Brittanys?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Brittanys?

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:28 am

Not sure if this is a good place to post this? But my wife and I are looking for a good bird dog mostly for a pet for our 7yo son.

I had to compromise a lot as my wife initially wanted a little toy poodle or something of that nature whereas I always had Labs and Golden Retrievers growing up and was just going that route initially. She was adamant that she would NOT settle for larger dogs. So in searching we settled on getting a Brittany as it fit her size requirement, seem to be good with kids, would fit my outdoors lifestyle but be good around the house with her and I could take it upland bird hunting down the road as well as ive always wanted to get into pheasant hunting but never had the opportunity growing up.

The problem, trying to find one available! Just wondering if any Beasts know of any good breeders and such within say a 6 hour drive of WI? We are trying to get on as many waiting lists as we can or even better find someone without a waiting list for Brittany puppies that we could purchase sooner. Didn't anticipate them being such a difficult dog to find.

Thanks for any info any of you guys might have.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Brittanys?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:38 am

FWIW:
My neighbor has a Brittany and he is a very high energy dog. He takes him for a run every day after work to burn off the dogs energy.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:21 am

https://www.versatiledogs.com/kdb/searc ... nel&id=173

I bought a Brittany from Bruce 15 years ago. Very good dog, great nose, great drive and a real family dog. I'm not sure if they are still breeding, but he knows his business.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:38 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:https://www.versatiledogs.com/kdb/search.php?homePage=kennel&id=173

I bought a Brittany from Bruce 15 years ago. Very good dog, great nose, great drive and a real family dog. I'm not sure if they are still breeding, but he knows his business.

Perfect ill touch base with him through his site, much appreciated.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:39 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:FWIW:
My neighbor has a Brittany and he is a very high energy dog. He takes him for a run every day after work to burn off the dogs energy.

Bob

Our son is definitely high energy. I currently take him for runs after work to burn off energy! :lol:
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 am

Sounds like you have decided on a Brittany, can't help much there.

I never had a Brittany, but girlfriend, now wife, had a Cocker. The spaniels have long coats that can pick up burs. I had a Viszla that was a great family dog, AWESOME pheasant dog and had a short coat. Smaller dog as well. Might want to look at them, probably as hard or harder to find than a Brittany though.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:02 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:FWIW:

Bob

Our son is definitely high energy. I currently take him for runs after work to burn off energy! :lol:

Perfect.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:07 pm

Nothing wrong with brittanys, I grew up with them and vizslas. Brits are burr magnets and really shed a lot. Vizslas are called "velcro dogs" for a reason, they cant give you enough love. Cant complain on the short cost and quite a bit less shedding and scent as well. We gotta V 4 years ago and can't describe how great of a family dog she is.

She's my running buddy, thus far her record is a 20 miles, and it didnt put much of a dent in her. As far as bird hunting goes, they're pretty even, but I'll give the cards to a V because burrs and stickers brush right off them. My buddy has 2 Brits, they're great pups but like I said, they shed a TON of those white hairs.
20210402_220356.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:54 pm

I have a Brittany and they are amazing bird dogs and family pets. She definitely won't be the last one i own.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:17 am

muddy wrote:Nothing wrong with brittanys, I grew up with them and vizslas. Brits are burr magnets and really shed a lot. Vizslas are called "velcro dogs" for a reason, they cant give you enough love. Cant complain on the short cost and quite a bit less shedding and scent as well. We gotta V 4 years ago and can't describe how great of a family dog she is.

She's my running buddy, thus far her record is a 20 miles, and it didnt put much of a dent in her. As far as bird hunting goes, they're pretty even, but I'll give the cards to a V because burrs and stickers brush right off them. My buddy has 2 Brits, they're great pups but like I said, they shed a TON of those white hairs.
20210402_220356.jpg

Awesome!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:24 pm

The only info i have is that i know there’s a reputable breeder somewhere on the western side of the state. If you want me to dig around for more info i can but it looks like you may already have a lead?
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:45 pm

clandestine.misfit wrote:The only info i have is that i know there’s a reputable breeder somewhere on the western side of the state. If you want me to dig around for more info i can but it looks like you may already have a lead?

Yes sorry i actually already HAVE a Brittany now. Got her in June. I forgot about this thread! :lol:

That being said how can i close or delete it? Can i even?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:56 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
clandestine.misfit wrote:The only info i have is that i know there’s a reputable breeder somewhere on the western side of the state. If you want me to dig around for more info i can but it looks like you may already have a lead?

Yes sorry i actually already HAVE a Brittany now. Got her in June. I forgot about this thread! :lol:

You have to post pictures of your dog as required by the terms of this forum :mrgreen:
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:

You have to post pictures of your dog as required by the terms of this forum :mrgreen:

Agreed
Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:21 am

If you feel like driving to NC, Anderson Creek Hunting Preserve has some brittany's for sale.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”