Think I just saw a Nashville warbler

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Think I just saw a Nashville warbler

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat May 09, 2020 12:38 pm

Is that even possible? Book said its common. About an hour north of Detroit, maybe slightly more. This is an excellent time of year for bird watching in this area. Things are starting to warm up, birds are moving north, and you can still see in the trees and woods pretty good because leaves are just starting to pop.

I have a couple of bird books and really watch for them this time of year as they are moving north and you can see. I don't know what else it could be. I have two bird books, one is just warblers. We get a lot of yellows, I have also seen yellow rumped warblers, and a few others. But I saw this one a couple times now and think its a Nashville.

Wish I could have gotten a pic, like I did of the first oriole I saw last Saturday.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Think I just saw a Nashville warbler

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Yeah, I didn't think Backstraps made it that far north this time of year...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm

I saw a double breasted bed thrasher the other night...
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:19 pm

muddy wrote:I saw a double breasted bed thrasher the other night...

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I thought for sure Lou was referring to a new country act!! :mrgreen:

Seriously, Lou. I hope it is. Wish I knew more about song birds!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun May 10, 2020 7:36 am

Muddy must have done a little celebrating after all that turkey success. I'm convinced, nothing else it could be but a Nashville Warbler, didn't know they were around, but the book says common. White eye ring seals it.

my neighbor just called me and said he saw an osprey nest in the cell tower behind the fire station down the road. I'll have to check that out soon.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:25 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Muddy must have done a little celebrating after all that turkey success. I'm convinced, nothing else it could be but a Nashville Warbler, didn't know they were around, but the book says common. White eye ring seals it.

my neighbor just called me and said he saw an osprey nest in the cell tower behind the fire station down the road. I'll have to check that out soon.

Had alot of fishawks out in MT!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed May 13, 2020 1:14 pm

My college advisor was an ornithologist by profession in the biology department. Probably my favorite class during that time. He did his doctrine over prothonotary warblers and not once during my time there did we find one. Couple weeks ago I was kayaking in a timbered slough scouting and low and behold I find the mother load of them. I played an audio clip of a calling male over my phone and this guy came to check out who the intruder was. Bird watching is not a bad hobby in all reality.
7D03BA4A-C7AF-4FD8-94A0-13CFCEA5487B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed May 13, 2020 5:53 pm

I never knew birds hibernate...but my double breasted bed thrasher ONLY sleeps in bed. I think she’s broken, maybe injured but definitely not in heat. That was hilarious Mud.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 14, 2020 3:18 am

My wife and I have lots of new birds to watch for in our country house. Just yesterday she was mentioning finding 3 in one spot for a picture.
Indigo bunting, cardinal and goldfinch for the 3 primary colors. But I don't worry about that as much as the elusive bed thrasher.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Wannabelikedan wrote:My college advisor was an ornithologist by profession in the biology department. Probably my favorite class during that time. He did his doctrine over prothonotary warblers and not once during my time there did we find one. Couple weeks ago I was kayaking in a timbered slough scouting and low and behold I find the mother load of them. I played an audio clip of a calling male over my phone and this guy came to check out who the intruder was. Bird watching is not a bad hobby in all reality.7D03BA4A-C7AF-4FD8-94A0-13CFCEA5487B.jpeg

Awesome. I went for a walk the other morning and saw an osprey, a rose breasted grosbeak (easy Muddy), and a pileated woodpecker. I tried to get a pic of the grosbeak and wood pecker but failed.

Then later that day went to another fishing hole and saw some swallows (them things were dive bombing me), some yellow warblers, and another little yellow thing I couldn't identify. It had black on its head and mostly yellow, think one of the many warblers.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 14, 2020 12:28 pm

I went out on a scenic drive just now. Wife spotted turkey and then an adult eagle was fishing above a spring. Trying for trout.
I took her down the road and had her looking at the eagle nest. Here in MO the foliage is getting pretty thick. Hard to see much even with binoculars.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu May 14, 2020 12:44 pm

I've been seeing some cool stuff up my way recently. Here's a few pics I got of a Scarlet tanager and an American redstart.
KIMG2494.JPG
KIMG2496.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 14, 2020 1:48 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:I've been seeing some cool stuff up my way recently. Here's a few pics I got of a Scarlet tanager and an American redstart.KIMG2494.JPGKIMG2496.JPG
nic

nice pics. I got a pic of a scarlet tanager last year while turkey hunting. crappy cell phone pic like usual. But there is no mistaking when you see one of those, they are no cardinal.

I saw a cedar waxwing coming out of that area this year. They are cool birds too
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 am

I enjoy the birds - don't know what half of em are - we get these little yellow dudes with masks that eat bugs from under the leaves in our duck blinds - 2 inch bird, little dudes.

Had a Painted bunting & 3 girlfriends hanging at the bird feeder this winter. Very neat. Red cardinal under feeder near red plant frame for size comparison. Both like black sunflower seeds. Bunting is gone now. Cardinal is working on feeding his babies.
1221191155a.jpg

We also have a catbird that comes in to eat the everbearing mulberry fruits (tree in background) - looks like a flat grey mockingbird with a black skull cap on. Secretive things supposed to sound like cats but I can't hear em.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:23 am

Lou, sounds like a good time. Nashville’s can be pretty common when they love through. Would not be odd to have seen one. Love warbler season! American Redstarts are my favorites.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”