Stop eating my trees

• Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Stop eating my trees

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:46 am

These dang beavers out here have been eating and dropping trees. Keep talking to some friends who trap and want to trap, and finally my good friend Matt stepped up. But first look at what they are doing out here. Okay, they aren't my trees, but my neighbors trees, but will still block my access to the lake.

So we set the traps yesterday, and by this morning we had 3. I was shocked when I checked them this morning.

Don't mess with our recreational use of the lake, we will take you out. Had a few neighbors call me this week about it and we went all in yesterday. So today we emptied the traps, skinned them out (well Matt mostly did that, but I held a leg here and there), and think I am going to be eating some beaver meat soon.

A few pics before the skinning begins.

Now the dirty work. Matt did most of it, but learned a lot and think I am going to eat some beaver meat this week.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/nrz8D7S5/20230108-113847.jpg[img]
[/img]https://i.postimg.cc/qvKPypQk/20230108-121034.jpg[/img]

Furs fluffed and puffed, hit them with the leaf blower, dang do they look nice.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Stop eating my trees

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:19 pm

Better get on them quick!(looks like you are getting a good start) We have them here on our property and about 8 yrs ago they had gotten out of control. Bad.
It’s amazing how fast they get to work and how devastating they can bet
Good luck!
Ryan
Didn’t GO20

Unread postby Didn’t GO20 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:22 pm

I remember when I was in my teens my dad trapped them heavily on the river, and one year for Christmas he Barbecued one for the family Christmas. :L:
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:32 pm

Nice job keep on em, looks to be a whole family in there. Looks as if you got 2 kits and a 2 yr old, I'm sure you got the 2 big adults yet and a kit or two left.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:54 pm

Good job. Busy as a beaver no more. Amazing how much destruction they can do if not controlled.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:48 pm

Nice... Ma Infalt used to bake a mean beaver. Cooked right they are awesome!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:36 am

8-) 8-) Nice work!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:32 pm

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Nice job keep on em, looks to be a whole family in there. Looks as if you got 2 kits and a 2 yr old, I'm sure you got the 2 big adults yet and a kit or two left.

Got anoder one.

Matt was saying the same that there should be 2 adults left, but I grabbed a fatty out of a trap this morning, guessing about 45-50lbs. As usual, my pics stink. Will never figure out why I am so bad at taking pics.

DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:42 pm

Nice work! I trapped beavers a lot with my dad when I was younger. It’s probably more fun when they aren’t damaging your own trees. The last one or 2 in the colony can be tough to catch. After the rest of their family disappears or they see the others dead in traps I think they wise up significantly. Hope you catch the rest of them.
Big Tracks Matter
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:49 pm

DeadHeadSpread wrote:Nice work! I trapped beavers a lot with my dad when I was younger. It’s probably more fun when they aren’t damaging your own trees. The last one or 2 in the colony can be tough to catch. After the rest of their family disappears or they see the others dead in traps I think they wise up significantly. Hope you catch the rest of them.

Heard from two different neighbors today that there was a big one swimming in the canal this morning. Thinking the other adult. Hope to see him in the morning in the trap. If not think things are going to slow down. That was quite the flurry of activity for two mornings.
American_Regular

Unread postby American_Regular » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:27 pm

:clap: Nice work Lou.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:53 pm

DeadHeadSpread wrote:Nice work! I trapped beavers a lot with my dad when I was younger. It’s probably more fun when they aren’t damaging your own trees. The last one or 2 in the colony can be tough to catch. After the rest of their family disappears or they see the others dead in traps I think they wise up significantly. Hope you catch the rest of them.

I agree beavers can get trap smart quick especially if you catch the adults last. If you can't get the last adult wait till spring and run footholds on a drowning set
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:08 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:

I agree beavers can get trap smart quick especially if you catch the adults last. If you can't get the last adult wait till spring and run footholds on a drowning set

x2!! :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Solo7

Unread postby Solo7 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:44 pm

They can tear stuff up quick!
I found this on some public this year. I’ve never seen them get after pine trees, any one else seen that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:02 am

I’m curious as to what are some ways to cook beaver. Also in preparation to cook. Glands and such

• Advertisement

Return to “Trapping”