2018 Dove Season

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

2018 Dove Season

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:39 pm

I'm in Louisiana. Our dove season starts on the 1st of September. The hay fields are being cut and there are tons of doves. Anyone else seeing good flocks?

"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Grant

Re: 2018 Dove Season

Unread postby Grant » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:50 am

I've got a half acre field in sunflowers and proso millet. It's all ripe and there are a decent number around. Planning to cut it next weekend and hope they're still around for the opener on the 1st. If the corn isn't being cut, sunflowers are a powerful draw. Cut corn seems to scatter the birds and a big field coming out early can ruin a season, which to me is normally the first 3 days.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Good luck. I hope they stay around.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 am

Im hunting but not on my land. I dont have any. But my buddies have seen some good numbers, good numbers for us are 3 or 4 or 5 hundred i have seen alot more in bigger set ups but we try to keep it small for 3 or 4 people.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:48 am

I used to hunt them birds when I had my dog. Population seems like it has been getting a lot better in WI since the season was created in 03.

Great game bird. There are several different settings in which you can hunt them,,, as well as techniques. A TRUE game bird for sure. The most I ever killed in one single evening were 5 .
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:45 pm

I've been watching in the evenings in the Milo fields close to home. Right now they are plentiful and coming in by the hundreds. But there no dummy seems after the opening weekend barrage of gun fire you start seeing a lot more city dwellers.

I hunted them for years on opening weekend, last few years I just gave it up. Never really cared for the meat anyway. Preferred the bacon and pepper over the dove. Good luck to all hitting the fields in pursuit of em!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”