years ago. I used to loved working wild birds out there with my yellow lab. Hunted some back home on the public land pen raised bird but that never had the same feel to it and I just couldnt get into it. Got a 7 month old yellow lab now and I'm sure I'll shoot a few birds over him. Should probably look into shed dog training I suppose. Tried that with my last one and it never really took. Or I didnt get him on enough sheds either way I'm sure it was my fault.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”