Discussion about shed antlers, etc
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ranger12
500 Club

Antler trap

Unread postby Ranger12 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:10 am

Greetings beasts.

Just wanted to pick your mind on antler traps. I never find sheds and have been looking for years, and that’s fine with me. I just like being out there.
The topic of antler comes up because I know someone who has a small five acres of land with a tiny 40’x40’ food plot on the edge of the 5 acres. They found a matching four point set in the tiny plot and it had me thinking of a antler trap.
I understand the issues and concerns of antler traps involving the risk of pedicle breakage and I would not want that to happen.
My question is, are antler traps a negative thing? Are they unsportmanslike? is there a safe way to do it? Any recommendations?
I would just like to see what you guys thinks and see where your coming from wrether positive or negative.
I just thought it would be a fun way for people to possijor get sheds on small pieces of land, where they would not find them otherwise.
I look forward to your thoughts.

Elite
500 Club

Re: Antler trap

Unread postby Elite » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:23 am

I think in some states it’s illegal. It can get dicey if a buck gets his rack tangled in the trap. I wouldn’t recommend it.
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:06 am

Thanks for the response elite.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:49 pm

I haven’t used an antler trap.

The key to finding sheds is finding the food they are on at the time when they shed.

If you can I would suggest planting a late season food source.

I have found quite a few in brassica plots.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:53 am

Overall, and this is just my opinion, i think they’re a bad idea. The reason i think it’s a bad idea is because it adds the possibility of a buck getting tangled up in one. So for me, i wouldn’t do it for that one single reason.

But maybe someone has done it for years and never had that happen i don’t know? Just the possibility of it makes me shy away from them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Shed Antler”