Is it worth it?

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Randon
Facebook: N/A

Is it worth it?

Unread postby Randon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:41 pm

I currently work full time as a firefighter/paramedic and part time as a paramedic on an ambulance and have been involved with emergency services for just over ten years. I love what I do, but it would be nice to have a secondary job that has nothing to do with healthcare or emergency services and is something that I'm not gone from my place on my days off so I thought about taxidermy. My question to those involved in taxidermy is that is it something that is worth getting into to eventually use as a secondary means of income? (Im not expecting to get rich off of it, but a small amount of income would be great.) I would have plenty of time to do it, but I want to make sure it would be a good choice before I invest time and money into learning a new trade. Thanks!

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Is it worth it?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Even though I don't do taxidermy I have looked into it in the past & watched several videos on doing it (deer heads) so I know about what materials cost. Considering my taxidermist raised his prices again this year ($500 because he is in demand) & may still be a little on the cheap side I would say it pays well. Most around here are probably making $30-$40 an hour (takes about 13 hours for most to do a head).
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Following.

I’ve thought about getting into it as well, just to do my own. I just don’t have the time right now :violin:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1281

Almost 10 years old, but has some good information.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1281

Almost 10 years old, but has some good information.

I still remember that post! I brought it up to a taxidermist friend of mine who thought those costs were excessive, but I guess it depends on how you choose to do it. One guy I know makes his own forms for most animals & uses inexpensive forms for deer heads that he customizes to specific heads. He is the best taxidermist I know.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:04 pm

It's an art form. To make money, you need to be good. It can turn into a lot of work and money if you are really good. Making your own hours is nice too.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am

Biggest problem I see. Is most of the really good taxidermists. Have very little time to hunt their self. Always gotta be in the shop in the fall for all of the new mounts coming in!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am

stash59 wrote:Biggest problem I see. Is most of the really good taxidermists. Have very little time to hunt their self. Always gotta be in the shop in the fall for all of the new mounts coming in!!!

Exactly! The taxi that I use is big into hunting mulies in CO and elk there too. That might be your best bet to get some hunting in during sept and early October before the majority of the whitetails start pouring in. Also wouldn’t want to be a game warden for similar reasons.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:43 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:
stash59 wrote:Biggest problem I see. Is most of the really good taxidermists. Have very little time to hunt their self. Always gotta be in the shop in the fall for all of the new mounts coming in!!!

Exactly! The taxi that I use is big into hunting mulies in CO and elk there too. That might be your best bet to get some hunting in during sept and early October before the majority of the whitetails start pouring in. Also wouldn’t want to be a game warden for similar reasons.

Just imagine what it's like for the taxis that live out west. Full bore August to February.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Randon

Unread postby Randon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:13 am

That's definitely something I'll have to work out. I enjoy hunting too much to cut down on how much I get to go.
Weaver.b

Unread postby Weaver.b » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 am

You could start out small only doing European mounts to see how you like it. I know a guy that charges 100bucks to do them and he stays plenty busy. He does a very good job and has a 2 or 3 day turn around. This would get your feet wet, build a customer base, and provide extra money to invest towards equipment to get into shoulder mounts. The guy I know does shoulder mounts too and the quick turn around and quality keep people coming back.

I mounted a deer with him because I thought about getting into it. He was cool about training me to do everything right but that kind of work is just not up my alley. Have to have an artistic touch and meticulous nature.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
Randon

Unread postby Randon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Weaver.b wrote:You could start out small only doing European mounts to see how you like it. I know a guy that charges 100bucks to do them and he stays plenty busy. He does a very good job and has a 2 or 3 day turn around. This would get your feet wet, build a customer base, and provide extra money to invest towards equipment to get into shoulder mounts. The guy I know does shoulder mounts too and the quick turn around and quality keep people coming back.

I mounted a deer with him because I thought about getting into it. He was cool about training me to do everything right but that kind of work is just not up my alley. Have to have an artistic touch and meticulous nature.

That's a good way to start out. Do that and do my own shoulder mounts until I get good enough at it to justify charging someone.
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:27 am

I have a full colony of Dermestid beetles for European mounts. I have the cage, extra bedding and pupating materials and two heat lamps.

Free to a good home. Bugs and all.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:05 am

Randon wrote:I currently work full time as a firefighter/paramedic and part time as a paramedic on an ambulance and have been involved with emergency services for just over ten years. I love what I do, but it would be nice to have a secondary job that has nothing to do with healthcare or emergency services and is something that I'm not gone from my place on my days off so I thought about taxidermy. My question to those involved in taxidermy is that is it something that is worth getting into to eventually use as a secondary means of income? (Im not expecting to get rich off of it, but a small amount of income would be great.) I would have plenty of time to do it, but I want to make sure it would be a good choice before I invest time and money into learning a new trade. Thanks!

For extra money I officiated hockey games. Did it for almost 20 years. Made some good money and stayed part of the game I grew up playing. Officiating has lots of opportunities from little league to high school level. Football, basketball, soccer. Make your own schedule.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:43 am

LukeTM wrote:I have a full colony of Dermestid beetles for European mounts. I have the cage, extra bedding and pupating materials and two heat lamps.

Free to a good home. Bugs and all.

Does it get to be too much if you're trying to do your own Euros? As far as keeping the beetles fed? Or would it be better to go a different route? Like the boiling method? I don't have the burner or pressure washer either so trying to compare. Also I guess I should consider to pay to do it. Do you have any advise on your experience?

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”