The Waiting game

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

llcooljames

The Waiting game

Unread postby llcooljames » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 am

Anyone else anxiously waiting for last years mount? My taxi said end of June or July. It will be my first shoulder mount, so Im pretty excited about it.

fireforeffect

Re: The Waiting game

Unread postby fireforeffect » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 am

ME!!!!! I'm thinking about calling my taxidermist for an update. He told me the end of Summer, but maybe he got ahead?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:39 am

I haven’t even got my euro back yet :?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:37 am

You guys need to find a taxidermist that tans capes in house. That really cuts down turnaround time. Longest I ever waited for a shoulder mount is 2 1/2 months. Considering my taxidermist does over 200 shoulder mounts per year I think that’s pretty darn good. Always cool getting them back when the hunt is still very fresh in your mind.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 am

Lockdown wrote:I haven’t even got my euro back yet :?

Same here...getting slightly annoyed lol, should have just done it myself. Back to the original post tho..I wouldn’t call for updates or anything unless it’s been a gross amount of time
llcooljames

Unread postby llcooljames » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:02 am

Dewey wrote:You guys need to find a taxidermist that tans capes in house. That really cuts down turnaround time. Longest I ever waited for a shoulder mount is 2 1/2 months. Considering my taxidermist does over 200 shoulder mounts per year I think that’s pretty darn good. Always cool getting them back when the hunt is still very fresh in your mind.

My dad's cousin is the taxi, He gave me a deal so I expected it to take a little longer.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:34 am

jmaas07 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I haven’t even got my euro back yet :?

Same here...getting slightly annoyed lol, should have just done it myself. Back to the original post tho..I wouldn’t call for updates or anything unless it’s been a gross amount of time

I agree, if its inside the ETA it's just gonna annoy them. But those aren't bad times. The guys around here are usually about a year
Make It Happen
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 am

You guys just have to start shooting them earlier in the season :lol:
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:43 am

I'm anxious to see them and anxious to pay for them :scared-eek:

I think from now on, unless it's a really memorable hunt or a giant buck, it's getting a euro mount. Ive said that before though, and I have a hard time not preserving the memory with a mount.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:16 am

Still waiting on mine as well. Harvested nov 9th. Typical turnaround from a quality taxidermist is 8-12 months for whitetail shoulder mounts. ;)
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 am

Dewey wrote:You guys need to find a taxidermist that tans capes in house. That really cuts down turnaround time..

Agreed, in a way. I love my guy and he refuses to tan in house due to the smell, the mess, and having to deal with all the carcinogens from the tanning process. He did say that if I wanted to retire early become a quality tanner, could make some big bank if you can avoid cancer!

I just dropped my bucks off with my guy 2 weeks ago, but I do that in purpose, he cuts me a deal if I wait until last with no rush. Dont know where to hang them anyway at this point.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am

RidgeGhost wrote:I'm anxious to see them and anxious to pay for them :scared-eek:

I think from now on, unless it's a really memorable hunt or a giant buck, it's getting a euro mount. Ive said that before though, and I have a hard time not preserving the memory with a mount.

I’d hate to see what your taxi bill is. You mount all three?

I hear ya on preserving the memory. A shoulder mount is way more impressive than euro. I wish I would have mounted my mulies... might try and do one myself to save some cash. Finding a cape is the problem.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:29 am

Lockdown wrote:
RidgeGhost wrote:I'm anxious to see them and anxious to pay for them :scared-eek:

I hear ya on preserving the memory. A shoulder mount is way more impressive than euro. I wish I would have mounted my mulies... might try and do one myself to save some cash. Finding a cape is the problem.

Yea, all three. I tried to choose only one....OK I'll do two....ehh better do all three. Including those, in the last four years I've mounted 7.... :doh:
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:00 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Yea, all three. I tried to choose only one....OK I'll do two....ehh better do all three. Including those, in the last four years I've mounted 7.... :doh:

Well you did double it off last year alone :think:

My first one should be done within the next couple months I figure. I used the cape off my second buck for the shoulder mount and just euro’d the second one. Got it done back in February with a cedar plaque display.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:31 pm

I generally don't mind the wait. Mainly cause I got one back once a week after I dropped it off. Sucker was still bleeding and looked like garbage. A taxi hurting for money pushing out product ain't ever good.

Had a pretty sweet deal going once, knew a guy who owned a bbq joint in town who wanted a head for decor. Said he would pay for it if I let him use it for a year. Then every year I would get him a new one. Got 3 freebees out of the deal b4 the place burned down. Good man, he saved my head from the fire cause he thought I would get p/o
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”