First time bird hunting

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hammer6306

First time bird hunting

Unread postby Hammer6306 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Good evening Gentlemen, I had the pleasure of going on my first Sandhill Crane hunt yesterday and it was awesome. I was able to score 2 birds. My questions is this is it worth it to try and Sandhill Crane hunt on public land or should this be done with an outfitter? I was with an outfitter in Lubbock on Saturday and had a good time, but I want to do this more than I can afford to do through an outfitter. So I was wondering if Sandhill Crane hunting is s viable option on public land thanks for your input gents!

john1984

Re: First time bird hunting

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

I would like to try me some ribeye of the sky
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Good God. I hope they open a season on those things in WI. They’re all over the place.
SwampReaper
Facebook: Don’t have one

Unread postby SwampReaper » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:35 pm

I wish I was able to shed some more light on Crane hunting. Here in Michigan the only time I get to pull the trigger on a Crane is when a land owner hands me a golden ticket(crop damage permit). Which we have to shoot on sight, not allowed to stage a hunt and a bunch of other stipulations.

I have an extensive background with waterfowl hunting. We shoot around 300 geese in the month of September. I used to run a guide service.

Just like any other form of hunting the more time you spend scouting the better your success rate. Miles=Piles

The best bet to ensure better success and solitude would be to ask for permission. Farmers hate cranes, dry fields would yield more birds over hunting water in most cases.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:15 pm

I waterfowl hunt in a public marsh. I would have plenty of opportunity to kill some if they were legal to hunt. Hoping they open a season on them soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”