Shed hunting

Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossyhorns

Shed hunting

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:14 pm

When do you guys start looking for sheds and do you feel that it actually spreads some light as to where his main bedding for the rut is?

Yeah, well....sometimes nothin can be a real cool hand.
-Cool Hand Luke
Mossyhorns

Re: She’s hunting

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 am

wow i must have been sleepy lol I meant to type shed hunting haha
-Cool Hand Luke
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:55 am

My iPhone does that with shed all the time. Spell check got ya. Haha
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:58 am

Mossyhorns wrote:wow i must have been sleepy lol I meant to type shed hunting haha

I fixed it for you.
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Dewey wrote:
Mossyhorns wrote:wow i must have been sleepy lol I meant to type shed hunting haha

I fixed it for you.

thanks man
-Cool Hand Luke
Mossyhorns

Unread postby Mossyhorns » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:48 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:My iPhone does that with shed all the time. Spell check got ya. Haha

yeah I think siri did it lol
-Cool Hand Luke
HoosierBowman2425

Re: Shed hunting

Unread postby HoosierBowman2425 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 pm

I've saw a couple bucks carrying one side already. I'll normally hold of until mid to late February. I've found some early sheds. Gotta find them before the squirrels do though.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm

I usually don’t get serious until late February or so and after most the snow is melted. Finding a shed has variable correlation with where you might find a buck during season. Kind of like velvet bucks. I bet more than half of all bucks have different ranges throughout the year. I distinctly remember a North American Cover story of a buck (I think in WI and scored in the 260s) that was killed by a young man. After the deer was killed, another hunter came forward with several sheds and velvet trail cam photos of the buck, but that hunter said he would always disappear prior to the rut. That location and where the buck was ultimately killed were 7 miles apart. I personally don’t get too excited about where I find a big shed or velvet trail cam photo anymore because of this and personal experience. Some stick around and some don’t.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:05 am

i start looking February im still hunting in January the deer have been dropping since December so i keep an eye out but i really hit it heavy later on. last year i found 2 in December while still hunting a bedding area. timing is funny in mountains buy me im seeing shed bucks every place. go down the road 2 miles in the low lands and every deer is still holding. stress is way different in more open woods compared too thick cover. where i find sheds are normally good spots for summer mineral sites early season and late season. during the rut the bucks could be miles away, but even then dont pass the spot off good buck bedding is good any time.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Mr. Lehey

Unread postby Mr. Lehey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Are any deer shedding in Wisconsin yet? I have one pic of a 1 antlered buck but not sure if he shed or is broke off??
michaelo

Unread postby michaelo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 am

Mr. Lehey wrote:Are any deer shedding in Wisconsin yet? I have one pic of a 1 antlered buck but not sure if he shed or is broke off??

I live in the west central part of the state and every buck I had on camera as of January 12th had both sides also a 2 hour walk around yielded nothing.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:25 pm

old buddy of mine used to always say that 3/4 of the bucks are shed out by valentines days. i think this is probably true by average but i definitely have different observations year to year. there are lots of variables. if it was up to me i wouldnt even start looking until march but i dont want to get beat to my spots by other hunters, squirrels or the green up so i start checking some of the easier places in February and ill check them a few times per year. i do 95% of my shed hunting within city limits in smaller patches, i really struggle finding them in the mountains where i do 95% of my bow hunting. but i guess if your going by the numbers there even harder to find if your barely looking for them the big woods, lol.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 am

one thing people should do if your serous about shed hunting is scout for it if im not running cameras for hunting im using them too monitor the deer. once you know where a buck is its alot easier too focus on his small winter core area then simply walking too your feet bleed. your shed hunting not shed marching.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Doublejake
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645026746

Unread postby Doublejake » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Mossyhorns wrote:When do you guys start looking for sheds and do you feel that it actually spreads some light as to where his main bedding for the rut is?

I hunt Vermont and have only found 2 sheds ever from 1 1/2 years old Bucks. Not to many monsters in the State. We shoot them in Veal ages.
I have been wanting VT to go to a 3 point APR for years now. After listening to a podcast on CWD maybe our current situation is good for the long term.
I’m not a expert on CWD or Whitetails but I sure would love to see and Harvest more Big Boys. A 3 1/2 year old in VT is a rare Gem.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:31 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:one thing people should do if your serous about shed hunting is scout for it if im not running cameras for hunting im using them too monitor the deer. once you know where a buck is its alot easier too focus on his small winter core area then simply walking too your feet bleed. your shed hunting not shed marching.

I agree.. this is what I’m doing now. I’ve been doing some shining. Bucks are back in bachelor groups here. I have some starting points to start looking. You can walk miles and miles here and never find a shed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”