Wolves Get All The Credit

Share and Showcase your hunting success stories.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KLEMZ

Wolves Get All The Credit

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:49 pm

I have hunted Wisconsin northwoods for over thirty years. There were a lot of deer back in the early days, but that has changed slowly over the decades, and now hunters are leaving Wisconsin northwoods in droves heading to greener pastures for killing mature bucks. Wolves are the main scapegoat.

Basically, I now have 3 million acres of national forest to myself. Not to mention county and state lands. Thanks wolves!

Each year is different, and this year was the most abundant acorn crop I have ever encountered. Literally every red oak was dropping acorns. Eventually I figured out that the deer did not need to expose themselves in order to feed on acorns. There were vast areas of open ridges loaded with tons of acorns that were untouched by deer. The key was to find spots with thick bedding cover immediatly adjacent to oaks that were also mixed with some pines for cover.

On the second to last day I scouted an area with known doe bedding cover and oaks as described. I found disturbed leaves in the oaks. I was set up by 2 pm. I saw 2 different doe groups come out of bedding and feed around me. I also had a young buck cruise past. The next day was forcast to be the same wind so I went back in to the same tree the next morning (which I almost never do).

I was set up shortly after gray light and had 4 different young bucks cruise past by 10:30, all upwind of the bedding, but between bedding and the acorns. It was a light drizzle rain day that never stopped. It rained all day. At 3:35 I again caught movement about 75 yards away. I instinctivley stood up and got my feet into position for a potential shot. Well, a giant rack was floating my way and I searched for shooting lanes trying to gauge his path. I ended up shooting at 25 yards at a slowly walking deer without stopping him. The shot looked good and I could see only the fletching sticking out so I knew I had an exit hole. He bolted out of sight at 100 yards and was swerving like he was drunk so I knew he was hurting. I marked a compass reading to his last known spot. 1 minute later the sky opened up and started pouring rain and didn't stop till the next morning. We had 2" of rain that night so there was no chance of a blood trail.

The next morning (still pouring rain) my buddy and I went in and found him exactly where I had lost sight of him. Thank goodness I double lunged him, because there was zero chance of following his trail.

minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Re: Wolves Get All The Credit

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:52 pm

Congrats that's a giant!
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:56 pm

That is one of the coolest bucks I've ever seen man! Congrats!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:03 pm

That’s an awesome northwoods buck. Love that chocolate rack. Huge congrats to you Klemz. :clap: 8-)

I was one of those who faded away from hunting the northwoods mostly due to lack of deer which of course had wolves factored in. Truth is poor deer management in the early 2000’s is what really wiped out the herd. After almost 25 years I moved on but still miss it every year.

Every time I see one of your nice bucks killed in the northwoods it makes me think about hunting up there again. Nice seeing the bigwoods can still produce a quality buck like that. Gives me hope that it’s still possible.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:08 pm

That’s a stud! Congrats
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:13 pm

Congrats klemz!! That's a beauty!! Great little nugget of strategy buried in there with the acorn situation
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Congrats!! That is a monster. Love that chocolate rack.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:30 pm

That is a HAMMER. What a frame, and with a longbow?

Just incredible.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Dandy rack and what beautiful and unique rack coloration.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Oh man...this is next level deer hunting! I am always amazed at the amount of knowledge the people have on this forum. Inspirational indeed! And I agree with others..what a cool looking deer!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:50 pm

When I think of a north woods monarch, your buck is what I picture. Phenomenal :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:29 pm

Tanker of a north woods buck congrats!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:36 pm

My Lord, that is a magnificent northwoods buck Klemz!

Just absolutely gorgeous!

So happy for you! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:48 pm

Congrats klemz, what a tank of a buck. Them big north woods buck are few and far between nowadays. But when you know what your doing your going to drop them consistently.

I’m surprised that you have a bumper crop of acorns in your hunting area. Most of the acorns around where I hunt have been gone since mid October.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Congrats on an amazing deer!

• Advertisement

Return to “Kill Zone”