Using a creek bed?

• Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Using a creek bed?

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 pm

I am just learning about thermals and not to clear on understanding them... but my question is if water pulls thermals to it... should I access while walking a creek bed? And could I sit in the creek for a stand site? I was thinking it should hold my sent and pull my thermal plus the creek beds are lower then land so it be like a dug pit blind and all you see is my head? Anyone ever try this? Any help is appreciated

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Using a creek bed?

Unread postby freezeAR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:54 am

Understanding why in certain circumstances water pulls your scent will help predict how thermals will work in different scerios. Water does not always pull your scent to it. It takes water longer to change temperature than it does for forest floor. So when sun goes down forest floor changes temperature or cools off quick relative to water. Due to air above water, in this example, being warmer than air above ground it raises which pulls in cooler air creating the thermal pull. Many factors effect how theemals work. Someone has posted that they are hard to explain even for qualified professionals that are a lot more educated than myself. The key is to use milkweed and let it teach you.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:45 am

Creek beds and ditches can work well for access for the already mentioned reasons. Many times your scent settles at the lowest point, and creek beds many times are. They also offer physical concealment like you stated, by keeping most of your movement below the sight line of deer up out of the creek.

I killed two bucks in Kansas walking a creek to and from my stand. It was in a deep cut with about 1 foot of water at the deepest spots. It offered sight concealment below the horizon, sound concealment (water was quieter than walking on dry leaves), and scent containment (low points and few deer would cross my path). It worked really well.

As with everything, not all creeks, creek beds, and ditches are created equal, but they can be useful entry/exit routes if you find one that you can make work. Best of luck.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:00 pm

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it! I guess the only thing I can do is to try it and put a plan into action! Just trying to game plan for next season!

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”