Bobcat Suggestions

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The Mediocre Hunter

Bobcat Suggestions

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 am

Hey guys quick question. First, I don't want to get it mounted as I've rarely seen any bobcats look normal. But I do I have a question as to skinning it. What is the purpose of basically taking off the pelt like a sweater? With no insiccion down the belly? Is there a benefit to leaving it like that vs doing like a rug?

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Bobcat Suggestions

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:39 am

Trappers do it like that because it's how the buyers want it.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Trappers do it like that because it's how the buyers want it.

Gotcha. But it's there any advantage to that vs rug cut?
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:10 pm

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:Trappers do it like that because it's how the buyers want it.

Not sure what you mean by advantage. You can skin it any way you want as long as your not planning on trying to sell it on the fur market.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:

Not sure what you mean by advantage. You can skin it any way you want as long as your not planning on trying to sell it on the fur market.

I just meant about usability. Like if you skin it with slit on stomach you can make a rug or small throw thing but what can you use the sweater skinned version for? I'm sorry I'm not better at describing what I mean. Lol
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:47 pm

My buddy got one mounted, I think it's one of the coolest mounts I have ever seen.

Screenshot_20191221-224555_Photos.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:50 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:

I just meant about usability. Like if you skin it with slit on stomach you can make a rug or small throw thing but what can you use the sweater skinned version for? I'm sorry I'm not better at describing what I mean. Lol

What you are referring to is case skinning. That is just the way the animal is skinned, fleshed, and boarded to dry. Then is sold in that form. After that they are cut up by the manufacture in what ever shape the want to make a garment or trim. If you want to make a rug, skin it any way you need it for your purpose.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:07 am

seazofcheeze wrote:My buddy got one mounted, I think it's one of the coolest mounts I have ever seen.

Screenshot_20191221-224555_Photos.jpg

Yes that's pretty cool. Have also seen one where he's swatting at a pheasant in the air. Pretty cool.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:08 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:

What you are referring to is case skinning. That is just the way the animal is skinned, fleshed, and boarded to dry. Then is sold in that form. After that they are cut up by the manufacture in what ever shape the want to make a garment or trim. If you want to make a rug, skin it any way you need it for your purpose.

That makes alot more sense. Thank you for explaining it.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 am

There are good cat guys out there (taxidermist) you just have to seek them out and pay. Bobcats make excellent mounts and will be an audience focus point in a lot of trophy rooms if done correctly. They can also be a focal point if done poorly but for different reasons.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:36 am

DaveT1963 wrote:There are good cat guys out there (taxidermist) you just have to seek them out and pay. Bobcats make excellent mounts and will be an audience focus point in a lot of trophy rooms if done correctly. They can also be a focal point if done poorly but for different reasons.

Found a guy that I am trying at the moment. He's win taxidermy awards over the years so we'll see how it pans out. He's going to do a rug with the head attached, couldn't convince the wife to let me do a full body mount. I'll post a pic whenever it is I get it back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”