Quick tip for getting brains out for Euro mount

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

R. Nelson SoDak
Facebook: Don't have Facebook

Quick tip for getting brains out for Euro mount

Unread postby R. Nelson SoDak » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:57 am

Few people have asked me how I get the brains out of the heads I euro mount. Not sure if I should be hesitant to share with local people, but I'm gonna put it on here. I've tried clothes hangers, long screw drivers, drilling out the back of the head or grinding the hole bigger, tried wire, tried copper grounding wire... nothing really works good.

This year I tore off the chunk of plastic on a 5 gal bucket and low and behold, them really stiff metal handles have a hook already bent into them behind the plastic of the bucket. Cut the handle in two, bend the metal straight and there's pretty much the perfect hook.

The metal is really hard so it doesn't bend on you. Put it in your drill, hold the head upside down and start reaming. Use gravity and work the hook back and forth as you run the drill, brain will start pouring out.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

-Nelson

The Medium Sized Buck Serial Killer
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: Quick tip for getting brains out for Euro mount

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:23 am

You can just shoot the pressure washer in there and they come right out..or even a hose with small hose attached to nozzle works great too.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:59 am

I can see how that stiff bucket handle would make a great hook to snag out pieces

I’m like Eddie though, after an hour or so of boiling a .25 bit on a pressure washer clears all the tiny crevices out. Wouldn’t wear my Sunday best clothing during this process though :lol:
R. Nelson SoDak

Unread postby R. Nelson SoDak » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:16 am

I hear ya guys, I've done that with most my heads but started trying to clean it out quick to cut down boiling time. Same with the eyes, I started pulling them out before boiling.
R. Nelson SoDak

Unread postby R. Nelson SoDak » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:16 am

20231206_074444.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:43 am

I get box cutters from work for free so I have plenty of them and blades. I start cutting hide using and upward motion at base of neck. run blade straight down the middle of his face through his nose. Then I use a sawzall and cut of a few inches of the skull and ear drums. Then once it’s opened up I boil outside for 3-4 hours on propane burner with 2 dishwashing detergent pods. works way better and doesn’t foam like dawn.

remove flesh and eyes. I don’t have a pressure washer or I’d use it too.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
R. Nelson SoDak

Unread postby R. Nelson SoDak » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:18 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I get box cutters from work for free so I have plenty of them and blades. I start cutting hide using and upward motion at base of neck. run blade straight down the middle of his face through his nose. Then I use a sawzall and cut of a few inches of the skull and ear drums. Then once it’s opened up I boil outside for 3-4 hours on propane burner with 2 dishwashing detergent pods. works way better and doesn’t foam like dawn.

Holy cow, don't 3 to 4 hours loosen teeth and cartilage? Most I've ever done is 1.5.hours going back and forth between simmer and boil
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:25 am

R. Nelson SoDak wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:I get box cutters from work for free so I have plenty of them and blades. I start cutting hide using and upward motion at base of neck. run blade straight down the middle of his face through his nose. Then I use a sawzall and cut of a few inches of the skull and ear drums. Then once it’s opened up I boil outside for 3-4 hours on propane burner with 2 dishwashing detergent pods. works way better and doesn’t foam like dawn.

Holy cow, don't 3 to 4 hours loosen teeth and cartilage? Most I've ever done is 1.5.hours going back and forth between simmer and boil

teeth are all still tight.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:26 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
R. Nelson SoDak wrote:

I bring it to a rolling boil then turn it down to medium or it would boil over.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:38 am

Jam the tip of the pressure washer straight into the hole. You can get nearly all but the liner to come out like that. It shouldn’t splatter all over you either (as long as you hold it in there). Then I use a small pair of needle nose to pull the brain lining out. Easy and not very messy at all.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:17 pm

Good idea on the dishwasher tabs
I use dawn and a scoop of oxy clean. It foams up pretty bad at first when I strike a boil, the settles under simmer

I watched several YouTube videos on diy deer hide tanning. Couple seemed pretty simple once the hide is fleshed
R. Nelson SoDak

Unread postby R. Nelson SoDak » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:22 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote:
R. Nelson SoDak wrote:

I bring it to a rolling boil then turn it down to medium or it would boil over.

Me too, like barely boiling for 1.5 hours is pretty good
R. Nelson SoDak

Unread postby R. Nelson SoDak » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:25 am

backstraps wrote:Good idea on the dishwasher tabs
I use dawn and a scoop of oxy clean. It foams up pretty bad at first when I strike a boil, the settles under simmer

I watched several YouTube videos on diy deer hide tanning. Couple seemed pretty simple once the hide is fleshed

It is really easy. Have t had the time to get back to you in that message, there's one simple video I followed and they've all turned out good. I tried oxi clean one time on a doe head luckily and it ate out all the cartilage between bone, I had to epoxy the head back together. About everything was loose lol. I'll never use oxi clean again. Was probably aistake tho on my end. Maybe I used too much or something

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”