Any Dove Hunters?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Any Dove Hunters?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:14 am

Dove hunting is big business in my area. I look forward to it but prob for different reasons. Yes the Milo fields are being cut for easy bird finding as I type this. But 4 me it means many of the better bucks are now homeless! Been rough this summer locating the better stuff, but that’s all about to change. I’ve never really got into dove hunting. My father likes it and goes opening day.If I’m off work I typically go and sit right beside him on a cooler of beer. Drives him nuts and always yells at me for not even bringing a Shotgun. I just enjoy the time with him and personally don’t care about a dove. Guess I’m his retriever :lol:

What is funny is I raise a big pen of quail for consumption. Both bobwhites and chukar. I rip the heads off a few dozen for the festive dove opener/cookout. It’s awfully surprising what birds are the first to be eaten lol.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bigburner

Re: Any Dove Hunters?

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:34 am

Had the setup this year. Uncle planted about 10 acres of sunflowers. surrounded by a hedge, a pond, gravel, and powerlines. He mowed a strip last week. Have been chopping at the bit thinking about it. Fire crew just got dispatched. So there goes that family fun. Its super fun when you get into them. sucks when your just sitting there sweating your but off. Plus its always a confidence booster when you burn through 2 boxes of shells and have three birds to show for it :lol:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Silent J

Unread postby Silent J » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:58 am

I've never been a huge dove hunter, went out a few times with some family friends as a kid and with some buddies in high school. That being said, this year I plan to hit it hard for the first couple of weeks until deer season opens up some. Think it's just a result of being locked up more than usual this year with quarantine orders, and I caught COVID in July and all I could do was sit at home isolated and look at maps, do virtual scouting, drive around and scout from the truck, etc. I think being locked up for two weeks is going to result in me pursuing all kinds of game this year, more so than usual, just because hunting and getting outdoors was about all I could think about. I usually have season tickets to K-State Football, but that's nixed this year as well. So I am gonna have a lot of time on my hands to try new things.

My in-laws farm and had about 200 acres of wheat that got 100% hailed out the day before we went to cut it. So there is a bunch of grain on the ground and I'm hopeful we see some good dove population there.
The goal is in stone. The plan is in sand.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:12 am

Bigburner wrote:Had the setup this year. Uncle planted about 10 acres of sunflowers. surrounded by a hedge, a pond, gravel, and powerlines. He mowed a strip last week. Have been chopping at the bit thinking about it. Fire crew just got dispatched. So there goes that family fun. Its super fun when you get into them. sucks when your just sitting there sweating your but off. Plus its always a confidence booster when you burn through 2 boxes of shells and have three birds to show for it :lol:

Yes :lol: sounds like most my experiences. $75 for a dove kabob. They actually fly really well around here the first few days. Believe guys who know what they are doing typically get a pretty easy 15 limit. I just never could get excited about it. I enjoy sitting on the cooler talking smack to my dad. Good lord what are u shooting at? :lol: Fun times
-John Wayne-
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 am

I used to go every year but haven’t been in quite a while. It is a lot of fun but it opens the same time as bow season so I just have been more motivated to deer hunt.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:41 am

I used too but not in the last 10 years. It was fun with a dog. I'd flush them in standing corn or just sit and wait. Never shot a limit though.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:52 am

Dad and I go every year in Indiana. It’s all public land draw system, but we go and scout every field so we are always ahead of the game. This year opening day is this coming Tuesday, I have number 55 which should get us in one of the better 3/4 fields. I used to hate it before we scouted because it was always such a crap shoot and if you got in a bad field it’s a real waste of time I would only go to spend time with my Dad. We started scouting 3 years ago and have had awesome hunting since. Just like deer, the more you scout the better chance you have.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:41 am

I have sat on the edge of a field on a bucket and shot at them if that counts.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:53 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:Dad and I go every year in Indiana. It’s all public land draw system, but we go and scout every field so we are always ahead of the game. This year opening day is this coming Tuesday, I have number 55 which should get us in one of the better 3/4 fields. I used to hate it before we scouted because it was always such a crap shoot and if you got in a bad field it’s a real waste of time I would only go to spend time with my Dad. We started scouting 3 years ago and have had awesome hunting since. Just like deer, the more you scout the better chance you have.

I will always agree with the more u put in the more u get out. But here it’s a shooting fish in a barrel type thing. Nothing canned hunting wise. But the entire county plants Milo. They are thicker than mosquitoes around here. My thing was I just never cared for the tastes of a all dark meat bird. I love quail, but there’s none around these parts . So I raise em for no reason other than to eat. No, I don’t shoot them flying out of baskets! I reach my hand in there pen and rip off there heads. Personally don’t like the coarse grind federal premium ammunition seasoning. But understand it could be a blast for others dusting the feathers. I’m all for it. But honestly seems a bit silly to pay $1500 to shoot 15 tweety birds go buy a darn prime turkey for $35 and I think u would enjoy it better. JMO
-John Wayne-
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:11 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:Dad and I go every year in Indiana. It’s all public land draw system, but we go and scout every field so we are always ahead of the game. This year opening day is this coming Tuesday, I have number 55 which should get us in one of the better 3/4 fields. I used to hate it before we scouted because it was always such a crap shoot and if you got in a bad field it’s a real waste of time I would only go to spend time with my Dad. We started scouting 3 years ago and have had awesome hunting since. Just like deer, the more you scout the better chance you have.

I will always agree with the more u put in the more u get out. But here it’s a shooting fish in a barrel type thing. Nothing canned hunting wise. But the entire county plants Milo. They are thicker than mosquitoes around here. My thing was I just never cared for the tastes of a all dark meat bird. I love quail, but there’s none around these parts . So I raise em for no reason other than to eat. No, I don’t shoot them flying out of baskets! I reach my hand in there pen and rip off there heads. Personally don’t like the coarse grind federal premium ammunition seasoning. But understand it could be a blast for others dusting the feathers. I’m all for it. But honestly seems a bit silly to pay $1500 to shoot 15 tweety birds go buy a darn prime turkey for $35 and I think u would enjoy it better. JMO

I understand what you are saying. In all honestly the taste does not thrill me, it’s more about spending time with my dad, he loves it. But if we are going to do it I want to be successful at it, it’s not quite shooting fish in a barrel up here, lol. If you are in a bad field you won’t kill at all. It’s more fun to flush them up, but you can’t do that on public till like day 5/6 here in Indiana.
As far as cost, it’s not that much for non residents in Indiana, you can buy a 5 day license. I purchased the whole year license because I hunt rabbit in Indiana also, it was like 90 bucks, I think my dads for the 5 day came out to like 60 with the dove stamp and hip number. Have to use Steel shot so I think that was 40 bucks, plus gas and food. So I will probably have 150/200 bucks in the whole thing by time all said and done. Well worth it to spend time with my dad and get to shoot something and have a good time in the process. No way I would ever pay 1500 to dove hunt, I would not pay that to deer hunt. Also a good way to get kids into hunting as there is a lot more action. On my list of hunting it’s way down the list but again I think it’s my dads favorite. I also can’t wait to take my kids out when they get older, it will be a blast.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:15 am

This was my Me, My dad, and Brother from 2012. This was the year that got me back into it. I had quite Hunting them because the hunting was so bad. But this year my dad and brother had limited 2/3 days straight so I purchased a license last minute and we had a great time. My brother is a crack shot so he was limited pretty fast, took me till about an hour of shooting left, and then my dad limited with about 5 minutes left. At was an awesome day with family hunting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:28 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

I understand what you are saying. In all honestly the taste does not thrill me, it’s more about spending time with my dad, he loves it. But if we are going to do it I want to be successful at it, it’s not quite shooting fish in a barrel up here, lol. If you are in a bad field you won’t kill at all. It’s more fun to flush them up, but you can’t do that on public till like day 5/6 here in Indiana.
As far as cost, it’s not that much for non residents in Indiana, you can buy a 5 day license. I purchased the whole year license because I hunt rabbit in Indiana also, it was like 90 bucks, I think my dads for the 5 day came out to like 60 with the dove stamp and hip number. Have to use Steel shot so I think that was 40 bucks, plus gas and food. So I will probably have 150/200 bucks in the whole thing by time all said and done. Well worth it to spend time with my dad and get to shoot something and have a good time in the process. No way I would ever pay 1500 to dove hunt, I would not pay that to deer hunt. Also a good way to get kids into hunting as there is a lot more action. On my list of hunting it’s way down the list but again I think it’s my dads favorite. I also can’t wait to take my kids out when they get older, it will be a blast.

I understand mam. Just coming from a local yocall type deal that the stuff has got out of hand. I enjoy that time with my dad as well. But it terms of hunting, kids, and opportunity. I believe there are better options at a tastier value. Such as hog hunting. In my parts I don’t even Believe u need a hunting license. While I’m no Nostradamus I believe a pig would be more memorable than a tweety bird. Duck hunting is another cause all lakes fall under public. There will be a day when the greed of the land owner prices them on the outs! And I’m gonna sit back and laugh. I’m sure some will comment it’s there land and are entitled to the set market. Just funny to me how the market used to be a knock on the door. Or how these days the same land owner refers to a hvac tech or car mechanic as a crook.
-John Wayne-
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

I understand mam. Just coming from a local yocall type deal that the stuff has got out of hand. I enjoy that time with my dad as well. But it terms of hunting, kids, and opportunity. I believe there are better options at a tastier value. Such as hog hunting. In my parts I don’t even Believe u need a hunting license. While I’m no Nostradamus I believe a pig would be more memorable than a tweety bird. Duck hunting is another cause all lakes fall under public. There will be a day when the greed of the land owner prices them on the outs! And I’m gonna sit back and laugh. I’m sure some will comment it’s there land and are entitled to the set market. Just funny to me how the market used to be a knock on the door. Or how these days the same land owner refers to a hvac tech or car mechanic as a crook.

Yup I get what you are saying, That is what is great about hunting, every person can have their cup of tea. Mine fade in and out, 10 years ago I was not turkey hunting, now I can’t stop thinking about it. It’s really all what is available. But if we had hogs here, my wife would probably divorce me, cause that would just be too many hunting seasons. :lol: The other day I was thinking about trapping snapping turtles just because I felt I needed to hunt something. Dove will scratch the itch in a few days!
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:46 am

My family normally does a big open weekend dove hunt but not this year due too the hurricane.

Our house took damage, my sisters house took more damage, my uncle lost everything.
wjung

Unread postby wjung » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:31 am

Opening day here in WI. The last 2 or 3 years we had a lot (close to 100 birds) around the grounds here at work, which is 65 acres surrounded by another several hundred we can hunt, but usually a week before they are gone and we only can scratch a few here and there. Not this year! Shot 20 between 2 guys, should have been a lot more but we were a bit late getting set up when the main flight started and we both ran out of shells!! What a blast though. Bacon wrapped dove for lunch!!! :L: Going out a bit earlier tomorrow morning to give it a go.
Times like these make me wonder why I spend so much time in a stand!

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”