A few of my bow kills, public and private.

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buckeye

A few of my bow kills, public and private.

Unread postby buckeye » Thu May 08, 2014 4:13 pm

I was prompted a few times in a couple other threads to post some of my photos and stories. I will start out with this one and add to this thread with more photos and stories later.

I will start with this one, as it is my avatar photo and is by far my best history story, also my third highest scoring buck. Pretty proud of this guy, this story will be long.

Chapter One. 09/17/2008

Set up on the North end of a standing corn field facing South back toward the field my game camera snapped a series of 24 photos on September 17th, 2008 starting at 11:02 PM and ending at 11:25 PM. This was my first "encounter" with the buck that I have come to know as "The 4 Beam Buck". I never got another picture of him other than from this series, even while running two cameras on the property that year.

Chapter Two. 11/16/2008

On November 16th, 2008 not long after first light I could hear it.... The tell tale sound of chasing. A yearling buck ran a doe right underneath my stand with a big buck and numerous younger bucks lagging behind. I at first did not get a good look at the "big buck" because so many deer were converging on my location at once. I didn't want to get caught glassing any of them and have a good buck come in range with my attention else where.

I was then able to start glassing over the bucks. I went from dink to dink to respectable 2.5 year olds than BAM.... It's the "4 Beam Buck"! During all of the commotion the doe bedded about 45 yards from my tree. For the next couple hours he was chasing and putting on dominance displays toward these other bucks to protect his bedded doe, everything from pawing the ground, aggressively grunting. snorting and any mock charging them. The encounter wasn't meant to turn into a big buck and "hero" photos though as they left my area for good a few hours after they arrived.

Chapter Three. 03/13/2009

Shed season of 2008, I was lucky enough to stumble upon his right hand side shed. I was finally able to "get my hands on him". Here you can see he snapped off the kicker off of the "second beam", his G2 and G3.

Chapter four. 07/21/2009

My trail camera was again able to get a set of photos of this buck on the evening of July 21st. The camera was located on a bean field, approximately 80 yards from where his photos were taken the year before. I did not set up a trail camera in 2010 on this property as I knew he was still there and didn't feel the camera was neccessary.

Chapter five. 10/30/2010

With that evenings conditions, I knew right where I wanted to sit, a small creek crossing 50 to 70 yards down off of a man made swamp dyke covered in green brier and old clear cut slashings where I had located his bed while winter scouting. I had been waiting all year to get into this area, it is just so thick with green brier and it was near impossible to get into without running all the deer out of this clear cut regrowth / brier thicket. With the days high winds coming from the SSW steadily blowing into the 20's, I thought I could get into my pre-chosen tree. The high wind rustling the dry leaves would cover my noise and allow me to get in there and set up my Assault and sticks.

Throughout the evening I saw a few yearling bucks and a good up and comer 2.5 year old sparring and working over a scrape, it was fun to watch and I was pleased with the action for the very high winds for my area. At 10 minutes to 6 coming down off that dyke from my SE I hear that familiar big buck crunch, crunch, crunch. The unforgettable cadence those old bucks walk with... As he got closer I could hear that he was grunting with every step. I carefully slid my bow between the shag bark hickory tree and myself to get into position for a shot. I hit full draw... Said G.Y.S.T. (get your sh.. together), to myself to help prepare for the shot as he closed in on the creek crossing, I then released the string. A 6 yard double lung shot yielded a short 50 yard recovery and the final chapter for this buck and I.

He is at least 6.5 years old based on my history with him and very well could have been older.

The general direction he came from and the creek he crossed.

The direction he ran.

The happy hunter.

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: A few of my bow kills, public and private.

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Good stuff, Thanks for sharing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 pm

Great buck and cool story.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Sweet hunt, sweet buck, thanks for sharing!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Nice story and happy hunter indeed!!! :clap: :dance:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Thu May 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Great write up and nice buck, looking forward to hearing more stories.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 am

Outstanding! :clap:

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri May 09, 2014 1:15 am

:clap: :clap: 8-)
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 am

Great buck, thanks for sharing the story!

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri May 09, 2014 2:11 am

Awesome story, can't wait for more. 8-)
Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Fri May 09, 2014 2:23 am

Wish we had those I FL! Good job keeping focused over several years. Paid off for you.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri May 09, 2014 2:44 am

Awesome! Great buck, Love those HUGE brow tines, they're cool :character-beavisbutthead:
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 09, 2014 7:17 am

Great story and awesome buck! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri May 09, 2014 7:24 am

:clap:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”