Texas Rifle Hunt

Post Hunts & Leases for sale + Questions about outfitters, leases ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter74201

Texas Rifle Hunt

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:34 am

me and a group of friends do a hunt together each year. usually a rut archery hunt in the midwest. this year, we were talking around the dinner table when someone realized that next year will be our 10th year doing these hunts. so, we decided that maybe we should do something different. we've discussed doing a gun hunt somewhere many times but have yet to do it so i think next year we may try to do a gun hunt in texas. going after deer and hogs, primarily deer. i've done some searching online, but man there's a ton of outfitters in texas! too many to choose from really. i was hoping to get some recommendations from anyone who has gone. anybody have any suggestions?

Tex

Re: Texas Rifle Hunt

Unread postby Tex » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm

I couldn't help but comment on the irony of this post since I spend as much time as I can traveling out of Texas to hunt the midwest. :lol:

I've hunted it all in Texas, though. Happy to give you some suggestions if you can maybe give a bit more detail of what kind of experience you might be looking for. My first suggestion is to decide what region you want to hunt, because when it comes to hunting Texas is basically 5 different states...sort of like hunting east Kansas and west Kansas or northwest nebraska and southeast nebraska.

Also budget will dictate things to some extent, although in Texas it is extremely common on the really big ranches to sell off management hunts for a very reasonable price. I hunted a place for 8 years where a "management buck" could very easily be a 140 inch mature buck, so certainly something to consider.

Also the rut will be much later. Thanksgiving in some places could be the pre-rut/seeking phase (correlating to Oct. 31 to Nov. 5 in midwest). End of December is often a great hunt because the deer are looking for food and it will overlap with the yearling rut.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 am

thanks tex. having never hunted there, i don't really know which part of the state to go. doesn't south tx have bigger deer? we'd probably want to do the hunt after they typical rut timing in the midwest.

price wise, i'd say 2-2.5k max, meals and lodging included.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:36 am

I've been waiting for someone to help you. I've not been to TX for deer and it isn't on my bucket list so I'm not of much use.

Have you tried the Texas deer hunting forums? Google will probably turn up one or two.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:23 am

thanks rich
crossfitcarpenter

Unread postby crossfitcarpenter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:me and a group of friends do a hunt together each year. usually a rut archery hunt in the midwest. this year, we were talking around the dinner table when someone realized that next year will be our 10th year doing these hunts. so, we decided that maybe we should do something different. we've discussed doing a gun hunt somewhere many times but have yet to do it so i think next year we may try to do a gun hunt in texas. going after deer and hogs, primarily deer. i've done some searching online, but man there's a ton of outfitters in texas! too many to choose from really. i was hoping to get some recommendations from anyone who has gone. anybody have any suggestions?

It really depends on what type of hunt you are really wanting. There are a number of good day leases on the Edwards Plateau aka Texas Hill Country if you want a compartment hunt where each guy has about eighty acres unguided. Lincoln and Winkel ranches are a couple. I would spend 3500 and do the management hunt on the iconic King Ranch. You can take a Nilgai for 1250 I believe. If you want a river bottom hunt take a look at Big Woods on the Trinity in East Texas. For a guaranteed kill hog hunt for cheap you can bait hogs on major sections of Angelina National Forest from mid February thru August.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 am

good info, thank you.
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:49 pm

"I would spend 3500 and do the management hunt", "You can take a Nilgai for 1250 I believe"

That's hunting? do they put it on a conveyor belt for you?

• Advertisement

Return to “Outfitters Guided Hunts and Leases”