CajunSwampStalker - Big Buck Down!!

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

CajunSwampStalker - Big Buck Down!!

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Congrats Cajunswampstalker!

CajunSwampStalker wrote:Wow what a year it has been !!!
First I’d like to thank God for allowing me to experience this harvest. And a big thanks to all the guys here who take their time to share their experience and knowledge.

Long story short .... I’ve chased a big buck on some private land behind the house, last year and beginning of this year. The land owner decided to clean up the woods and basically drove him out forcing me to really focus on public. Thanksgiving weekend drove north ..... scouted scouted scouted and got turned around not once but twice in two days lol. Found some really good sign but by the time I was ready to hunt it was time to come home. Fast forward two months later, (lots of things going on in family life, limited time in the field) I decided to give this place another shot after getting shook up a bit about getting lost. In the past I was always focused on the kill as where the last two years was about enjoying Gods creation.
I took off Friday morning with intentions of staying gone til Monday, camping, scouting, and hunting. If I get meat great .....

Friday was tough... wasn’t finding much sign. By the time I found decent sign it was a half hour before closing. Set up, 5 minutes til closing, bow on the ground, hogs everywhere!!! Saturday morning I woke up and kept replaying the words in my head,scout scout scout scout hunt . Did just that. Went scout another area I had been cyber stalking. Left there around 10am to climb in my stand I setup Friday night.
Low and behold this guy is running hog dogs right by my set. Not to mention the hog that almost took me out crossing the trail !!!! Shot,grazed his back , counted my blessing and walked on. Climbed up my tree, dogs chased things around me for at least two hours, guy riding four wheeler all over, finally some peace and quite. Hour goes by and decided this spot is ruined. Dropped bow down , a hog !!! Couldn’t get a shot !! Then the thought came maybe I’m not out the game. Decided to stick it out. Exactly a hour later 3:40pm I catch a glimpse of movement out the corner of my eye. DEER !!! I get ready, then it presents itself!!! BIG BUCK OH !! My thoughts exactly!! He walks down the trail as I anticipated, coming from a bedding area directly behind with the wind in his back. He gets 5 yards from my shooting lane and stops !! Heart about to explode I gather my composure. We stare down each other for what seemed like eternity. He knows something isn’t right in the tree. Turns around and is walking away. I draw hoping to get a quartering away shot at 30 yards through a tiny window. He decides to turn back and follow the waters edge instead of the trail while ducking behind bushes doing scent checks. My time to draw, I crouch down in my lock on as I draw, and stop him in my lane at 20 yards. Stopped him with a MAAAHH and let it rip !! Miss judging the distance and shaking like a leaf in a hurricane it hit high directly in the spine. He went down immediately. As I gathered my emotions I slipped another one in him to seal the deal. Oh man what a feeling!!! Second deer ever, first bow kill !!!!!

I know I said I’d keep it short ... lol

Thanks again to you guys !! Lots of great info here !! Thanks again hunter_mike for posting pictures!!
Last edited by hunter_mike on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added story to first post

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
may21581
500 Club

Re: CajunSwampStalker - Big Buck Down!!

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Nice buck! Good job sticking it out till the end. Gotta love the late season.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Congrats!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Wow what a year it has been !!!
First I’d like to thank God for allowing me to experience this harvest. And a big thanks to all the guys here who take their time to share their experience and knowledge.

Long story short .... I’ve chased a big buck on some private land behind the house, last year and beginning of this year. The land owner decided to clean up the woods and basically drove him out forcing me to really focus on public. Thanksgiving weekend drove north ..... scouted scouted scouted and got turned around not once but twice in two days lol. Found some really good sign but by the time I was ready to hunt it was time to come home. Fast forward two months later, (lots of things going on in family life, limited time in the field) I decided to give this place another shot after getting shook up a bit about getting lost. In the past I was always focused on the kill as where the last two years was about enjoying Gods creation.
I took off Friday morning with intentions of staying gone til Monday, camping, scouting, and hunting. If I get meat great .....

Friday was tough... wasn’t finding much sign. By the time I found decent sign it was a half hour before closing. Set up, 5 minutes til closing, bow on the ground, hogs everywhere!!! Saturday morning I woke up and kept replaying the words in my head,scout scout scout scout hunt . Did just that. Went scout another area I had been cyber stalking. Left there around 10am to climb in my stand I setup Friday night.
Low and behold this guy is running hog dogs right by my set. Not to mention the hog that almost took me out crossing the trail !!!! Shot,grazed his back , counted my blessing and walked on. Climbed up my tree, dogs chased things around me for at least two hours, guy riding four wheeler all over, finally some peace and quite. Hour goes by and decided this spot is ruined. Dropped bow down , a hog !!! Couldn’t get a shot !! Then the thought came maybe I’m not out the game. Decided to stick it out. Exactly a hour later 3:40pm I catch a glimpse of movement out the corner of my eye. DEER !!! I get ready, then it presents itself!!! BIG BUCK OH !! My thoughts exactly!! He walks down the trail as I anticipated, coming from a bedding area directly behind with the wind in his back. He gets 5 yards from my shooting lane and stops !! Heart about to explode I gather my composure. We stare down each other for what seemed like eternity. He knows something isn’t right in the tree. Turns around and is walking away. I draw hoping to get a quartering away shot at 30 yards through a tiny window. He decides to turn back and follow the waters edge instead of the trail while ducking behind bushes doing scent checks. My time to draw, I crouch down in my lock on as I draw, and stop him in my lane at 20 yards. Stopped him with a MAAAHH and let it rip !! Miss judging the distance and shaking like a leaf in a hurricane it hit high directly in the spine. He went down immediately. As I gathered my emotions I slipped another one in him to seal the deal. Oh man what a feeling!!! Second deer ever, first bow kill !!!!!

I know I said I’d keep it short ... lol

Thanks again to you guys !! Lots of great info here !! Thanks again hunter_mike for posting pictures!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Congrats on a dandy Cajun! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Nice swamp buck, the picture of him in the pirogue was great. Congrats!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:24 pm

That’s a great deer man :clap: Loved the story and the excitement in your “voice”. ;) that’s what it’s all about man!!

Congrats on your first bow kill. I’m sure you’re about as addicted as the rest of us! 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:57 pm

Congrats. Great buck. :clap:
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:47 pm

Congratulations! :clap:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:22 pm

That is a great story! Can't imagine how many guys would have just gave up after all that noise around your setup. Nice work!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Congrats!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 am

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:22 am

Congrats!
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 am

Congratulations! :clap:
218er
500 Club