First Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
CJ14

First Buck

Unread postby CJ14 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:41 pm

Well better late than never.

My 2021 season was my best so far. I was running a lot of public land spots that were good ones for me from the previous season seeing deer and even passing on a handful of does here and there. I had one encounter with what I would consider a monster buck being only a couple seasons into archery hunting. Around mid October I had a very nice 8 point that was somewhere around 120" walk right by me giving me plenty of shot opportunities only for me to hesitate and blow my chance. I was overthinking letting an arrow fly into this buck only slowly walking 10 yards by me. After that something changed in me. I was way too worried about killing a big buck when I do not have nearly enough deer under my belt to keep my confidence up sealing the deal when the opportunity presented itself. Fast forward two weeks later I decided to try a whole new piece of public and told myself to just let one go. This was a few days before the MN rifle opener so very close to rut if not in rut. I found an area where there were piles of oak trees no more than 100 yards from a road. I found plenty of sign to tell me this is either overlooked or never bowhunted. within 15 minutes of setting up I had a four does strut by to only have the lead doe catch my wind and send them all out of my life. after watching where they came through I found a great tree to setup in that would give me a chip shot if they decided to run the same trail. two weeks go by and I am finally having a morning sit in said tree. its November 13th in the heart of gun season. I count over 30 trucks on the way in but luckily no one near this little spot I had found. After a few hours I finally hear that crunch of leaves behind me. I take a quick look back and see antlers knowing I had seconds to grab my bow. I slowly reach for my bow but hear him stop. I have my hand on the grip waiting for him to take another step. 10 seconds go by and he is finally moving towards me again. I get the bow to my hands and see he is almost to my lane. I draw back and within 5 seconds of getting anchored and stopping him my arrow sails clear through his chest. At the ripe age of 26 at the time I finally arrowed my first buck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: First Buck

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 pm

Awesome story and sounds like a great little overlooked spot you found there. Best of luck this year
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:32 pm

Hey man! Awesome write up, awesome buck and story. Congrats!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
CJ14

Unread postby CJ14 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Thanks guys! Good luck to you both this season!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 pm

Congrats, first of many!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:10 am

Congrats :clap: :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:50 am

Awesome story! Congratulations :clap:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm

:clap: Way to go.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:56 am

CJ14 wrote:Well better late than never.

My 2021 season was my best so far. I was running a lot of public land spots that were good ones for me from the previous season seeing deer and even passing on a handful of does here and there. I had one encounter with what I would consider a monster buck being only a couple seasons into archery hunting. Around mid October I had a very nice 8 point that was somewhere around 120" walk right by me giving me plenty of shot opportunities only for me to hesitate and blow my chance. I was overthinking letting an arrow fly into this buck only slowly walking 10 yards by me. After that something changed in me. I was way too worried about killing a big buck when I do not have nearly enough deer under my belt to keep my confidence up sealing the deal when the opportunity presented itself. Fast forward two weeks later I decided to try a whole new piece of public and told myself to just let one go. This was a few days before the MN rifle opener so very close to rut if not in rut. I found an area where there were piles of oak trees no more than 100 yards from a road. I found plenty of sign to tell me this is either overlooked or never bowhunted. within 15 minutes of setting up I had a four does strut by to only have the lead doe catch my wind and send them all out of my life. after watching where they came through I found a great tree to setup in that would give me a chip shot if they decided to run the same trail. two weeks go by and I am finally having a morning sit in said tree. its November 13th in the heart of gun season. I count over 30 trucks on the way in but luckily no one near this little spot I had found. After a few hours I finally hear that crunch of leaves behind me. I take a quick look back and see antlers knowing I had seconds to grab my bow. I slowly reach for my bow but hear him stop. I have my hand on the grip waiting for him to take another step. 10 seconds go by and he is finally moving towards me again. I get the bow to my hands and see he is almost to my lane. I draw back and within 5 seconds of getting anchored and stopping him my arrow sails clear through his chest. At the ripe age of 26 at the time I finally arrowed my first buck.

That's a gr8 buck - congrats :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:59 am

You just made me perk up a little. Want be to much longer and stories will be being shared.

Good story! Good luck this coming season.
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 pm

:clap:
CJ14

Unread postby CJ14 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 pm

Thanks again! Getting excited for opener here soon and hopefully posting some more stories and reading all of your successes!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:34 am

Congrats! :clap:
I like deer hunting almost as much as I disdain communism. And I LOVE deer hunting…

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”