We’ll call her… BUCK

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

We’ll call her… BUCK

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:33 am

Well, I came so close to being able to post in the zone this past fall. Numerous times. I was enjoying the challenge. If there was anyone in my neck of the woods grinding harder.. I’d love to meet em!

Anyhow after rifle season things got rough. My wife was due around Christmas and I was feeling that the hunting was going to go down to the wire.I was on nothing for weeks. I daydreamed about how cool it would be to tag a giant like the day before or day of the birth. One buck in particular.

Dec 20th I got in the tree at like 5 am to await this nice buck (tho he wasn’t the biggest On my radar) Here he was right at shooting hrs. Moving slower than ever. Long story short I missed that deer shooting through some unknown brush. I decided I would stay on him. He came through the next am but it was before shooting hrs.

The winds were shifting late am and I decided to go sit for this different jumbo 8pt in the afternoon. My cams had been dead and pulled from the area but I had hope he was there and the inclement weather would get him moving. The pressure had been of for about 10 days.

When the weather hit.. my tree started rocking like crazy. I could hardly open my eyes cus the snow stung so bad. It had been a long rough year. Is anything going to move in this? Am I gonna get blown out of the tree? Will we have power when I get home? Should I just get down? No.screw that. I don’t mess around. Sure enough the extreme gusts start to fade..here he comes with about 10 min to go. Poking some does around but almost half heartedly perhaps because the windchill was below zero.

He presented me a 35 yd shot and I knew it was all I was going to get. I was not on a stable platform but I drilled him. For once I was dead calm, not shaking or anything. I was like a robot. The shot sounded great. When I found my arrow there wasn’t much blood and lots of hair. I started following tracks by the hair in them and blood was like somebody took a shaker of red died salt and just sprinkled it here or there on the fresh snow. Then I was finding frozen blood on the trees up high. I tracked 200 yds and the buck had never stopped running. I backed out and went home to lay awake in bed all night.

Of course I was killing time on the beast and my lord did I get a pick me up from many generous friends in the kill zone rooting for me. Which I needed because my mind was starting to go to dark places on the shot scenario. In the am I found better blood and it wasn’t letting up. This deer was heading exactly where I thought his bedroom was. And after a total of about 550-600 of some zig zagging that’s where I arrived. (250yds as a crow flies) I seen him laying in the edge of a clearing. Total of 6 beds. 1 lung and liver. Shot placement looked great on entry, a bit back but not too far. the angle downward was extremely sharp. Weird how steep it was. Came out in the white belly hair though I hit about 2” above dead center

Anyhow I pretty much lost it, unreal. I went so hard and I knew my wife was scheduled for c section the 27th, this was basically “the last day of season” for me. I retrieve the buck and go show a friend, get it aged at the dnr, on my way home the wife calls and says you better get moving it’s time to have the baby. I got home and her vehicle was running ready to roll.

So last night we added another daughter to the family. My buddy text me what’s the name? I told him We weren’t sure yet. He said I think we call her BUCK. BUCK, for sure.
How amazing
I’m sitting on top of the world

Again, thank you to everyone for the support and kind words on the live from the field thread I was wigging out on. Also thanks to the guys I’ve bounced ideas off of and taken many tips and suggestions from over this season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: We’ll call her… BUCK

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:40 am

We named her Ada but buck might be a nickname :lol:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:55 am

Awesome deer and what a story, you pushed it right to the wire with the baby on the way! That's a perfect season, if you ask me. Lots of hunting, a buck, and a new baby, well done!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:58 am

Congrats on the new baby and nice buck!! My wife would have killed me if I was out hunting when she was that close to her due date. Haha
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:07 am

Congrats on the baby and the great buck. That’s awesome. Looks like your gonna have a great Christmas. Congrats. :clap: 8-)
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:08 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:We named her Ada but buck might be a nickname :lol:

I was about to ask :lol:

Dude, that’s an awesome couple of days right there!

How amazing and memorable. Just awesome all the way around.

Soak it up my friend!

Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:16 am

Big congrats!
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:18 am

Congratulations again man. That’s an awesome story and great buck :clap: :clap: :clap:
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:55 am

Amazing way to end the season!!! Congratulations on the baby and the buck!
Haste makes waste
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:52 am

Congrats on the buck, & Buck! That is a stud of a deer!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:56 am

Congrats!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:57 am

Man what an awesome way to end the year. Congrats on that slammer buck and a beautiful daughter.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:01 am

Awesome!! Congratulations
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:10 am

Double congrats. What an exciting week for you and your family.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:16 am

Congrats. Love a nice late season buck

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”