Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bearpawon

Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby Bearpawon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:21 pm

I was digging thru my books recently and found a book called "medicinal and other uses of North American plants: a historical survey with special reference to the eastern Indian tribes" by Charlotte Erichson-Brown. Anyways, the author basically went thru very old books written by the Europeans when they first came here and copied what these guys wrote about how the First Nations people's were using the plants. Including the index its 512 pages with the chapters being : evergreen trees, deciduous trees, shrubs and vines, wet open places, woods and thickets, and dry open places. If you like this stuff it's a really good book especially if you live in the northeast. If you guys want me to look up a plant and post what it says feel free

headgear
500 Club

Re: Medicinal and other uses of North american plants (book)

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Pretty much everything we need comes from nature but for some reason people think you are crazy to go out in the woods and pick some food/medicine.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:21 am

headgear wrote:Pretty much everything we need comes from nature but for some reason people think you are crazy to go out in the woods and pick some food/medicine.

There is a particular plant I use for medicinal purposes :whistle:
My grandpa and I go round and round. He says he would consider it if some pharmaceutical company created some processed pill form you could go and pay for. ???
How about a seed in the ground? I don't get it.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 am

one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:47 am

Jewel weed
How bad do you want it?
Killtree

Unread postby Killtree » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.

I have been using jewel weed for many years.
You can make a tea from yellow root and gargle it. Does wonders for a soar throat.
:violence-bowandarrow:
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:38 am

Killtree wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:one plant I use constantly is jewel weed I put it on my exposed skin when scouting. works for bug bites poison ivy oak sumac stinging nettle pretty much everything works as a cover scent and deer eat it grows all over the river bottoms and wetlands I hunt.

You can make a tea from yellow root and gargle it. Does wonders for a soar throat.

I like I know its an edible plant and it works for swelling from bug bites. rub your clothes with spice bush for bugs and ticks then apply jewel weed to the ones that get ya. there are so many plants out there moss has iodine in it that purifies water and helps with cuts and scrapes. not to mention all the edibles I pic berries all summer feed your kids that with wild game and other plants they will never get sick. my grandmother was big on living off nature she made it too 98 years old with no meds her whole life.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:10 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
Killtree wrote:

I like I know its an edible plant and it works for swelling from bug bites. rub your clothes with spice bush for bugs and ticks then apply jewel weed to the ones that get ya. there are so many plants out there moss has iodine in it that purifies water and helps with cuts and scrapes. not to mention all the edibles I pic berries all summer feed your kids that with wild game and other plants they will never get sick. my grandmother was big on living off nature she made it too 98 years old with no meds her whole life.

That’s pretty neat.

Sadly each subsequent generation loses more of this knowledge
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:34 pm

I like to make a nice tea from peyote. Really helps pass the time while on stand lol
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I like to make a nice tea from peyote. Really helps pass the time while on stand lol

That explains a lot Boogie! :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I like to make a nice tea from peyote. Really helps pass the time while on stand lol

That explains a lot Boogie! :lol:

:lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”