2021 Bucks

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

2021 Bucks

Unread postby Trout » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:44 am

I have been so busy this season and haven't had time to post a story for either of the bucks I killed so I thought I'd just share both stories in one post.

Bow Buck
20211108_111317.jpg

I got my bow buck on 11/7. While scouting my way out the day before I ran across a super fresh scrape and rub line coming out of a thick draw into a CRP field. I decided to come back the next morning in my ghillie suit and sit in the CRP and see what I saw. I was moving in during grey light and bumped a super tall racked buck about where I wanted to be. There was a narrow strip of briars and small trees and he trotted towards the other end of it. My gut told me he was going to circle around behind me around the ither side ofnthe briar strip thinking I would follow him so I came around the other end and started to stalk towards where he ran. Unbeknownst to me, there was a shallow draw along the edge of the CRP he was coming up and we were suddenly staring at each other at 40yds.

At least that's what I first thought.

He bumped again and I soon realized the 2nd encounter was a different buck as I got a better look at his rack. Both bucks were in the 120-130 range and I felt pretty excited about the encounters and started making my way to my original destination. 10 steps later, a doe and ANOTHER big buck jumped up from the strip of briars. I realized what was going on, that doe was hot and she had the boys lined up. I set up a short distance away and tried rattling about 20 minutes later hoping I could draw one of the bucks back. After a few rattling sequences I moved to a spot on the ground closer to where I saw the first buck and was standing there in a small spot of shade on the edge of the CRP. A friend sent me a video clip from where he was hunting and I'm standing there watching this video on my phone and here comes another buck. He had a 2.5 year old body and a small basket rack. I dropped my phone and froze as he stared me down. He went back to moving and I dropped to a knee. He came to 30yds and I drew, when he hit 25 I shot. He was slightly downhill and the arrow went a little high, spining him and dropping him in his tracks.

Gun Buck

20211127_112942.jpg

Our gun season opens on 11/15 every year and goes to 11/30. I couldn't get out until 11/28. I decided to stillhunt and glass my way through several hillcountry bedding areas that set up well for the wind direction that morning. It was about 20 degrees out with a strong east wind. The first bedding area only had one doe grazing through a small select cut.

My stomach started rumbling as I made my way to the next spot and as I got there it was clear that I either had to let the demon out of my belly or crap my pants. I started shedding layers and just as I was ready to do my thing, a group of 6 does appeared and made there way from left to right at 100yds. I glassed for horns and went back to my business when there weren't any, but kept a close watch on the area they appeared from for a buck following. All of the sudden two deer appear there, I pick up my binos and as I find them again they start fighting, they're probably 250yds away and I finished going to the bathroom and started getting my clothes back on as I listened to their antlers cracking together. I grabbed my rangefinder and had a heck of a time finding them in the viewfinder, but eventually did and the biggest bodied of the two was at about 240yds. I lost sight of the other one as I got my rifle and sat down in the snow and tried to relocate the bigger deer. Finally found him and shot. He ran about 30yds in a j hook pattern and dropped. I thought he was a big bodied 2.5 but had him aged and turns out he was a 3.5 year old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PK_
500 Club

Re: 2021 Bucks

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:40 am

Now that’s a crappy hunt.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:13 am

Nice! :clap:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:52 am

Man now that’s an adventure right there :lol:
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:57 am

Congrats!!
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:03 pm

Congrats trout!

Last kill made me laugh :lol:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Two great hunts Trout. Congrats on tagging out.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:15 pm

Congratulations man.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:28 pm

Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information