Mounts/forms with a hard turn

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Mounts/forms with a hard turn

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:10 am

I have spent hours searching and its really hard to find good pics.

I think it is between a wall pedestal or a semi sneak sweep but I just don’t know.

Please if you have a mount done or know of a pose with a hard turn I would love to see it. Especially a straight on from the wall view.

Also this is a FL deer and probably weighed in the 175lbs range live. His cape is similar to an early season deer for other states, so I am hoping a lot of detail will show thru.

I am really wanting to view the head at an angle similar to this from straight out from wall:

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Mounts/forms with a hard turn

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:13 am

I mounted several grooming bucks over the years - that's about as hard a turn as you can get. Are you looking for a specific pose or just a hard turn? Any taxidermist with a little skill can alter any form and add or decrease the amount of turn.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:33 am

I have 3 with harder than normal turns. One is a wall ped and the other two just have more sweep in the head. LilJohn had a nose lowering aspect as well, that really makes him stick out.

20200225_103018.jpg
20200225_102943.jpg
20200225_103002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:08 am

muddy wrote:I have 3 with harder than normal turns. One is a wall ped and the other two just have more sweep in the head. LilJohn had a nose lowering aspect as well, that really makes him stick out.

20200225_103018.jpg20200225_102943.jpg20200225_103002.jpg

Thanks man.

Is the middle one the wall ped? One thing I noticed is the rear side of some of the wall peds are very visible and I’m not sure how I feel about it and why they can’t sit more ‘flush’ against the wall...

But all 3 of those look real good. When you say ‘harder than normal’ does that mean the forms were altered?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:16 am

To clarify - a wall pedestal by design has some of the rear of mount showing.

I think what you are looking for is a standard wall mount with a shaper turn on the neck. There are some upright and semi sneak forms that have more/less turn. But like I said above, any taxidermist with experience, can alter the turn to give you more turn - that's about as simple of a form alteration as it gets. I would pick out a few local taxidermist with good reputation and go visit them and tell them what you are looking for. When I had my business in Montana I would say 70% of my wall mounts I altered forms for what customers were looking from. All my fish were hand carved forms.

heres a pic of an altered form with some turn and head tilt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:24 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I mounted several grooming bucks over the years - that's about as hard a turn as you can get. Are you looking for a specific pose or just a hard turn? Any taxidermist with a little skill can alter any form and add or decrease the amount of turn.

That is good to know. I don’t have a specific pose in mind other than I really like how ‘some’ of the wall pedestal mounts look and I like a lot of the semi sneaks.

One reason I was leaning towards a pedestal is because the deer has a beautiful thin haired reddish coat and I thought it might be displayed a bit more on a pedestal but I really don’t know if that’s true or not.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:24 am

PK_ wrote:
muddy wrote:I have 3 with harder than normal turns. One is a wall ped and the other two just have more sweep in the head. LilJohn had a nose lowering aspect as well, that really makes him stick out.

20200225_103018.jpg20200225_102943.jpg20200225_103002.jpg

Thanks man.

Is the middle one the wall ped? One thing I noticed is the rear side of some of the wall peds are very visible and I’m not sure how I feel about it and why they can’t sit more ‘flush’ against the wall...

But all 3 of those look real good. When you say ‘harder than normal’ does that mean the forms were altered?

Yeah the middle one with the cluster brows is a wall pad, but I did get one with a harder turn than anything else I could see in magazines at that time (2009). I dont like wall peds, they are not as stable on the wall (in my experience) and I always make sure the taxi gets the hanger set correctly. Even then I have 1 that needs an extra hanger as it's wonky on the wall. The one in the middle you can't see the back as easily. My other one you can but the taxi put a custom texture on it and it looks really nice. He also has put gravel, wood chips, sand, etc to make the part of the form showing look unique.

That being said any taxi worth a used jawbreaker can make a head turn alteration with very little work.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:27 am

PK_ wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I mounted several grooming bucks over the years - that's about as hard a turn as you can get. Are you looking for a specific pose or just a hard turn? Any taxidermist with a little skill can alter any form and add or decrease the amount of turn.

That is good to know. I don’t have a specific pose in mind other than I really like how ‘some’ of the wall pedestal mounts look and I like a lot of the semi sneaks.

One reason I was leaning towards a pedestal is because the deer has a beautiful thin haired reddish coat and I thought it might be displayed a bit more on a pedestal but I really don’t know if that’s true or not.

Of all my deer mounts I think my full sneaks show the most amount of hide. On the flip side all my full sneaks are my largest deer so they had more hide to give and unfortunately they were all the most beat up and ugliest mounts!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:30 am

PK_ wrote:

A pedestal is more of a table or stand mount concept. Let me see if i can find a pic of a velvet buck I did that had that short red summer hair on a full pedestal
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 am

Heres a pic of a full pedestal
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:32 am

Mckenzie 6900 if I remember correctly. Takes up a lot of wall space but looks amazing. One of my favorite mounts.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 pm

muddy wrote:
PK_ wrote:

Of all my deer mounts I think my full sneaks show the most amount of hide. On the flip side all my full sneaks are my largest deer so they had more hide to give and unfortunately they were all the most beat up and ugliest mounts!

Thanks for this feedback. I just realized my 2018 buck (which I haven’t received back yet :doh: ) is a semi sneak. So I think I am going to choose between the wall ped and this extreme sneak 9500 that bigburner used for his velvet buck...the pic from the site looks like it has a very pronounced head turn...

Hope bigb doesn’t mind me reposting his buck :P

Bigburner wrote:

[/quote]

Last edited by PK_ on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:35 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Heres a pic of a full pedestal

That is eye candy. I wish I had room for a true pedestal in my house :lol:

Bowhuntercoop wrote:Image

Mckenzie 6900 if I remember correctly. Takes up a lot of wall space but looks amazing. One of my favorite mounts.

Thanks for the pics man that looks fantastic!

if I do the wall ped I think it is between that one and the joe Coombs 9700:

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:59 pm

I like that extreme sneak. Will use it at some point. Maybe if I ever bow kill a booner.

That 9700 Coombs form is what the middle pic up above is. It hangs really nice and neat.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:12 pm

This is that Coombs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”