Just doing my thing

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Just doing my thing

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:50 pm

So managed to hit our rifle opener again, pardon me firearms opener in Michigan. Well the last 5 years I have been in decline on hunting, for some reason :whistle:

I just shoot anything I have a tag in my pocket for if it is bigger than a rabbit. Actually I would shoot a squirrel too, I like them also. So I did get a chance at the end of October to tag a couple does in the UP on my way back from MN. Anyway.

This was kinda cool, anyone that has been following on here for a while knows that not only am I not a big buck killer, but I also like to stretch my legs. So I am in the Huron National Forest on November 15, more hunters than I have seen in many, many years. The deer numbers have been way down in our area the last few years, so I branched out to hit a new part of it. Love hunting ground that I have never set foot on.

No snow, just below freezing temps, so terrible walking conditions. I started at first light so I wouldn't screw too many hunters up. Walked not very far from the truck and as quietly as possible kicked some leaves out. Standing on dirt and taking in a small valley and things erupt behind me. 4 does come in, I put the gun on the lead, she looked big enough. Nothing but hair in the scope and I cut loose. She runs straight at me and turns to her hard left and over a ridge and gone. What the heck, how did I miss. Deer fly everywhere. Gun shot just over the hill, figured I bumped one to another hunter, cool. I stand there trying to sort things out for about 10-20 minutes (who knows really how long, but long for me, I am really impatient).

I walk to where the deer stopped and its about 5 yards away, walk another 5 yards (that's 10 yards total for those challenged) and holy moly charles manson type blood. Follow the trail over the ridge and there she lay, a whole 50 yard run. So in my haste and not knowing what happened, I got to back up a second. There was another deer standing below me that I thought could of been her. So I take a follow up. Follow ups for me are put lead in them, not as clean as I like but I shot again. So after that one ran off, I find mine, tag it and walk down. As I walk down I see orange. The man is talking loudly, which I do not like anything loud, so I just walk up to him. He said he shot one. The second shot I heard, and he said mine ran that away and he pointed down valley. I said mine is laying up there, but since I shot again I thought I would explore.

I cheated, I posted these same pics in a pic post last night, but at least they were loaded in postimage. Anyway. I am standing there with a stranger and he doesn't know what to do. He said his uncle is aways away and will come help him. So I introduce myself, I say hi I am dan Infalt (now that is freaking funny if you read this far). Not - I said I am Lou, and if you don't know what to do, this is your lucky day. So I help him cut his tag, tag it, then I gut it for him. He drug his on the ridge out (it wasn't very big), and I went to take care of mine. When I got mine out he was at his truck. His name is Glen from Romulus (that is by the Detroit Airport if anyone is wondering). And that is my story. Just doing my thing.

I have not hunted since the opener and the few days following. I have two tags left and God help any animals that want to freeze their butts off the rest of the winter, otherwise you two can come with me, I have room in the freezer.

I did walk around for a couple hours after I got mine in the truck to see if I could have hit the other. Didn't find hair or blood and not certain what happened other than a potential desperate follow up shot.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tsom
500 Club

Re: Just doing my thing

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Nice! Doing better than I am. NH season just ended today and all o got is tags. Found out we got snow coming Saturday though, I'm right on the MA border and their muzzy season runs till 31st. Might just get me a tag for a Christmas present ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Congrats Lou. :dance:

We need to teach you how to take timer controlled hero pics with your smartphone so we can see your smile. :D
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:06 pm

Lou that had to be as fun as the read!! Congratulations on the deer and making a new Pal with Glen
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:32 pm

Dewey wrote:Congrats Lou. :dance:

We need to teach you how to take timer controlled hero pics with your smartphone so we can see your smile. :D

Just for you Dewey, me posing with Andrew in the UP, on my trip where I was just passing through. 1stStrangewilderness for all you BEASTs.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
Dewey wrote:Congrats Lou. :dance:

Just for you Dewey, me posing with Andrew in the UP, on my trip where I was just passing through. 1stStrangewilderness for all you BEASTs.

:handgestures-thumbup:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Congrats Lou! :dance:
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:58 am

Congrats....that freezer is getting full.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:57 am

Way to go Lou! I love your storytelling :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:03 am

hunting_dad wrote:Way to go Lou! I love your storytelling :lol:

Well put!

Great stuff Lou! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:44 am

Always a good feeling to put venison in the freezer. Congrats.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:42 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:Congrats....that freezer is getting full.

A couple times this year, I thought to myself that I am going Eddiegomes on them this year. I still have 3 tags, and even though I haven't hunted in almost a month, I am not done.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:23 pm

Awesome. Good on you for helping the guy out. That’s bonus points for future hunts from the deer gods.
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:29 am

Congratulations!
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:26 am

Well done, sir! :clap:
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”