Best flasher/electronics for ice fishing

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Best flasher/electronics for ice fishing

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Don't think you have to have a flasher for ice fishing either. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but it's not uncommon for guys to have a boat style locator for ice fishing. They allow you to look back at your jigging cadence and with some practice, they will work just as good as a flasher plus serve dual purpose in the summer for you.

In my opinion, with electronics, you get what you pay for. The exception is flashers. The amount of money paid for that technology is sad. My grandpa has one of the original green box flashers and when set right works just as good as my marcum. And I think that was from the 80's-90's.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Jonny wrote:Don't think you have to have a flasher for ice fishing either. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but it's not uncommon for guys to have a boat style locator for ice fishing. They allow you to look back at your jigging cadence and with some practice, they will work just as good as a flasher plus serve dual purpose in the summer for you.

In my opinion, with electronics, you get what you pay for. The exception is flashers. The amount of money paid for that technology is sad. My grandpa has one of the original green box flashers and when set right works just as good as my marcum. And I think that was from the 80's-90's.

Yeah I realize a flasher is not needed and caught fish just fine the rest of my life without one. I'm kind of a tinkerer and like to try new things. Figured it was time I broke down and bought something for ice fishing. I would sure help with exploring new areas or lakes I have little experience on. Sonar and GPS in addition to a flasher would be huge. Thinking due to that I will be purchasing the Humminbird Ice Helix 7 kit and then pulling the unit out and mounting on a bow mount bracket in my boat for the rest of the year. Dual purpose just makes the most sense to me.

Now I just need to find a good deal. :think:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 pm

I would not get a Helix 7 Ice unit. You lose way to much IMO. If I were in your shoes I think I would go with the HELIX 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N. That way you would have the ethernet connectivity, I-Pilot Link (in case your Helix 9 ever needed service you wouldn't be dead in the water), AutoChart Live, etc.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I would not get a Helix 7 Ice unit. You lose way to much IMO. If I were in your shoes I think I would go with the HELIX 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2N. That way you would have the ethernet connectivity, I-Pilot Link (in case your Helix 9 ever needed service you wouldn't be dead in the water), AutoChart Live, etc.

That unit is $800 before setting up for ice use. Seems like overkill to me. I don't need Side Imaging up front in my boat when my console unit with SI and DI is only 6-7 feet away. As far as worrying about my Helix 9 failing and needing repair that isn't a concern. Chances of that happening are very slim and if it did it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Before I make a decision I'm still waiting to hear back from Humminbird to answer my question if the Ice Helix specs out the same as the normal Helix. It appears it does but wanted to clear that with them.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about a break down either. It was just a thought. The specs look a bit different to me on their web site as far as features go. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 am

After much thought and studying options from all manufactures I decided to just keep it simple and go with the Humminbird Ice 55 flasher. Ordered it today at a good price and will have it by next Friday. In the end I decided to stick with Humminbird because I think their customer service is great and am very pleased with their products.

I'm gonna buy a Helix 7 for the front of my boat as well so in the future if I really want to use it for ice fishing I can just swap it in the ice box with the flasher unit.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:11 am

Dewey wrote:After much thought and studying options from all manufactures I decided to just keep it simple and go with the Humminbird Ice 55 flasher. Ordered it today at a good price and will have it by next Friday. In the end I decided to stick with Humminbird because I think their customer service is great and am very pleased with their products.

I'm gonna buy a Helix 7 for the front of my boat as well so in the future if I really want to use it for ice fishing I can just swap it in the ice box with the flasher unit.

Good choice. Always buy what you know and are comfortable with. Now you just have to come out and fish with us
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:19 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:After much thought and studying options from all manufactures I decided to just keep it simple and go with the Humminbird Ice 55 flasher. Ordered it today at a good price and will have it by next Friday. In the end I decided to stick with Humminbird because I think their customer service is great and am very pleased with their products.

Good choice. Always buy what you know and are comfortable with. Now you just have to come out and fish with us

I prefer fishing up in Vilas County. Unlimited opportunities up there. Fishing pressure down here sucks. I enjoy seeking out and exploring lakes where there are no crowds.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:47 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I wouldn't be too worried about a break down either. It was just a thought. The specs look a bit different to me on their web site as far as features go. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Just got a reply back from Humminbird and they claim the Ice Helix 7 is the same base unit that is sold for boat use.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 am

Converted my helix 7 with an ice ducer. Used it over new years up in northern Wisconsin. I also have a marcum lx3 and lx 5. I really wanted the helix to go to my way points that I marked in summer and it worked as intended. As for the flasher it doesn't compare to the marcums. Seems to have a slower response to the jig on the flasher compared to the marcum.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 am

rutnbuck wrote:Converted my helix 7 with an ice ducer. Used it over new years up in northern Wisconsin. I also have a marcum lx3 and lx 5. I really wanted the helix to go to my way points that I marked in summer and it worked as intended. As for the flasher it doesn't compare to the marcums. Seems to have a slower response to the jig on the flasher compared to the marcum.

Good to know. I was concerned about the flasher in the Helix not being as good as a dedicated flasher so that is why I went with the Ice 55. Reading reviews of the Helix flasher mode really changed my decision.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:46 am

Fished all my life without a flasher, always did well. My buddy however has a flasher now and said it's a huge game changer. He said he won't fish without one. That got me reading this thread. Thanks for all the great info.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

kenn1320 wrote:Fished all my life without a flasher, always did well. My buddy however has a flasher now and said it's a huge game changer. He said he won't fish without one. That got me reading this thread. Thanks for all the great info.

Using a flasher really depends on where you are fishing and what for. When I go for panfish in less than 15' of water, I have long inline rods that are probably 4' long for hole hopping. My dad and I were in la crosse about 2 weeks ago and easily out fished everybody with flashers. Not to sound cocky, most guys had 5-10 decent fish, we had our limits of huge fish.

Now fishing deep water, using bigger baits, or going for game fish, I want a locator. You get less bites and need to make them count. And on lakes like lake poygan and Winnebago, you need to make sure you are on fish. If you aren't on fish, I don't care how good of a fisherman you are, you won't catch any.

Point being, a flasher is an aid. It doesn't make you a better fisherman. It helps you catch fish but will also cost you fish if you don't know how to use it. The biggest piece of advice is to fish the way you normally do. Do not fish the locator. I always mark fish with it but most don't bite. You have to learn how to know the difference between fish you will catch and not catch. Would you ever hunt a buck that is 100% nocturnal? It's the same thing. I think if you are serious into ice fishing, you should have a flasher, but that doesn't mean it always needs to be used.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Jonny wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:Fished all my life without a flasher, always did well. My buddy however has a flasher now and said it's a huge game changer. He said he won't fish without one. That got me reading this thread. Thanks for all the great info.

Using a flasher really depends on where you are fishing and what for. When I go for panfish in less than 15' of water, I have long inline rods that are probably 4' long for hole hopping. My dad and I were in la crosse about 2 weeks ago and easily out fished everybody with flashers. Not to sound cocky, most guys had 5-10 decent fish, we had our limits of huge fish.

Now fishing deep water, using bigger baits, or going for game fish, I want a locator. You get less bites and need to make them count. And on lakes like lake poygan and Winnebago, you need to make sure you are on fish. If you aren't on fish, I don't care how good of a fisherman you are, you won't catch any.

Point being, a flasher is an aid. It doesn't make you a better fisherman. It helps you catch fish but will also cost you fish if you don't know how to use it. The biggest piece of advice is to fish the way you normally do. Do not fish the locator. I always mark fish with it but most don't bite. You have to learn how to know the difference between fish you will catch and not catch. Would you ever hunt a buck that is 100% nocturnal? It's the same thing. I think if you are serious into ice fishing, you should have a flasher, but that doesn't mean it always needs to be used.

That's my thought as well. We always moved. Not a fan of sitting the same hole for hours. I run and gun locating fish that are biting. Seems the flasher would slow you down. Doesn't do any good to stay at a hole marking fish that won't bite. On the other hand he says he can tell right when he is gonna get a bite, or know when to reel in cause a pike is close to his bait. I clamp on a lead weight, find the depth. Then I start close to bottom and work the water column looking for aggressive fish or suspended fish. No bites after 10min, I'm punching a new hole.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Regarding a flasher on ice, it depends on the species- for perch I really don't use it and smoke everyone whether they are using electronics or not. For tournament walleye fishing it can be a critical aid. When I see a toad approach my lure my jigging action is very different from the long range attraction moves I made prior to seeing the fish on the flasher. If the big walleye doesn't hit right away I immediately start bringing her up in the water column and may change the cadence and action. I've brought fish off the bottom a foot at a time and was close to the hole before they hit. Also critical is seeing the big hen swim away from my lure and they return to the bottom. most often I can return my lure to the bottom and get her back to start the process over again. Having a flasher is critical in this environment and it doesn't matter how good of a fisherman you are- you are missing out without one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”