First Buck

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CJ14

First Buck

Unread postby CJ14 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:41 pm

Well better late than never.

My 2021 season was my best so far. I was running a lot of public land spots that were good ones for me from the previous season seeing deer and even passing on a handful of does here and there. I had one encounter with what I would consider a monster buck being only a couple seasons into archery hunting. Around mid October I had a very nice 8 point that was somewhere around 120" walk right by me giving me plenty of shot opportunities only for me to hesitate and blow my chance. I was overthinking letting an arrow fly into this buck only slowly walking 10 yards by me. After that something changed in me. I was way too worried about killing a big buck when I do not have nearly enough deer under my belt to keep my confidence up sealing the deal when the opportunity presented itself. Fast forward two weeks later I decided to try a whole new piece of public and told myself to just let one go. This was a few days before the MN rifle opener so very close to rut if not in rut. I found an area where there were piles of oak trees no more than 100 yards from a road. I found plenty of sign to tell me this is either overlooked or never bowhunted. within 15 minutes of setting up I had a four does strut by to only have the lead doe catch my wind and send them all out of my life. after watching where they came through I found a great tree to setup in that would give me a chip shot if they decided to run the same trail. two weeks go by and I am finally having a morning sit in said tree. its November 13th in the heart of gun season. I count over 30 trucks on the way in but luckily no one near this little spot I had found. After a few hours I finally hear that crunch of leaves behind me. I take a quick look back and see antlers knowing I had seconds to grab my bow. I slowly reach for my bow but hear him stop. I have my hand on the grip waiting for him to take another step. 10 seconds go by and he is finally moving towards me again. I get the bow to my hands and see he is almost to my lane. I draw back and within 5 seconds of getting anchored and stopping him my arrow sails clear through his chest. At the ripe age of 26 at the time I finally arrowed my first buck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: First Buck

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:06 pm

Awesome story and sounds like a great little overlooked spot you found there. Best of luck this year
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:32 pm

Hey man! Awesome write up, awesome buck and story. Congrats!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
CJ14

Unread postby CJ14 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:48 pm

Thanks guys! Good luck to you both this season!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 pm

Congrats, first of many!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:10 am

Congrats :clap: :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:50 am

Awesome story! Congratulations :clap:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm

:clap: Way to go.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:56 am

CJ14 wrote:Well better late than never.

My 2021 season was my best so far. I was running a lot of public land spots that were good ones for me from the previous season seeing deer and even passing on a handful of does here and there. I had one encounter with what I would consider a monster buck being only a couple seasons into archery hunting. Around mid October I had a very nice 8 point that was somewhere around 120" walk right by me giving me plenty of shot opportunities only for me to hesitate and blow my chance. I was overthinking letting an arrow fly into this buck only slowly walking 10 yards by me. After that something changed in me. I was way too worried about killing a big buck when I do not have nearly enough deer under my belt to keep my confidence up sealing the deal when the opportunity presented itself. Fast forward two weeks later I decided to try a whole new piece of public and told myself to just let one go. This was a few days before the MN rifle opener so very close to rut if not in rut. I found an area where there were piles of oak trees no more than 100 yards from a road. I found plenty of sign to tell me this is either overlooked or never bowhunted. within 15 minutes of setting up I had a four does strut by to only have the lead doe catch my wind and send them all out of my life. after watching where they came through I found a great tree to setup in that would give me a chip shot if they decided to run the same trail. two weeks go by and I am finally having a morning sit in said tree. its November 13th in the heart of gun season. I count over 30 trucks on the way in but luckily no one near this little spot I had found. After a few hours I finally hear that crunch of leaves behind me. I take a quick look back and see antlers knowing I had seconds to grab my bow. I slowly reach for my bow but hear him stop. I have my hand on the grip waiting for him to take another step. 10 seconds go by and he is finally moving towards me again. I get the bow to my hands and see he is almost to my lane. I draw back and within 5 seconds of getting anchored and stopping him my arrow sails clear through his chest. At the ripe age of 26 at the time I finally arrowed my first buck.

That's a gr8 buck - congrats :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:59 am

You just made me perk up a little. Want be to much longer and stories will be being shared.

Good story! Good luck this coming season.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:07 pm

:clap:
CJ14

Unread postby CJ14 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 pm

Thanks again! Getting excited for opener here soon and hopefully posting some more stories and reading all of your successes!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:34 am

Congrats! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Matt Gill
500 Club

Unread postby Matt Gill » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:04 pm

Congrats man!
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:55 pm

Good read! Thanks for sharing…
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”