Golden Doodles?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

anelson1

Golden Doodles?

Unread postby anelson1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:25 am

Hey guys. My wife and kids are pressuring me pressuring me pressuring me about these golden doodles that are available from a breeder nearby. (They might be mini GDs) We have to have our dogs bred with poodles because of allergies and asthma in the family... my question is, could this breed potentially cut it as an upland bird dog?

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Golden Doodles?

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:00 am

Good question. Have wondered the same. I think the problem is that they are too small to get thru the tough areas (at least on the public land in MN that we hunt. A smaller dog could get through the easier stuff. But, like deer hunting, the higher numbers and the biggest pheasant are in the nasty cattail type stuff.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Some can. Some I wouldn't bet the farm on them. Also, they require more grooming than other bird dogs. Their fur is soft and they get really shaggy if not kept clipped short.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 pm

Not sure on what kind of hunting dog they will make but I’ve been around a few of them and they were all super cool dogs. Great pets if nothing else.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
anelson1

Unread postby anelson1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:40 am

Thanks guys. It looks as though we're pulling the trigger. I'll see what I can do with the lil guy. Based on the parents he should end up near 40 lbs, possibly smaller but he's 2nd largest of the litter. They're supposed to be incredibly trainable like Goldens, so some day in the future I'll report back. He's definitely going to be a family pet first and foremost, but if he has a knack for flushing and retrieving, definite bonus.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 am

anelson1 wrote:Thanks guys. It looks as though we're pulling the trigger. I'll see what I can do with the lil guy. Based on the parents he should end up near 40 lbs, possibly smaller but he's 2nd largest of the litter. They're supposed to be incredibly trainable like Goldens, so some day in the future I'll report back. He's definitely going to be a family pet first and foremost, but if he has a knack for flushing and retrieving, definite bonus.

My brother has had two over the years. The first one ended up being giant, and wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he had a nice personality. This second one is a bit smaller and smarter.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:52 am

I've always seen them as hyper and high energy. Not a bad thing for an upland flushing dog if you train em to stay close.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:55 am

Pretty sure poodles originally were some sort of hunting dog in France, but more like labs with respect to duck hunting.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:46 am

Mine is a smaller one, only about 35lbs (3yrs old this yr). he is high strung, and for some reason skittish around me at times. never treated him roughly. he is very curly, so grooming is a pain, but he is great with my kids. he likes to chase birds and squirrels, and any other small critter. he has caught one bird, and a rabbit, didn't know what to do with them, so they lived after the encounter. (not the rabbit, lol) with some work, I am sure he could be trained, but he's only a pet. lol
Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:20 am

I dog sit a golden doodle and that dog is about as dumb as a box of rocks.

Honestly, don't know how he was raised or trained and don't know his bloodline. I do know he's a decent enough dog but would not think he would make a good hunting dog.

Do you due diligence with selecting a puppy and you may be surprised by the dog.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”