Summer time coyote

• Advertisement

HB Store

Curdog10

Summer time coyote

Unread postby Curdog10 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:34 am

I am new to trapping coyotes and have done as much research as possible in a short time as I can on the subject . I'm just looking for any advise or tips and tricks I should know about .

Dublelung

Re: Summer time coyote

Unread postby Dublelung » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 am

I do a good bit of summer coyote trapping and the best tip I can offer is try to keep from sweating all over the ground while making your sets. It's very hot and humid where I'm from and it's a pain to control scent this time of year. I also use mostly urine and gland lures this time of year instead of baits. Baits won't last long due to fire ants eating it. The smell of good coyote urine will last several days even though it isn't visible at the set.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 am

If you are looking to trap in the fall/winter, this is my process for it: (1) Pick your spot; don't overthink this. I always look at roadways, edges, trails, anything that you know a coyote may take from point A to B. They are looking to take the path of least resistance, just like we would do. (2) Once I pick out a spot for a set, I make sure that I have some decent backing and I make 2 dirtholes. I use about 36" piece of rebar with a sharpened point to make a hole on each side of the backing. The holes are approximately 15-20" apart. I make them at a 45 degree angle to the backing. Hammer the rebar down and start going in a circular motion with the end you hammered on. It will make a cone shaped hole. Use bait in the bottom of the holes and urine on the backing. (3) Place the trap in line with the backing at the normal distance you would do at any dirthole set. There is no need to try and offset. If the coyote tries to work both holes he/she should be all over the top of the trap. Just make sure that you have a solid bed and try not to leave too much scent.

This is as easy of a setup that I have found that works. I use it all the time and have done quite well with it. I'm not a big numbers guy, but for the amount of traps that I run I do pretty well. And don't forget to set up your traps to use with the prevailing wind. Good luck!
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Scent! Summer trapping is HOT. Watch sweating everywhere.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”