Live from the Trap line

• Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Live from the Trap line

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:34 pm

Ryan549 wrote:I’ve had issues with beavers on my property. Phenomenal engineers, but incredibly destructive.

In my opinion they are relatively easy to trap, but that is a very limited opinion, and I did my home work before I started trapping. You should get some traps and go after them, it's alot of fun.

Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 am

Awesome job! :clap:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 am

Nice thread to follow. You seem to be doing great.

You gonna try to sell the skins? I've heard about auction houses but no idea how all that works.

I recently picked up a Duke 280 and two 110s.
Can't get the springs to compress on the 110s, never-mind the 280. Are you using a tool to set the 330s?

Figure the traps have to be set and sit for a while to soften the springs. I can't get the 110s to budge! LOL!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:45 am

Rich M wrote:Nice thread to follow. You seem to be doing great.

You gonna try to sell the skins? I've heard about auction houses but no idea how all that works.

Can't get the springs to compress on the 110s, never-mind the 280. Are you using a tool to set the 330s?

Figure the traps have to be set and sit for a while to soften the springs. I can't get the 110s to budge! LOL!

I sold everything so far to a local buyer. Got 6 a piece for the small beavers, and 16.50 for the big beavers. Averaged 2 bucks a piece for the coons. The most valuable thing sold was the beaver castor. Averaged 3.25 and ounce for a total of like 25 bucks.

It first I could not compress the 330 by hand, so I used the rope method, then i just kept practicing and got better with my technique and now i do them by hand. It takes some practice and technique, also the trap brand some are harder to compress.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:55 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:

I sold everything so far to a local buyer. Got 6 a piece for the small beavers, and 16.50 for the big beavers. Averaged 2 bucks a piece for the coons. The most valuable thing sold was the beaver castor. Averaged 3.25 and ounce for a total of like 25 bucks.

It first I could not compress the 330 by hand, so I used the rope method, then i just kept practicing and got better with my technique and now i do them by hand. It takes some practice and technique, also the trap brand some are harder to compress.

Glad you were able to get a return on the skins and castor.

Thanks for the reminder of the rope method - I'm gonna try that.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Rich M wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

Glad you were able to get a return on the skins and castor.

Thanks for the reminder of the rope method - I'm gonna try that.

What are you planning to trap with the 110s & the 280? I wanted to get some otter trapping in, but the season is almost out, and my wife doing this online teaching is killing my ability to trap before work in the morning, also gas prices aren’t helping. The guy I sold the fur to said based on his history prices should be higher next year because our oil is higher, and when our oil is higher Russia buys more fur, no idea on the connection, that is just what he told me. He said get permission on muskrat spots in the summer because a lot of guys are going to be trapping rats. I’m hoping to make a $1000 next year, and be able to buy a newer bow, that’s my goal at least.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:18 am

That's a great goal. When I was growing up, neighbor boy's dad trapped lots of muskrats. He would hit the storm-water ponds behind the larger stores and tear em up.

Have seen a couple diff ways to trap muskrats - den sets, either inside or the route in and carrots on a stick (randy newberg style - he's got a video on it).

Down here (FL), we don't get any fur as it doesn't get cold. Wanted to have some traps in case I ever needed them - typical city setting - trap is quieter than a .22 or 12 ga.

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”