It's Been a LONG Road

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

It's Been a LONG Road

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:49 am

Well, after getting jerked around by a real scumbag of a human in Montana for 18 months (Nov 2019-May 2021), I got my animals I had out of there and into much more reputable hands.

My 2020 Montana buck is finally done (well, almost).
Screenshot_20220808-124309_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220808-124245_Gallery.jpg

And my 2021 buck is just about wrapped up as well. What a relief to finally have the 2020 buck back, and I'm super excited to hang both on the wall in the near future.

2021 Montana Buck

Screenshot_20220808-124448_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220808-124418_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldrank

Re: It's Been a LONG Road

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:59 am

Looks good. I need that little neck creasing tool..lol
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:39 am

Looks good cheesy! There is a big stink around my area dealing with a taxidermist. Was a big time studio and had thousands of peoples animals as well as deposits. Just disappeared off the face of the earth for over a year. Then was tracked down and told all his clients his freezers went out and he also had a fire. Sorry but I don’t have any animals. Talk about a nightmare! Some of the stuff was world class. As well as once in a lifetime hunts folks saved their entire life to go on. Sad deal.

Did learn a few tips from the debacle. Never give the taxidermist the antlers until he is ready for them. Pick out the form, give him cape, and deposit. Then just tell them you will bring the antlers whenever he is ready to start.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:15 am

Wow that’s a long road. :o

I never waited more than 3 months to get a shoulder mount done. Doing cape tanning in house really cuts the time down. Nice to get them back while the hunt’s still fresh in your mind. Good to see those nice bucks are finally making some progress. 8-)
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:22 am

oldrank wrote:Looks good. I need that little neck creasing tool..lol

I think it's just a small foam roll. Pretty sure he used it to disperse the pressure from pin heads so they wouldn't show up on the short early season cape.

Boogieman1 wrote:Looks good cheesy! There is a big stink around my area dealing with a taxidermist. Was a big time studio and had thousands of peoples animals as well as deposits. Just disappeared off the face of the earth for over a year. Then was tracked down and told all his clients his freezers went out and he also had a fire. Sorry but I don’t have any animals. Talk about a nightmare! Some of the stuff was world class. As well as once in a lifetime hunts folks saved their entire life to go on. Sad deal.

Did learn a few tips from the debacle. Never give the taxidermist the antlers until he is ready for them. Pick out the form, give him cape, and deposit. Then just tell them you will bring the antlers whenever he is ready to start.

Man, that would be brutal. There was a while there, where I didn't think I was going to get two of my capes back. I never did get the one cape back. I got a "substitute" that was likely from a 2 year old for a mature buck rack. When I complained, I got a second larger replacement cape that looked like it had been in the freezer since 2010.

I agree with you. Hold on to the rack until its ready to be put together.

Dewey wrote:Wow that’s a long road. :o

I never waited more than 3 months to get a shoulder mount done. Doing cape tanning in house really cuts the time down. Nice to get them back while the hunt’s still fresh in your mind. Good to see those nice bucks are finally making some progress. 8-)

You better keep that guy happy. Definitely not the norm. Anyone who sends capes out, turnaround time from the big tanneries is 4-7 months. I've got two good guys in Michigan now, so should be much smoother sailing moving forward.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:23 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:47 am

Looking great 8-)
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:55 am

Curious who was the MT dingbat. I had a shop there for 7 years and knew most of the guys in NW/N Central MT. There are some great taxidermists in that area - but as everywhere, some others that are not so much.... Glad you got him back and done - nice buck.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:02 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Curious who was the MT dingbat. I had a shop there for 7 years and knew most of the guys in NW/N Central MT. There are some great taxidermists in that area - but as everywhere, some others that are not so much.... Glad you got him back and done - nice buck.

Guys name is Don Keever, and his shop is called "Anglers and Antlers". He's an artist alright...scam artist.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:46 pm

Looking awesome Cheese! Man thats going to be a fun day for you to hang’m both on the wall
to admire

Congratulations on the bucks and getting them into capable and trustworthy hands
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:16 pm

Those are looking good seaz!! Glad you got the first one back and he’s on a form now.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:01 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Curious who was the MT dingbat. I had a shop there for 7 years and knew most of the guys in NW/N Central MT. There are some great taxidermists in that area - but as everywhere, some others that are not so much.... Glad you got him back and done - nice buck.

Guys name is Don Keever, and his shop is called "Anglers and Antlers". He's an artist alright...scam artist.

I started volunteering for the Mule Deer Foundation non-profit last year. We had a meeting tonight, and it turns out the guy is a convicted poacher to boot. Hindsight is 20/20. Expensive lesson I learned there since the guy refused to refund me a single dollar of the $1200 I had deposited across 3 animals.

Anyway, on a happier note, they are almost done and a BIG THANKS to the Beast. The Beast and the community here totally changed how I hunt and my results too. Wouldn't have either one without what I've learned from everyone on this site.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:

I started volunteering for the Mule Deer Foundation non-profit last year. We had a meeting tonight, and it turns out the guy is a convicted poacher to boot. Hindsight is 20/20. Expensive lesson I learned there since the guy refused to refund me a single dollar of the $1200 I had deposited across 3 animals.

Anyway, on a happier note, they are almost done and a BIG THANKS to the Beast. The Beast and the community here totally changed how I hunt and my results too. Wouldn't have either one without what I've learned from everyone on this site.

yeah that's not anyone I knew but he sounds like a tool. glad you got your capes and horns back. the Beast has helped a lot of folks no doubt. best of luck in 2022
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:37 am

Those are looking great! Hopefully once they are up and on the wall the memory of the debacle will fade. Be sure to keep spreading that guys name around every chance you get. He deserves the negative advertising so others dont choose him as well.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:49 am

Those look great! Glad you got the one back finally.

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”