How to handle this “issue”

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

How to handle this “issue”

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:11 pm

I shot my first pronghorn last Fall. Took it to get mounted and my taxi sends a photo of the hide he just got on the form today. My initial impression was it looked good, but something was just a tic off. Now, I’m not one to tell someone how to do their job, but I also will be living with this mount until I’m dead and gone. You tell me- am I being too picky? I feel like the area around the eyes just aren’t quite as full as they should be. Should I let it slide or say something about it? I am a detail-oriented person, but I’m also very reasonable. What/how should I say it? Maybe it’s just the photo?? Looking for advice ASAP, especially if you’re a taxidermist and how you would handle a customer coming to you with something like this. Is it too late to do/say anything? Again, if I thought I had the ability I would have done myself...I just don’t want to insult the guy but also want to be happy with it for years to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

huntinsonovagun

Re: How to handle this “issue”

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Here are a couple of other reference photos I found online too
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:13 pm

Dang, forgot the attachments
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Dude, Im a euro mount guy. I hate full mounts and I think that looks awesome.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:23 pm

buttonbuck wrote:Dude, Im a euro mount guy. I hate full mounts and I think that looks awesome.

Thanks! I’m incredibly excited to get it home...they are really beautiful and unique animals!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:42 pm

I have never picked up a mount that I felt looked exactly like the deer’s actual face did. I am very detail oriented as well.

I see what you are talking about with the eyes, but only because you pointed it out and overall I think the mount looks fantastic. Really.

Actually after looking at it more I think it’s the actual eyeballs are a touch deep...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:04 pm

PK_ wrote:I have never picked up a mount that I felt looked exactly like the deer’s actual face did. I am very detail oriented as well.

I see what you are talking about with the eyes, but only because you pointed it out and overall I think the mount looks fantastic. Really.

Actually after looking at it more I think it’s the actual eyeballs are a touch deep...

I have felt the same with the deer I have, but never had the cajones to say anything.

I do think the eyes are set a little deep as well, along with the lack of “swelling” around the eyes. I just want to be realistic with my expectations and I’m not sure if I am being realistic or not lucky now.

I’m a full time self-employed handyman (hate the term as I try to produce QUALITY finish work in everything I do and charge a premium to do so) and so I set the expectations for myself at a very high level and not sure how I should set expectations for others. I feel like I am paying a premium price for this mount ($750) as far as the industry is concerned. I’ve had nit picky customers before and I just don’t want to be one. I feel like the “issue” with this mount is a fine line...

I do appreciate the feedback, PK!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Looks pretty darn good to me and I’m real picky about my deer mounts. I’m no expert on pronghorn though.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:24 am

I think it looks awesome but would have never focused on the eyes until you pointed it out. I do agree with others maybe the eyes were set a little deep but overall it’s a great looking mount.
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:34 am

Thanks for the feedback guys! Like I said, I’m a bit of a perfectionist, but I want to be reasonable in walking the fine line of my expectations.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:44 am

A good idea could be to search pronghorn foam mounts. Try to see what the mount actually looks like under the hide. If the eyes are recessed and it looks like it matches up then thats probably just what can be done with the mount. I googled other mounts and looked to be about 50/50 on if the eyes looked deep or puffy. $750 is alot of money though for something you arent completely happy with.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:53 am

yeah he has a bit of a sleepy look. I don't think you are wrong for being bothered by it. Thats one of the big things i notice every time i have stared eye to eye with antelope is how they almost appear to have laser beams shooting out of their eyes locking on to you from hundreds of yards away.

Mount still looks awesome dont get me wrong. And I have no experience dealing with taxidermists. Not sure if there is some kind of agreement you sign beforehand that says how things will be handled if you aren't satisfied with the work.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:01 am

Thanks for the responses guys!
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:30 am

Not a taxidermist here. But, if it is on your mind, say something. Could be as simple as “Mount looks great, thanks for the pictures. Do you think it would be possible to open the eyes up a little bit more?” Simple. Not offensive or insulting. It’s your mount, your money, and your memory. If he says “yes” then you won’t have that thought in the back of your mind when you look at it for years to come. Good luck! Nice lope!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:42 am

I think that's going to be a lot of work for the guy to do what you want. He'd have to build that area up with clay and redo the eyes, all that is done before the hide is on the form. If you were specific about how you wanted the eyes before hand then maybe I'd say something but to ask him to re-do that now when the mount actually looks pretty good would be asking a lot imo. Also, if the taxidermist is located in an area where they're not doing many antelope mounts id cut him some slack on details like that too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”