2024 Shed Thread

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntingHamrick

Re: 2024 Shed Thread

Unread postby HuntingHamrick » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:41 pm

Two small ones for me this week. Hopefully run into one of them in 4-5 years haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:14 am

Made it out for a couple hours over the weekend.
20240330_113632.jpg
20240330_121130.jpg
20240330_125109.jpg
20240315_180152.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
equal opportunity hunter
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:37 pm

That's THE shed I wanted the most of all the bucks that I knew survived. His other side is a 4pt side and longer tined and bigger beamed but that side is pretty dang awesome. There's only 5" between the base and end of the main beam. Taped out at about 62" which is by far my biggest shed. Heck, that's the biggest antler in my house. Lol. Sadly, the other side was dropped about 10 days earlier and I haven't found it yet. He seemed to go on a hiatus about once a week or 2 for a couple days and I haven't figured out where he goes. Or if I just don't get pics of him for those few days and he's still in there.

This is my pups first year. He actually turned a year old in February. We're at 10 wild sheds. Doesn't seem like a lot...but it's my best year and we're not done just yet. And now he's really clicking. I'm determined to get him on more. We're having a blast and he absolutely loves it. His grit and determination is visible and its awesome to watch.

My goal with him is to get him trained up so I can scout and he can shed hunt. Lol. I've learned if I'm scouting, I can't find sheds unless they are pretty dang obvious. If I'm shed hunting, I'm not doing much good scouting. I just can't focus on 2 different tasks.

Tough year around here. Very mild winter. Odd antler drop. 30-50% seemed to drop early...late December into January. Then the normal drop around valentines day...the. a trickle here n there. I just saw a buck yesterday still packing and got pics this evening of one with visible growth. Most my properties..public or not...are timber. Browse deer mostly. With no viable acorns or mast of any sort, and mild Temps, the deer seemed to spend the days roaming. I have 75 miles or so thus far and pretty much every step of the way was in fresh deer sign where sheds could be. Very little good feeding sign.

I think the majority of ours are actually old. I know a few are. 2 were found in September checking cameras.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:03 am

mauser06 wrote:Image

That's THE shed I wanted the most of all the bucks that I knew survived. His other side is a 4pt side and longer tined and bigger beamed but that side is pretty dang awesome. There's only 5" between the base and end of the main beam. Taped out at about 62" which is by far my biggest shed. Heck, that's the biggest antler in my house. Lol. Sadly, the other side was dropped about 10 days earlier and I haven't found it yet. He seemed to go on a hiatus about once a week or 2 for a couple days and I haven't figured out where he goes. Or if I just don't get pics of him for those few days and he's still in there.

This is my pups first year. He actually turned a year old in February. We're at 10 wild sheds. Doesn't seem like a lot...but it's my best year and we're not done just yet. And now he's really clicking. I'm determined to get him on more. We're having a blast and he absolutely loves it. His grit and determination is visible and its awesome to watch.

My goal with him is to get him trained up so I can scout and he can shed hunt. Lol. I've learned if I'm scouting, I can't find sheds unless they are pretty dang obvious. If I'm shed hunting, I'm not doing much good scouting. I just can't focus on 2 different tasks.

Tough year around here. Very mild winter. Odd antler drop. 30-50% seemed to drop early...late December into January. Then the normal drop around valentines day...the. a trickle here n there. I just saw a buck yesterday still packing and got pics this evening of one with visible growth. Most my properties..public or not...are timber. Browse deer mostly. With no viable acorns or mast of any sort, and mild Temps, the deer seemed to spend the days roaming. I have 75 miles or so thus far and pretty much every step of the way was in fresh deer sign where sheds could be. Very little good feeding sign.

I think the majority of ours are actually old. I know a few are. 2 were found in September checking cameras.

That is a very cool picture!! Darn what a shed too. Hope you get a chance to connect on him this fall.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:47 am

Thanx! The shed fell off up onnthe hillside in a 100 acre clear cut that buck seems to call home....I "cheat" a bit and run feed stations when/where I can to help my shed efforts. Last year I picked up 8 or 9 within a couple hundred yards of my pile. This year, 3 piles and that's the only shed I found near them thus far. Just an odd year. That buck was on that camera regularly in December and January prior to feeding....when I started feeding, he basically lived in front of the camera. I have lots of great pics and videos of him.

Going to be a tough area to hunt and I acquired access in the late season so it'll be a fresh year.

That area where the pic was taken just made for a nice pic....and it's tore up with big buck sign. I need to keep pounding the area and learn everything I can prior to green up. He's aughta be a heck of a buck. And there is another good 8 point and I had one shed earlier that looked like a horse. Looking like a good area to have permission.

Hopefully we can turn up a few more of the nicer sheds in there yet.

Watching the pup find that shed and roll it out of the brush was something else. He about did back flips because he had no idea they got that big lol. Funny I actually walked by that shed once and I'm kind of embarrassed. Pretty wide open under some big hemlocks and I should have seen it from the line I walked. Made a 2nd pass up through and saw the pup get "sheddy" and start scenting. Watched him start tugging on something and didn't know what he was doing till I saw tines roll out.
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:19 pm

An hour walk after work
20240404_175918.jpg
20240404_170414.jpg
20240404_183145.jpg
equal opportunity hunter
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:45 am

mauser06 wrote:Image

Awesome picture, very cool!
Strategically Inefficient
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:27 am

Still has 1 horn . Date is correct.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:26 pm

Was out traveling in Nebraska for work this week and had time to walk a random chunk of public land. Scored a nice shed.
20240410_130953.jpg
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:57 pm

hunter_mike wrote:Was out traveling in Nebraska for work this week and had time to walk a random chunk of public land. Scored a nice shed.
20240410_130953.jpg

Nice!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:31 am

Found a decent one in KS

20240409_082856.jpg
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:42 am

Was able to get out for about 45 minutes the other day
attachment=1]20240409_184242.jpg[/attachment]
20240409_191312.jpg
equal opportunity hunter
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:18 am

First elk shed of the year and it looks to have been laying at least 2 years. Bumped a few shed bulls but never did find any fresh sheds.

20240414_171749.jpg
HuntingHamrick

Unread postby HuntingHamrick » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:00 pm

My old man putting me to shame with the shed, probably will with the turkey hunting this year before it’s all said and done.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 am

20240418_093054.jpg

Found this morning while turkey hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”