Turkey recipes?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Turkey recipes?

Unread postby JAK » Mon May 11, 2020 8:00 am

Lets hear some of your guys wild turkey recipes. I tried some grilled years ago and way to dry.

muddy

Re: Turkey recipes?

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 11, 2020 8:19 am

Hank Shaws wild turkey leg carnitas recipe is by far my favorite. 225° for 4-6 hours and the legs just fall apart
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:29 am

I just did a thigh and leg in the pressure cooker. Broth, spices an onion...90 minutes and it’s ready for a sandwich. Simple, delicious and a good way to use a tough part of the bird.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 am

Turkey tenders or slower cooker turkey and gravy sammiches
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Tue May 12, 2020 4:12 am

O boy, there are just as many for turkey as there are for deer!
I love doing pulled pork style Turkey in the smoker, or doing breakfast sausage ground with bacon, brats are also great nearly the same recipe as bfast sausage just a little more bacon and different spices! I'm partial to thighs over breast meat so you really cant go wrong with a Swanson! Smoked turkey legs wrapped in bacon! I've tried to pluck the while bird before but it is such a PITA to get done, I'm not patient enough for that....
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 12, 2020 4:26 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:O boy, there are just as many for turkey as there are for deer!
I love doing pulled pork style Turkey in the smoker, or doing breakfast sausage ground with bacon, brats are also great nearly the same recipe as bfast sausage just a little more bacon and different spices! I'm partial to thighs over breast meat so you really cant go wrong with a Swanson! Smoked turkey legs wrapped in bacon! I've tried to pluck the while bird before but it is such a PITA to get done, I'm not patient enough for that....

Well all that sounds amazing.

How do you prepare the turkey for the pulled-pork style? Rub? Temp? Duration? Anything else to it?

Would love to hear more details about the other ones too. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:35 am

Grilled shouldn’t be dry unless it’s overcooked. That’s one of the best ways to do a breast. Brine for at least a day, dry rub, and cook until 165. I usually cut the thinner tip of the breast off and cook separate because it gets done quicker.

My favorite and the easiest is turkey legs in the crockpot. http://www.outdoorsnow.com/viewarticle. ... icle100094
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Tue May 12, 2020 5:30 am

greenhorndave wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:O boy, there are just as many for turkey as there are for deer!

Well all that sounds amazing.

How do you prepare the turkey for the pulled-pork style? Rub? Temp? Duration? Anything else to it?

Would love to hear more details about the other ones too. :D

For the pulled pork style I start out with a breast and a thigh/leg (bone in), put that in a 8x8" bread pan, season with seasonally, poultry seasoning, cayenne powder, and a dash of old bay, then 2 cups of apple cider into the pan with the meat. Covered and put into my smoker on 350 for hour and 20 mins, then uncovered and added heavy smoke for about 25 minutes and same temp. I then drained half the liquid and pulled the meat apart with 2 forks and placed back in the smoke, (no smoke this time) for another 40 mins. It turned out great! Obviously, times will vary with different amounts of meat, but it's not hard to play with! They make outstanding sliders.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 12, 2020 5:52 am

Awesome, thanks.

I’m going to try that and the leg carnitas that Muddy referred to earlier. The termination of Bird #1 starting Wednesday...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”