How many Pheasant hunters?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

How many Pheasant hunters?

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:32 pm

Im gonna try my hand at Pheasant hunting this year for the first time in 25 years. My dad has two amazing bird dogs and supposedly i dont have the trash to get shooting. We will see.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
john1984

Re: How many Pheasant hunters?

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:44 pm

I used too. Back in the fall of 99 south central MN, I was 15. That was my first year hunting. It took me several misses but I got 2 that year. Might be my most memorable year of hunting ever.

Haven't bird hunted in 11 or 12 yrs
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:24 pm

Yeah i was just a kid last time i went, see what happens. I bought that outrageous pheasant stamp PA has for 25 bucks so i better get something lol.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:13 pm

We bought a Brittany this year that has a huge prey drive. Spends all day pointing at flies and ants in our yard.

I’m not a pheasant hunter, i know nothing about how to train a pointer, but i figure me and that dog are going to try to figure it out together and knock down some pheasants. Will actually surprise me if we pull it off but i can’t imagine we won’t enjoy trying.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:31 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:We bought a Brittany this year that has a huge prey drive. Spends all day pointing at flies and ants in our yard.

I’m not a pheasant hunter, i know nothing about how to train a pointer, but i figure me and that dog are going to try to figure it out together and knock down some pheasants. Will actually surprise me if we pull it off but i can’t imagine we won’t enjoy trying.

Awesome. I had a Brittany. Great dogs.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:34 pm

Me and Jed chase them every year. Nothing quite like hunting with a good dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:38 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:We bought a Brittany this year that has a huge prey drive. Spends all day pointing at flies and ants in our yard.

Just get it trained to return to you on command. Electronic collars work best, once they recognize that must return to heel when they hear the tone you won’t need to shock them at all. The hunting part is easy, it’s in their blood.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:17 am

I've been seeing good numbers of pheasants this year, the Iowa DNR just released an article that says it should be a good season: https://www.iowadnr.gov/About-DNR/DNR-N ... st-of-Iowa

The mid '80's was great pheasant hunting for me. Used to have GSP's, then as CRP ground started to disappear, I got out of bird dogs and changed over to archery deer. I haven't taken the shotgun out of the safe for a number of years now. Been tempted to ground shoot a rooster from the bow stand a couple of times, but held off.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:46 am

I started going out in the late season for pheasants if I didn't have deer tags left. I've pinned where I've seen roosters and go to those areas, a couple private pieces I hunt will have some pheasants..I don't have a dog, I just walk and walk and try to kick some up, I've shot some roosters doing that but it's not a great way to go about it, doesn't work out most of the time, we don't have many pheasants in michigan either which doesn't help the cause
bruno1

Unread postby bruno1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:19 am

Just added a 3rd to my of bird dogs. Don’t know what I was thinking
DD6A66D6-B188-4EE8-A126-C8AB313A26E7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:07 pm

jmaas07 wrote:I started going out in the late season for pheasants if I didn't have deer tags left. I've pinned where I've seen roosters and go to those areas, a couple private pieces I hunt will have some pheasants..I don't have a dog, I just walk and walk and try to kick some up, I've shot some roosters doing that but it's not a great way to go about it, doesn't work out most of the time, we don't have many pheasants in michigan either which doesn't help the cause

I hunted pheasants without a dog most of my life. Started in 1975, didn’t own a bird dog until 1986. Granted, sometimes any dog is better than no dog, took our German Shepard for a stroll and she got “birdy” right before 3 roosters flushed.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:10 am

I think i rather have a shed dog then a bird dog. We only have dumb stock birds here anymore im sure it would be different if i lived in South Dakota.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 am

I got back into pheasant and duck hunting a couple of years ago. Mainly because I got another chocolate lab and he is just a natural. It would be a shame to not take him out. But, on top of that, it is a nice little break from archery hunting. The comradarie with the other guys is awesome. Will be taking a 5 day trip to SW Mn in October and then some other little hunts here and there.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:38 am

Hunt pheasant quail and grouse with and without dog. Actually get more without dog, just not as fun.

I’d choose this kind of hunting over all others if it was available around here.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:47 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I think i rather have a shed dog then a bird dog. We only have dumb stock birds here anymore im sure it would be different if i lived in South Dakota.

Unfortunately there are thousands of stocked birds in South Dakota that's why they have the bird numbers that they do. I raise roosters to release and I can't tell the difference between a released bird and a wild bird.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”