Who’s already fired the weatherman?!

• Advertisement

HB Store

Danny1977
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/danny.mannywithabigfatfanny/

Who’s already fired the weatherman?!

Unread postby Danny1977 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:57 am

Anyone else looking to capture the weather man(or woman) and give him a giant noogie?! He’s never correct(when I’m hunting)

Getting to the point where I just rely on thermals(hill hunter here) and what the wind is doing on your way in.

What’s everyone’s take on this? Do you look at the weather apps to put your “prevailing winds” in conjunction with the thermals?

Help a lost brother out!

Peace cheese and arrows fly with no grease!

https://www.facebook.com/729840151/post ... 591485152/

Spent all of my money on archery and hunting gear.....the rest I just wasted
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Who’s already fired the weatherman?!

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:02 pm

It seems that the more tools that the weather guessers have the less accurate they get.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 am

I'm hunting the hills here also and started taking notes of predicated wind versus what I actually saw for each area I hunt. Hoping to see a pattern that can be used in future years.

I think when you are talking about hunting hills that wind is deflecting off stuff, following draws, etc. making it hard to use a forecast that was based on standing in an open field. I have been going into an area and setting up based on the wind I find when I get there.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:44 am

Hills generally mean the weather man might not be wrong on the wind direction but the terrain might dictate more what is happening where you are setup, you have to know what the wind is going to do where you hunt and how different winds might play out in those areas.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 am

FWIW:

One thing that got me regarding wind direction is that the weather guessers use true north as the basis of their wind direction predictions so their guesstimates will always be off by the declination in you area. In my case, as I live in the Northeast, that is -14 degrees. For those of you in the central US it isn’t as much of an issue.

Bob

To determine your declination:
http://www.magnetic-declination.com/

A detailed video on declination if you are interested:

https://youtu.be/peu7uMp0cVU
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jetblast

Unread postby Jetblast » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 am

Senators and Congressmen as well as weathermen are only jobs you can have and be wrong more than 50% of the time and keep your job.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:58 am

It's a great job. You can be wrong 50% of the time and still get a really nice paycheck. I should have went that route. LOL.
Little Joe

Unread postby Little Joe » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:It's a great job. You can be wrong 50% of the time and still get a really nice paycheck. I should have went that route. LOL.

I believe a lot of people would follow that path. Lol. So many variables. Looking at the future weather is nothing more than a prediction. The only thing I see them getting right is major events, 100% that something is happening right then and there. Such as a hurricane, tornado etc. Yet where the storm is going to land is still a prediction. I don’t like weather being sensationalized.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:37 am

mine was way off the other evening too, i try not to get frustrated because i am really just happy to be in the stand, but after a 2.5 hr 2 mile walk because of how thick it is wasnt in my happiest mind frame. once i made a little adjustment the wind was off enough once i got up in the tree. Saw 3 hogs no deer that evening.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”