Anti-Climactic Iowa

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Anti-Climactic Iowa

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:40 pm

After applying for Iowa points for 6 years, I finally had enough points (and the time to hunt) to apply for the Golden Ticket this Summer. With 6 points, it was no surprise that I drew my Zone 5 Iowa tag. A little discouraged by the ever increasing popularity of The Hunting Public, I reminded myself that the non-resident tag quota is essentially the same every year, and that hunting pressure should be viewed as a constant from year to year. I almost decided to apply for another zone, but decided to stick with the original plan, hunting pressure and all.

Long story short, I had 3 or 4 areas that I knew would definitely produce. A few days into the hunt, I wounded a very nice 8pt hunting CRP with no trees nearby and a bow mounted stalker decoy. The buck spotted the decoy (with me behind it) about 110 yards away. I grunted (even though it was a doe decoy) and he came marching in. He got a little suspicious and turned broadside. I drew, stood up to clear the CRP and sent an arrow. I didn't risk popping out from behind the decoy to rangefind the distance, which was probably a mistake in hindsight. I tracked that buck over 900 yards before I lost blood. I am 90% confident I hit him in "no man's land" because when I ranged after the shot, he was 8 yards closer than I estimated. Left to right arrow flight looked perfect. High hit is the only thing that makes sense.

IA Arrow.PNG

I hunted this property for 2 more days and had some really close (5 yards and 7 yards) encounters with some 2 year old bucks on the ground, which was a lot of fun. I also saw a really wide 8pt that had to be 140+, but unfortunately I spooked him.

The morning of November 3rd was some of the best weather in the forecast for a while, so I decided to hit what I thought was the best looking piece I scouted. It was a LONG walk through marsh grass and deadfall, to a bedding area on an interior transition. When I scouted it the week before, I jumped lots of deer and saw no human sign. Two wet areas funneled movement perfect for a bowhunter. I KNEW this was a killer spot. I started out 1.5 hours before daylight, and ended up finally climbing in the tree about 15 minutes before sunrise. I made a big loop to keep the wind right and come in from the opposite direction I expected movement. About 10 minutes after climbing into my stand, I saw my first deer. From 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., I saw 10 does and 5 bucks. I passed 2 bucks, one I am absolutely sure was bigger, working a scrape at 20 yards.

I shot the 5th buck at 11 a.m. He came out of a thick bedding area to my left that the majority of the other deer and went into during the morning and worked a scrape at 20 yards. I got a 10-15 second looking at him. I thought he was bigger, plain and simple. Perfect shot and he made it about 50 yards. Ended up scoring 118", about 20" shy of my goal. Not apologizing or looking for acceptance from strangers on the internet. I set a goal for myself, and I didn't meet that goal. That's how it goes sometimes. Disappointed in myself, especially since I saw so many big bucks and had lots of time left to hunt, but also thankful to have my health and opportunity to go on the hunt. Speaking of health, tested positive for the ol' Covid on 11/11/2021. Doing well, just lingering dry cough, same symptoms I had in Mar 2020, when I'm 90% sure I had it that time (didn't get tested then, tests were much harder to come by).

Anyway, Iowa deer hunting lives up to the hype, even if I don't. I'll be back to Iowa in 5 or 6 years to try again.

IA Buck 2.PNG

IA Buck.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jackson Marsh

Re: Anti-Climactic Iowa

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:55 pm

Congrats seaz!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:06 pm

Congrats on the Dink :lol: :clap:
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Congrats seaz! Sounds like you were in them and had a fun hunt. I understand missing the goal but that’s a pretty good deer and a great experience. Congrats again
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Congrats Seaz! Man sounds like you had a great time
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Congratulations Jeremy! That’s a great buck anywhere and sounds like you made awesome memories!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:57 pm

Congrats! Sounds like it was well worth the trip
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Congrats on a successful hunt!
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:18 pm

Sounds like a VERY fun hunt!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:26 pm

Congrats cheese!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:38 pm

:clap: nice write up of some great hunting! Congrats !
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:15 pm

Congrats Seaz. :clap: 8-)

Nothing wrong with that buck. Ending that hunting trip on a high note after wounding one earlier is what’s important. You can always meet your goals with your next tag. You filled your first Iowa tag and that’s something to be proud of. I ate my tag last year so it can always be worse. :lol:
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:25 am

sounds like an awesome trip Seaz congrats on a fine buck

was it tough getting that buck out of the woods?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:57 am

:clap: congrats
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:07 am

Congrats! :clap:

Ground shrinkage sucks, but that’s still a nice buck.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”