upwind access

• Advertisement

HB Store

Billy Z
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bill.zbrozek

upwind access

Unread postby Billy Z » Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:48 pm

How far away would you consider safe to access the location you want to hunt?
The trail I intend on using for access is 300 yards north of the run that the deer are using heavily. I plan to circle around to hunt the south side of the run. I am concerned that they will pick up on my access with a North or North west wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

backstraps

Re: upwind access

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:12 pm

300 Yards is nothing for a deer to smell you. Especially late season without foliage.

I know there is probably a reason....but rather than parking and walking down the road, could you not park farther SW down the road, closer to where you are making your entrance to the woods? Even at that entrance you would need to be concerned with a westerly wind
BarefootDave

Unread postby BarefootDave » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:04 am

That doesn't seem to be the best access if you're blowing out 3 sides of your hunt
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:17 am

I agree with backstraps; 300 yards is nothing and they WILL smell you at that distance with an unfavorable wind.

So...LET them smell you.
But walk down the road with a radio app playing on your phone to mimic a couple out walking their dog, or some hikers talking to one another.
As long as you don't catch them off guard and they can keep tabs on your direction of travel they'll pay little attention to you as they figure out that you're walking past them.

Then when you get far enough South, turn the volume down slowly, and eventually off.
Then begin a stealthy J-hook stalk to your stand with a favorable wind situation.

While I also agree with Barefoot Dave that it's not an ideal access situation, it may be your only option short of waiting for an East wind- which may not happen before your season ends.
BarefootDave

Unread postby BarefootDave » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:28 am

KRONIIK wrote:I agree with backstraps; 300 yards is nothing and they WILL smell you at that distance with an unfavorable wind.

So...LET them smell you.
But walk down the road with a radio app playing on your phone to mimic a couple out walking their dog, or some hikers talking to one another.
As long as you don't catch them off guard and they can keep tabs on your direction of travel they'll pay little attention to you as they figure out that you're walking past them.

Then when you get far enough South, turn the volume down slowly, and eventually off.
Then begin a stealthy J-hook stalk to your stand with a favorable wind situation.

While I also agree with Barefoot Dave that it's not an ideal access situation, it may be your only option short of waiting for an East wind- which may not happen before your season ends.

That's a great idea
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:24 am

BarefootDave wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:I agree with backstraps; 300 yards is nothing and they WILL smell you at that distance with an unfavorable wind.

So...LET them smell you.

That's a great idea

Now, whether it will WORK is another matter entirely. :lol:
But I have had a lot of success employing that general concept in a variety of different scenarios.
It seems to work better in areas where deer frequently encounter humans than it does in remote wilderness where they don't.

Basically let them know you're there, but fool them into thinking that you're something other than a hunter or predator.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”