Toughest buck I’ve ever met

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Toughest buck I’ve ever met

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:46 pm

Haven’t had much time afield this season with work, wife, life and the kids. Honestly, it’s just part of the challenges we all either embrace or succumb to.

My buddy had seen a few good bucks cruising through this expansive briar patch on a local WMA. It’s got a lot of tall green briar and cane. He didn’t get much for a shot last time he was in there, but wanted to give it a another go with some back up to cover a few different spots in the same area. He said the 3 of us should go in there today and setup a 1/4 mile triangle in there and one of us or a few of us might get a chance.

Dan told a story in his last rut video of a small buck noticing permanent stand locations and looking for them. That stuck with me today and when my buddy told me to hunt that climber that he had left out there for a few seasons I knew I wanted to move it at least 100 yards.

I move the stand and get the stand setup around 11:45am hoping for the best. We had all planned to hunt till dark, even if one of us shot early. As I’m sitting there scanning, after only 45 minutes after being set. I catch movement and a rack with a frame moving left to right behind me 60 yards. I remember telling myself “shoot that buck!”

I twist around the tree and the deer is on a fast trot. He’s coming from where I walked in at and now I’m really in a hurry. I got him in crosshairs with my 220 and shot before I shouldered the gun. Whoom I felt the recoil with my face. Stupid and rushed mistake but the deer kept running another 50 yards and stopped under some brush. Blood is pouring down my face and the deer isn’t going down.

I saw his rack and shot again. The second shot scattered leaves but he didn’t drop. He ran 25 yards into another thicket and appeared to go down. As I’m trying to figure out if the deer is hit and why he didn’t look hit I noticed all the blood dripped all over me and the gun.

I remember ridiculing morons who scope themselves in the past. Wondering how that would ever happen and now Ive joined the scope ring club.

Im waiting and watching for thrashing and crashing or grunting and groaning but I get nothing. After the second shot he stood up 5 minutes later appeared to brush it off and walk away. Unbelievable! He’s up and walking away!!!

Now I’m scrambling to get another shell in the gun and get it reloaded. As he’s walking away I shot a 3rd time. Why isn’t this gun working? He turns 90 degrees and walks into a dried up slough broadside at 100 yards and I busted him a 4th time. This time he ran off out of sight but no noise.

No way I missed that buck 4 times. Tracking in this stuff is a challenge and I hope I’ve got him. I sat there for 30 minutes praying. This area doesn’t have good cell service but I know my buddies must be thinking what in the world am I up against?

I get down and my eye is clotted up so no worries about creating my own blood trail.

I cut his trail where I shot him first and find a spec of blood. Good. Then I go to last place I saw him in the slough and see a sliding hood print. No blood! Oh no! I see one small spec of blood heading into more green briar. At this point I’ve only got two shells left but they are loaded in the gun and the scope is zoomed out for close quarters blasting.

I move 10 yards past last place I saw him and he’s piled up with an unspeakable number of holes through him. I wasn’t missing he just was too busy on his rut course to have time to die. I shot him 4 times at 12:30p

He’s a great buck and I’m so blessed to have him. I’m also blessed to have good trust worthy buddies who I can share info with. My buddies kept hunting till dark. I went and got cart and got him out to the trail. He was the only deer seen on this trip but he was as tough as a coffin nail!

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Toughest buck I’ve ever met

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:59 am

Congrats on a dandy buck :dance: :dance:

Adding your blood just makes the story better :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:00 am

:D 8-) :clap: :dance:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:11 am

Nice buck and a scar to remember it by!!
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:41 am

Thanks! I’m still reading along with Tennhunter, I’m sure he’s gonna get a good one soon!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:39 am

Tough deer and hunter!! Man those scope scars are hard earned and never forgotten

Thats a dandy Buck CONGRATULATIONS :clap: :dance:
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:03 am

Congrats on the nice buck

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”