Deer hide hair on tanning

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Mediocre Hunter

Deer hide hair on tanning

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:48 am

Hey guys, looking to tan my deer hide hair on. I have no experience whatsoever and no tools or supplies for it. Talked to a taxidermist and he said it would be 150 to flesh and tan. Is it worth it for me to buy the stuff and try it? I know it would be cheaper in the long run but I don't want to ruin this hide since it's my first deer. Is there a huge probability of me running it or would it be somewhat easy to do?

jcraig0313

Re: Deer hide hair on tanning

Unread postby jcraig0313 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:00 am

It's not too complex from my experience. I did one a couple years ago with minimal supplies and it turned out fine. The most expensive part was buying salt and some tanning formula ~$20. Just be prepared to invest some time. Fleshing the hide is time consuming if you don't have a drawknife. Good luck!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:25 am

jcraig0313 wrote:It's not too complex from my experience. I did one a couple years ago with minimal supplies and it turned out fine. The most expensive part was buying salt and some tanning formula ~$20. Just be prepared to invest some time. Fleshing the hide is time consuming if you don't have a drawknife. Good luck!

That's not bad at all. Thanks!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:17 pm

For sure not a project you want to try and rush. Fleshing the hide isnt hard, but if you try and rush you can cut you hide with the draw knife.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 pm

You can do a "brain tan" with eggs! A link:

https://braintan.com/

Lotta elbow grease involved!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 pm

backstraps wrote:For sure not a project you want to try and rush. Fleshing the hide isnt hard, but if you try and rush you can cut you hide with the draw knife.

That's the part that worries me. I heard that once you cut a certain layer of the skin the hair won't stay. I just rolled it up and put it in the freezer for now till I get some time to figure it out. Question, so when you start fleshing you have to keep at it till you're done right, so as not to freeze thaw freeze. Typically how long does it take to flesh it? I'm sure with experience it wouldn't take nearly as long as the first time. Lol
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:54 pm

stash59 wrote:You can do a "brain tan" with eggs! A link:

https://braintan.com/

Lotta elbow grease involved!!

Great site, thank you for that. It explains several things simply and easy. Have you ever brain tanned one? Is the egg version end product as soft?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:55 pm

My health has kept me from tackling it just yet. I've watched alot of videos on it and there seems to be no difference. "Brain tanning" is just using an emulsified oil. Putting that in the hide helps break it down and keep it from spoiling. The "elbow grease", working/stretching the hide, as it dries, is what really softens it. And smoking the hide after drying and stretching is what keeps it soft after getting it wet. Although it may help to rework it abit to keep it real soft.

I bought both the book and the DVD named, "Deer skins into Buckskins", and think they are well worth the price!!! I'm really wanting to do this.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 am

stash59 wrote:My health has kept me from tackling it just yet. I've watched alot of videos on it and there seems to be no difference. "Brain tanning" is just using an emulsified oil. Putting that in the hide helps break it down and keep it from spoiling. The "elbow grease", working/stretching the hide, as it dries, is what really softens it. And smoking the hide after drying and stretching is what keeps it soft after getting it wet. Although it may help to rework it abit to keep it real soft.

I bought both the book and the DVD named, "Deer skins into Buckskins", and think they are well worth the price!!! I'm really wanting to do this.

There's just something about doing things oneself when possible that give that sense of accomplishment and self satisfaction. Although not always possible, I try to do what I can. I'll look into the book and DVD.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”