Anyone ready for turkey season?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Anyone ready for turkey season?

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:12 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Picked up some 4 shot today its the only ammo I'm sure is legal.
Screenshot_20230407_135116_Gallery.jpg

As Backstraps has already assured you, the #5 birdshot that you already had is is perfectly legal in your State per the regs you posted; (and probably more effective for headshots on turkeys due to slightly better pattern density than #4).
#5 birdshot pellets are physically SMALLER than #4 birdshot, (and # 4 birdshot are also legal).

(Don't confuse #4 BIRDSHOT with #4 BUCKSHOT; they are different!)

The State just doesn't want you hunting turkeys while using any size shot pellets that are PHYSICALLY BIGGER than #4 birdshot, lest you be tempted to try to poach a convenient deer with it.
At least that's what I always understood as the implied reason for the prohibition of "near-buckshot-sized" shot pellets for small game hunting here in Wisconsin.

The prohibition against it for waterfowl hunting probably also had concerns of hunters being peppered by falling shot, which happens a lot in the big duck marshes. Smaller pellets hurt less.

I think WI changed the regs recently so that you can now use some of the bigger shot sizes for bobcats and coyotes, but I'm not sure on all the specifics of that.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:32 am

KRONIIK wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Picked up some 4 shot today its the only ammo I'm sure is legal.
Screenshot_20230407_135116_Gallery.jpg

As Backstraps has already assured you, the #5 birdshot that you already had is is perfectly legal in your State per the regs you posted; (and probably more effective for headshots on turkeys due to slightly better pattern density than #4).
#5 birdshot pellets are physically SMALLER than #4 birdshot, (and # 4 birdshot are also legal).

(Don't confuse #4 BIRDSHOT with #4 BUCKSHOT; they are different!)

The State just doesn't want you hunting turkeys while using any size shot pellets that are PHYSICALLY BIGGER than #4 birdshot, lest you be tempted to try to poach a convenient deer with it.
At least that's what I always understood as the implied reason for the prohibition of "near-buckshot-sized" shot pellets for small game hunting here in Wisconsin.

The prohibition against it for waterfowl hunting probably also had concerns of hunters being peppered by falling shot, which happens a lot in the big duck marshes. Smaller pellets hurt less.

I think WI changed the regs recently so that you can now use some of the bigger shot sizes for bobcats and coyotes, but I'm not sure on all the specifics of that.

True but they had the number 4 where I was and it took no effort too buy a few boxes.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:55 am

Well it's not like you can ever have too much ammo.
Get it whenever you can.

If you have the time, toss a few shots of each load at a paper plate, (or better yet a turkey head/neck target) at forty yards and count the pellet hits with each load.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:49 am

Today I found out that the wma I usually hunt,scout during turkey season is quota only. So I began looking at open wmas and was shocked.

For entire west Tennessee .

Around 100 miles north to south and 200 plus miles east to west . Their is only 2 wmas I've found open with no quota. I admit I didn't look at every single one but the majority of them.

This turkey seasons gonna be rough.
And they are doing nothing to reduce the coyote population that has reduced the turkey population..
They can do quota hunts till they are blue in the face but until the coyotes are removed the Turkey population isn't going to increase.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:11 am

Sorry to rant I just honestly feel like the individuals in charge of my states wildlife are just like liberals they have no common sense. If your gonna quota fine but take out the coyote threat that will harm future turkey and fawn populations.

Only areas I've seen open are.

Obion river , units,
White lake wma.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:42 am

Bonecrusher did you draw your turkey tags?

Chickasaw I was shocked to see go quota only I see turkeys in it alot south of hwy 100. It has a far higher turkey population then deer population.

Natchez I understand the deer and turkey populations declining from coyotes.

I don't think any of the refuges are open non quota and are quota draw only.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:45 pm

I'm excited. Got my new shotgun patterned the other day. Also got some Magnus bullhead broadheads that I started shooting tonight. Hope to fill a tag with the bow

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”