Specific Marsh buck bed setup suggestions. Newbie.

• Advertisement

HB Store

Mudcrawler

Specific Marsh buck bed setup suggestions. Newbie.

Unread postby Mudcrawler » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:57 pm

Screenshot_20201005-122656~3.png
Looking for advice in anyway I can get! What you see here is a public land piece I am pretty familiar with, I have recently found a spot that seems overlooked. The blue spot is where one would normally park. The red dots are buck beds around a point of dogwood into the marsh. They have a decent amount of rubs in and around them. Between the parking and bedding it's fairly thick and it takes some work pushing and crawling through to get to the beds on this point. I only found this because I had been scouting the marsh and more specifically the hardwood point sticking out into the middle from the South East corner which you can see on the map. No surprise, there was already two tree stands on opposite sides of that hardwood finger. I did find more beds walking the transition which I have marked with purple dots. I'm thinking those are for beds. They seemed small and there was a lot of them, though I could be wrong. I'm fairly new to this. In my picture you can clearly see the deer trails through the marsh to and from the beds (red dots). I should note that there is a walking trail that runs from the parking towards the WNW and hits the train tracks. Which run North and South. I figured that's how I would access to hook way around. I would like some input about what you guys think on setups. Morning or afternoon? Wind direction? There's a compass on the map (top of the map is due north). Do bucks always bed on these points with a certain wind? The hardwood finger has oaks and beech, do you think I should try to get in between the beds and the hardwood finger the other guys are hunting, but then I am worried about the other beds I found. I don't know if there will be deer there and I wouldn't want to alarm any deer in that area while targeting this primary area of buck beds. Please feel free to ask any questions if anymore info is needed

Mudcrawler

Re: Specific Marsh buck bed setup suggestions. Newbie.

Unread postby Mudcrawler » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:10 am

Screenshot_20201005-122656~4.png
Mudcrawler wrote:Screenshot_20201005-122656~3.pngLooking for advice in anyway I can get! What you see here is a public land piece I am pretty familiar with, I have recently found a spot that seems overlooked. The blue spot is where one would normally park. The red dots are buck beds around a point of dogwood into the marsh. They have a decent amount of rubs in and around them. Between the parking and bedding it's fairly thick and it takes some work pushing and crawling through to get to the beds on this point. I only found this because I had been scouting the marsh and more specifically the hardwood point sticking out into the middle from the South East corner which you can see on the map. No surprise, there was already two tree stands on opposite sides of that hardwood finger. I did find more beds walking the transition which I have marked with purple dots. I'm thinking those are for beds. They seemed small and there was a lot of them, though I could be wrong. I'm fairly new to this. In my picture you can clearly see the deer trails through the marsh to and from the beds (red dots). I should note that there is a walking trail that runs from the parking towards the WNW and hits the train tracks. Which run North and South. I figured that's how I would access to hook way around. I would like some input about what you guys think on setups. Morning or afternoon? Wind direction? There's a compass on the map (top of the map is due north). Do bucks always bed on these points with a certain wind? The hardwood finger has oaks and beech, do you think I should try to get in between the beds and the hardwood finger the other guys are hunting, but then I am worried about the other beds I found. I don't know if there will be deer there and I wouldn't want to alarm any deer in that area while targeting this primary area of buck beds. Please feel free to ask any questions if anymore info is needed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:33 am

That is a tough scenario honestly. They likely move into the other bedding and stage in there(just a guess). If you could climb a tree near the walking trail and observe(or better yet shoot to) the trailS between bedding is probably your best bet. But likely it’s too thick.

Also that is a pretty specific Looking spot I would be worried someone will recognize it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Mudcrawler

Unread postby Mudcrawler » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:20 am

PK_ wrote:That is a tough scenario honestly. They likely move into the other bedding and stage in there(just a guess). If you could climb a tree near the walking trail and observe(or better yet shoot to) the trailS between bedding is probably your best bet. But likely it’s too thick.

Also that is a pretty specific Looking spot I would be worried someone will recognize it.

Thanks for the input. I never thought about that second bedding area being some sort of staging. It would make sense. I was considering doing an observation sit. That might just be what I need to give me all my answers.

• Advertisement

Return to “Extreme Whitetail Tactics”